• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic Extremism: Do you agree?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Does America hold colonies? I know we used to be a colony of England, but was not aware we (US) are in turn holding colonies at this time. Or are we referring to the Virgin Islands as our colony?

Maybe we are doing something else to count as Colonialism, or maybe I am confused.

B.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Oh, and yes, I was quite amused by the similarities between current American Christian views and extremist views. But I think this is simply a case of two religious groups who are very passionate about their beliefs and have faith in the positive influences it has on culture. However, one group stands by principles of free-choice, the other takes extreme action. The two groups are QUITE different in this respect and an excellent example of how we are defined solely by the choices of action we make.
Perhaps you should change that to some of the members of one group stand by the principles of free choice...a great number of them also go hammer and tongs to legislate against the free choice of others. Some of that same group also feel it's fine to shoot doctors as they go about their business or blow up buildings because they're quite sure god doesn't like what said doctors do or what goes on in aforementioned buildings. I have absolutely no doubt that if some of this group were 100% positive they'd get a payoff from God for exploding themselves in the middle of a gay pride parade, they'd be there with bells on.

Ozzie

There are some defining characteristics of the current Islamo-Fascist jihad that some people might not disagree with:

1) The United States is imperialistic.
2) Freedom promotes immorality.
3) Religion promotes morality.
4) Western culture is anti-religion.
5) A perfect culture is ruled by religious law.
6) Violence is necessary to destroy its enemies.
7) Secularism is an enemy of religion.
8) There is only one God and Muslims are his people.
If your cute 8 point summary of Islamic extremism defines it, then I disagree with it.

kai

ragamuffin
There are some defining characteristics of the current Islamo-Fascist jihad that some people might not disagree with:

1) The United States is imperialistic. the US is the great satan
2) Freedom promotes immorality. freedom does come into the equasion
3) Religion promotes morality. not religion only islam
4) Western culture is anti-religion. all culture that is not islamic should be islamic
5) A perfect culture is ruled by religious law. yes sharia
6) Violence is necessary to destroy its enemies. of course
7) Secularism is an enemy of religion. it is an enemy of islam
of course

i think the list is kind of what people think are the defining characteritics of the current islamo-fascist jihadis, but its far more subtler than that and far more dangerous

tomspug

Absorbant
I have absolutely no doubt that if some of this group were 100% positive they'd get a payoff from God for exploding themselves in the middle of a gay pride parade, they'd be there with bells on.

Um... but they DON'T. That was my point. That's a pretty big difference of opinion, don't you think?

tomspug

Absorbant
It's as if we were to call Hitler and Mussolini "Christian fascists," implying that it is their religion, not resistance to transcendence, that is the root cause of the problem.

This is not a correct comparison. Al-Qaeda IS a religious organization. Their motivation IS religion. Hitler's motivations were not religious. Islamo-fascism is called such because it is a perversion of Islam. It is properly recognized as such.

Popeyesays

This is not a correct comparison. Al-Qaeda IS a religious organization. Their motivation IS religion. Hitler's motivations were not religious. Islamo-fascism is called such because it is a perversion of Islam. It is properly recognized as such.

Yet both Hitler and Mussolini were happy to co-opt the church to generate support. Without Church support, for instance, Anschluss would never have happened.

I would submit that bin Laden is co-opting Islam for support.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Does America hold colonies? I know we used to be a colony of England, but was not aware we (US) are in turn holding colonies at this time. Or are we referring to the Virgin Islands as our colony?

Maybe we are doing something else to count as Colonialism, or maybe I am confused.

B.

no, we don't hold colonies, but we were a colonial power holding the Phillipines, the Marianas, Hawaii, Liberia was effectively American territory til after the second world war.

Colonialism is a fact and it will continue to color our international relations for at least a century to come.

kai

ragamuffin
please when we talk of colonialism , can we not leave out the vast tract of the islamic empires.

its not an exclusively western idea , empires

tomspug

Absorbant
Yeah, but don't tell them that.

I didn't say they weren't being hypocritical. After all, their idea of a perfect world is a world ruled by sharia law (aka theocracy). I was simply stating THEIR beliefs.

