• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Good

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I stole 2 packs of cigerrettes that holds 20 in them from my parents... First I was just like "oh well" later I felt bad for stealing them then now I realized: "Well, it's saving their lungs by 2 packs"

And as you may know I live by a philosophy of "Have fun doing what kills you fast instead of living years without a blast", so I don't generally care for my health and I'm getting something out of it.

So my parents are healthier (even though by just about 1%) and I'm getting a reward because of it. I will continue this, I love my parents and I get a reward for saving them...

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I stole 2 packs of cigerrettes that holds 20 in them from my parents... First I was just like "oh well" later I felt bad for stealing them then now I realized: "Well, it's saving their lungs by 2 packs"

And as you may know I live by a philosophy of "Have fun doing what kills you fast instead of living years without a blast", so I don't generally care for my health and I'm getting something out of it.

So my parents are healthier (even though by just about 1%) and I'm getting a reward because of it. I will continue this, I love my parents and I get a reward for saving them...
You are denying your parents the right to have fun doing what they want. You want to have the excuse that you are keeping to some strict sense of philosophy and/or that some good will come out of it. It is nonsense.
If you want to have fun doing what kills you then buy your own cigarettes.

Landerage

Araknor
Your initial will wasn't to save ur parents, but it was to get fun for yourself. So I dont think u will be rewarded for that. But as your having fun, you're saving ur parents from smoking but it's not in your will. A correct judgement would be based on will and not actions, a man who killed 100 person by accident probably shouldn't be judged because wasn't his will to be a criminal.

heretic

Heretic Knight
I think you hid what you wanted to do in the name of saving your parents .
this is not the right way to save your parents from smoking . you also hurt yourself.
is the fun of smoking worth to kill yourself for fun ?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I stole 2 packs of cigarettes that holds 20 in them from my parents... First I was just like "oh well" later I felt bad for stealing them then now I realized: "Well, it's saving their lungs by 2 packs"

Stealing them isn't right. Tell them you're concerned and you want them to live longer, but don't sneak around and steal their smokes.

The Sum of Awe

You are denying your parents the right to have fun doing what they want. You want to have the excuse that you are keeping to some strict sense of philosophy and/or that some good will come out of it. It is nonsense.
If you want to have fun doing what kills you then buy your own cigarettes.

I'm sure my parents would prefer to live, they are just ignorant of the affects... and why buy my own when there are packs already? Saving money and lives.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I'm sure my parents would prefer to live, they are just ignorant of the affects...
Why do you assume they are ignorant?
and why buy my own when there are packs already? Saving money and lives.
No it's called thieving and it is being selfish for no good reason at all.

Let's see. You're 15 so I guess you don't have a lot of money of your own. Suppose you did buy your own cigarettes with what little money you had and I came round and stole them off you? How would you feel? How would you feel if I said well actually I have the high moral ground because I am saving your life because you are too bloody ignorant to understand what you are doing to yourself?

The Sum of Awe

Why do you assume they are ignorant?

Making it sound worse by erasing the last three words changes my answer.

No it's called thieving and it is being selfish for no good reason at all.

It is selfish... but this selfishness IS saving them a bit of life. It isn't harming anyone important and has more positive side than a negative.

Let's see. You're 15 so I guess you don't have a lot of money of your own. Suppose you did buy your own cigarettes with what little money you had and I came round and stole them off you? How would you feel? How would you feel if I said well actually I have the high moral ground because I am saving your life because you are too bloody ignorant to understand what you are doing to yourself?

Well I would care but you don't see the point: 1. I'm their kid. 2. I'm doing it for the reason of protecting them (otherwise I would've just stole 1)

waitasec

Veteran Member

are you asking is it good in regards to your standard of living or are you comparing your standard to the standard others hold?

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Well I would care but you don't see the point: 1. I'm their kid. 2. I'm doing it for the reason of protecting them (otherwise I would've just stole 1)

First, you asked the question "Is this good?"

I answered it. If you only want people to agree then you are going to be disappointed.

Second I do see the point. The fact that they are your parents does not make what you did any more right. Second, if you really care about their health and the potential dangers of smoking then;-
a) You shouldn't be smoking yourself (what kind of an influence is that on them?)
b) You could try and argue the dangers of smoking with them and persuade them to stop. (And then respect their choices just as you would want others to respect your choices).

Instead you stole from them. And you made it worse by trying to convince yourself and others that there was a moral imperative based on your own personal philosophy.
It doesn't wash.
You stole. From your own parents. What a loser you must be.
You are not fooling anyone.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Oh this is ridiculous. You aren't saving them anything. Look, if your parents are smokers, they will just buy more cigs. You haven't prevented them from smoking a certain amount of cigarettes, you've just made them replace those with more, which costs more money, which is less to spend on other necessities or perhaps even things for you.

You haven't "saved" anything and trying to reason your bad behavior away by trying to make it out like you have done something good instead of something bad is only self-deluding. It puts you on a path to trying to reason all your bad behaviors away as justified or for a greater purpose. Not really a smart start to life. :rolleyes:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Oh this is ridiculous. You aren't saving them anything. Look, if your parents are smokers, they will just buy more cigs. You haven't prevented them from smoking a certain amount of cigarettes, you've just made them replace those with more, which costs more money, which is less to spend on other necessities or perhaps even things for you.

You haven't "saved" anything and trying to reason your bad behavior away by trying to make it out like you have done something good instead of something bad is only self-deluding. It puts you on a path to trying to reason all your bad behaviors away as justified or for a greater purpose. Not really a smart start to life. :rolleyes:

This. QFT

turk179

I smell something....

So what exactly are you getting out of it? They don't taste good. They don't calm you down. They're a stimulant. Do they make you look cool? Nope, they make you look like a social outcast because everyone knows what they do to you and they stink, which in turn makes you stink. Don't get me wrong. Not trying to talk you into quitting. I'm a smoker too. But I don't delude myself into thinking I'm nothing but an addict to nicotine. Just like you. Are you saving your parents? Nope. Just making them take an extra trip to the store like Draka said. Your'e a thief. If you want to make crap up to justify your addiction then knock yourself out. By the way, if your parents have been smoking a long time and are not alcoholics or crack heads then they know someone stole their smokes and when. If you're their only kid then you're not a smart thief.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I was asking if it was good according to your morals.

DoubleFacepalm.jpg