• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this for real? Restless skulls? oh wow...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm the same way, although I did make arrangements--while I am alive I hope for a resurrection and what the Bible promises -- everlasting life as God promises. Revelation 21:1-5. (When a person is dead, he knows nothing. So while I'm alive I look forward to a resurrection...) Jesus resurrected his friend Lazarus (John chapter 11). It's a very interesting and encouraging read in the Bible.
I agree for the most part. I mean, I see my body as a part of me but basically a shell.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No. In the Bible when you die you die and dead you remain until the Day of Judgment when Jehovah will resurrect the dead and judge them to every lasting life in the Kingdom or eternally destroy them in the Lake of Fire.
There is a passage with the furnace, but it's more consistent that they are cast into outer darkness.
The Catholic Funerary Mass Libera Me even mentions something about being saved from eternal death.
That's not what the traditional Christian view is, where after you die you're taken to be judged immediately after death and then sent to Heaven or Hell (or possibly Purgatory in Catholicism), where your soul remains until you are reunited with your body at the Resurrection and you continue in Heaven or Hell, but with your body as well. The NT updates the afterlife teachings as Jesus taught about Heaven and Hell and that the soul continues to exist after death. The small minority of sects that teach otherwise, like JWs, basically ignore those verses or twist them out of shape to make it seem like they're saying something else. That's why they constantly quote the OT and ignore what Jesus says and the NT in general on the topic, which is a reversal of what Christians should be doing.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It is God that enables life. Since you value the body so much, it is God that enables the body also. That is why mutilating the body is not right. But skulls do not talk; they do not have feelings; they do not know anything. Similarly there are memorials throughout the world in honor of those killed in war. When people go to war, do you think they wonder about how the bodies will be affected when dropping bombs on them?
Regardless of your religious views, I think you're coming across as callous and unrealistic. It's like you really can't understand why people respect the remains of the dead, as this has been a feature of humans from the begining.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That's not what the traditional Christian view is, where after you die you're taken to be judged immediately after death and then sent to Heaven or Hell (or possibly Purgatory in Catholicism), where your soul remains until you are reunited with your body at the Resurrection and you continue in Heaven or Hell, but with your body as well. The NT updates the afterlife teachings as Jesus taught about Heaven and Hell and that the soul continues to exist after death. The small minority of sects that teach otherwise, like JWs, basically ignore those verses or twist them out of shape to make it seem like they're saying something else. That's why they constantly quote the OT and ignore what Jesus says and the NT in general on the topic, which is a reversal of what Christians should be doing.
Even Jesus says there will be a day of Resurrection and Judgement.
And it doesn't matter what people. Lots of American Evangelicals have believed in a pre-Tribulation rapture and have believed in it for a long time now but it's just not there. Amd of course lots of study from bith secular and Christian sources have revealed people have been accepting translation errors and passages that were later added and not from the person who they are traditionally ascribed to.
Amd what of tradition? Some still view Jesus as god to be blasphemy because Jehovah is their god and only Jehovah is god despite the Nicene Council canonizing a divine trinity (and decided what books to include in order to shape "official" Christianity like the Sadducces and Pharisees he condemned for being uptight, melodramatic amd missing the forest for the trees.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because we tend to treat our Ancestors with the same respect in death that we would in life.

My skull would be uneasy being manipulated, held by others, or on display after my passing.

I want my skull to be mounted on the handlebars of a motorcycle and go ridin and raising a little hell. No better fun for a skull to have the wind blow through me eyesockets and noise through my ear holes!

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I'll just give my own (non-religious) thoughts rather than quote anyone else.

I don't think skulls have any consciousness, but surviving people that knew the person in life do.

I don't believe that any part of me will survive the death of my body, but even if I'm wrong about that I strongly doubt that how my body is treated would have any effect on whatever "afterlife" there might be.

So, I really don't care how those that survive me arrange any funeral or whatever. As someone said, it's about the living not the dead. Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

That said, I do want (and have told everyone that might have any say in it) to be cremated. Several reasons. It's a waste of a piece of land to bury a body in it. I dislike the American funeral practices, with dressing up a corpse to look as if it's alive, preserving it with chemicals and encasing it in an expensive coffin. Corpses should rot and return to the ecosystem from which they came, maybe to feed a few hungry worms. As that's impossible, cremation for me.

And that also said, I do think about where I would like my ashes to be scattered. I know I'd like them to be mixed with those of my favorite dog, which I have kept. I can't make a final decision unfortunately. And yes, that's quite contradictory to my earlier remarks, but it gives me some pleasure to think about it.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Regardless of your religious views, I think you're coming across as callous and unrealistic. It's like you really can't understand why people respect the remains of the dead, as this has been a feature of humans from the begining.
What do you mean from the beginning? You mean like people killing one another, dropping bombs on national enemies, etc.? I respect you, maybe you'll understand it better one day.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
What do you mean from the beginning? You mean like people killing one another, dropping bombs on national enemies, etc.? I respect you, maybe you'll understand it better one day.
Since the beginning of the human race. We've always had burial practices. I don't know what you're going on about with your unrelated tangent about war.

YoursTrue

I'll just give my own (non-religious) thoughts rather than quote anyone else.

I don't think skulls have any consciousness, but surviving people that knew the person in life do.

I don't believe that any part of me will survive the death of my body, but even if I'm wrong about that I strongly doubt that how my body is treated would have any effect on whatever "afterlife" there might be.

So, I really don't care how those that survive me arrange any funeral or whatever. As someone said, it's about the living not the dead. Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

That said, I do want (and have told everyone that might have any say in it) to be cremated. Several reasons. It's a waste of a piece of land to bury a body in it. I dislike the American funeral practices, with dressing up a corpse to look as if it's alive, preserving it with chemicals and encasing it in an expensive coffin. Corpses should rot and return to the ecosystem from which they came, maybe to feed a few hungry worms. As that's impossible, cremation for me.

And that also said, I do think about where I would like my ashes to be scattered. I know I'd like them to be mixed with those of my favorite dog, which I have kept. I can't make a final decision unfortunately. And yes, that's quite contradictory to my earlier remarks, but it gives me some pleasure to think about it.
What I notice from the article about the skulls is that it was mentioned they were vestiges of their own people. That sounds a bit cloistered. Most people do not like their fellow residents being bombed, killed, etc. and so there are services to commemorate the dead who have been killed for patriotism. Since I believe in God, I also believe He knows the hearts of each of us and can bring back the dead to life if He wills. Thank you for your comment, appreciated. Some have died at sea and their bodies have never been recovered. And, as you allude to, the memory of them is no more by the living.

YoursTrue

Are you pretending to be obtuse, like you don't know what they mean, or are you serious? They're obviously talking about being respectful to the memory of these people and burying them with dignity. If you can't understand that or you have a problem with it, there's something wrong with you.
I'm not saying they should stomp on the skulls or put them in the garbage bin. Although it has happened that people have been dismembered and infants thrown in the trash. But -- skulls do not think. I agree that burial practices are for the living, not for skulls which do not think. Do you think (imagine?) that skulls think?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
They aren't dead though.
Like I said, earlier: I don't quite distinguish between living and dead.

They exist, just not in the same manner we do. They are dead from our world. Not the Otherworlds.

Your dismissal is noted from your desire to compare what I believe as right or wrong, based on how you believe; by saying "they aren't dead though".

You're being dismissive.