• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Begun

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Political distinctions, Storm. Insofar as religion is apolitical, we have no argument. The point being that atheists would not create a communist state. Why would we expect them to reject one irrational, imperialistic ideology (religion) only to embrace another (communism - or the more commonly cited Nazism)?

Jackytar
That makes no sense in context. I was telling idea that she was incorrect in saying that all atheists are Communists and anti-theists, she accepted that, and you jumped in saying Communism was just like religion. I pointed out the flaws in that, and now you say you're rebuttting a point I never made. What the hell?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Political distinctions, Storm. Insofar as religion is apolitical, we have no argument. The point being that atheists would not create a communist state. Why would we expect them to reject one irrational, imperialistic ideology (religion) only to embrace another (communism - or the more commonly cited Nazism)?

Jackytar
Also, atheists have created Communist states at least twice.

themadhair

To end the discussion about communism:

Would I reject something I think is, by some considerable distance, the best system of governance we have, namely rule through a democratic republic, for something I regard as having being demonstrated unworkable by history?

In the US, for example, the governance is by democratic republic and not religion. Why the disappearance of religion would change that is beyond me – and I demand an explanation from the claimant.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To end the discussion about communism:
I fail to see the relevance. :confused:

Would I reject something I think is, by some considerable distance, the best system of governance we have, namely rule through a democratic republic, for something I regard as having being demonstrated unworkable by history?
The claim that all atheists are Communists has already been dropped.

In the US, for example, the governance is by democratic republic and not religion. Why the disappearance of religion would change that is beyond me – and I demand an explanation from the claimant.
Who claimed this?

Last edited:

Jackytar

Ex-member
That makes no sense in context. I was telling idea that she was incorrect in saying that all atheists are Communists and anti-theists, she accepted that, and you jumped in saying Communism was just like religion. I pointed out the flaws in that, and now you say you're rebuttting a point I never made. What the hell?

I'm saying that politically religion has imperialist goals, just like communism. Communism without imperialism is not communism. If a religion or an individual thereof does not have any political goals then they are apolitical. Who's attacking the straw man here?

And that "tiny minority" you speak of has been instrumental in electing several presidents starting with Ronald Reagan. This happens right here in our supposed open society. Do you think an atheist could be elected president?

Jackytar

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm saying that politically religion has imperialist goals, just like communism.
But it doesn't. If you don't mean religion as a whole, don't say it. If you do, don't be surprised to be corrected.

And that "tiny minority" you speak of has been instrumental in electing several presidents starting with Ronald Reagan. This happens right here in our supposed open society. Do you think an atheist could be elected president?
I stated quite clearly that I was speaking of numbers of religions, not numbers of adherents. Yes, the imperialist religions have more members, I acknowledged that, too. "Religion" is a great deal more diverse than "Christianity."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What exactly is wrong with spreading scientific knowledge and secular values, encouraging critical thinking and fighting bigotry, which is what this site claims to do?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I will say, though, that if they're trying to eradicate religion, that's not a secular value. Secularism is religiously neutral.