Popeyesays

please when we talk of colonialism , can we not leave out the vast tract of the islamic empires.

its not an exclusively western idea , empires

The Ottoman Empire came to an end in 1905 with the Young Turk Rebellion of Kamal Ataturk. The new government tried to hold things together but the end of World War One, it all came crashing down. Saudi Arabia and the rest of the gulf states, Iraq, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, all across the north African Mediterranean coast right to the pillars of Hercules lands were splintered off and largely administered by the European victors of the war--France, Italy, Britain. Saudi Arabia and Iraq became independent. Egypt had wrenched themselves free of the Ottomans about 1880 and the Brits put down the anti-colonial government in 1882-83 the bombardment of Alexandria and the battle of Tel el Kebr being the deciding point.

All that was left of the Ottoman Empire was Turkey.

Regards,

Scott

kai

ragamuffin
The Ottoman Empire came to an end in 1905 with the Young Turk Rebellion of Kamal Ataturk. The new government tried to hold things together but the end of World War One, it all came crashing down. Saudi Arabia and the rest of the gulf states, Iraq, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, all across the north African Mediterranean coast right to the pillars of Hercules lands were splintered off and largely administered by the European victors of the war--France, Italy, Britain. Saudi Arabia and Iraq became independent. Egypt had wrenched themselves free of the Ottomans about 1880 and the Brits put down the anti-colonial government in 1882-83 the bombardment of Alexandria and the battle of Tel el Kebr being the deciding point.

All that was left of the Ottoman Empire was Turkey.

Regards,

thanks
Scott

still the western bias , Egypt the one of the oldest civilizations on earth is now an Arab nation the Egyptian language lost to Arabic , due to hundreds of years of occupation and eventual assimilation into Islam. but yes the British did interfere for a short time

kai

Popeyesays

still the western bias , Egypt the one of the oldest civilizations on earth is now an Arab nation the Egyptian language lost to Arabic , due to hundreds of years of occupation and eventual assimilation into Islam. but yes the British did interfere for a short time

kai

Blame the Macedonians.

Regards,
Scott

.lava

Veteran Member

1) The United States is imperialistic.
2) Freedom promotes immorality.
3) Religion promotes morality.
4) Western culture is anti-religion.
5) A perfect culture is ruled by religious law.
6) Violence is necessary to destroy its enemies.
7) Secularism is an enemy of religion.

hi,

1) i agree. enlighten me if i am wrong.
2) depends on how you define freedom. to me is to have human rights and to have free will. so i disagree.
3) religion of God does. but the aim of religion is to reach God. while you're going further in that process, you naturally become a better person. i'd say it depends.
4) every culture is a shelter for any kind of people. guess i'd say depends again. besides every nation has its own west and east sides.
5) there is not even one culture ruled by religious laws. tricky one!:cover:
6) [8:61] But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is the One that Heareth and Knoweth (all things).
7) religion is secular. i disagree.
8) yes agree, there is only one God, but we are all his people.those who want to reach God earn heaven whether they are Muslims or Christians or Jews or a man from a unknown tribe in a virgin area.

Popeyesays

ah those macedonian colonialist ,imperialstic , pigs

Alexander conquered Persia AND Egypt. When Alexander died, Ptolemy ruled Egypt--about 900 years before Muhammed was born. Greek was the official language of Egypt. The Rosetta Stone was translatable because the inscription was written in Old Hieroglyphics, New Hieroglyphics and GREEK.

Regards,
Scott

kai

ragamuffin
Alexander conquered Persia AND Egypt. When Alexander died, Ptolemy ruled Egypt--about 900 years before Muhammed was born. Greek was the official language of Egypt. The Rosetta Stone was translatable because the inscription was written in Old Hieroglyphics, New Hieroglyphics and GREEK.

Regards,
Scott
i am aware of that but surely greek would be the language of government, it wasnt until the arab invasion that arabic took over demotic and finally coptic egyptian as the common language

Popeyesays

i am aware of that but surely greek would be the language of government, it wasnt until the arab invasion that arabic took over demotic and finally coptic egyptian as the common language

Part of it was that Arabic was the language of government--far longer than Greek or Latin were.

Education (in fact the first university in the whole world) was in Cairo and the professors spoke in Arabic.

Coptic still exists in Ethiopia. Ethiopia was hard to conquer. Not that Egypt was conquered in any military manner.

Regards,
Scott