• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

January 6 2020: why did four cops commit suicide after the events?

Heyo

Veteran Member

Four officers, from various police departments, who responded to the attack committed suicide in the days and months that followed.[483] Capitol Police officer Howard Charles Liebengood died by suicide three days after the attack.[484] D.C. Metropolitan Police officer Jeffrey Smith, who was injured in the attack, died by suicide from a gunshot wound to the head at George Washington Memorial Parkway on January 15, after a misdiagnosed concussion;[485] his death was found to be in line of duty.[486] In July, two more officers who responded to the attack died by suicide: Metropolitan Police officer Kyle Hendrik DeFreytag was found on July 10, and Metropolitan Police officer Gunther Paul Hashida was found on July 29.[487]

So tell me....why do you think four cops commit suicide, while performing their duties?
:)
Not one, not two. Four.
Four unrelated deaths.
I searched the news to find if there were explanations, like suicide notes. I didn't find any, but that may be because my google-fu is bad, or because they haven't been published - if any exist.
At least one policeman was in therapy, and the therapist said he was "deeply troubled" by the events.
As @rocala already pointed out, extreme cognitive dissonance can lead to suicidal ideation. I find that to be the best explanation given the evidence.
The policemen thought that they were the "good guys". They also thought that the rioters were "good guys". The fact they clashed in a very stressful situation, where the policemen had to fear for their lives, was irreconcilable.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I searched the news to find if there were explanations, like suicide notes. I didn't find any, but that may be because my google-fu is bad, or because they haven't been published - if any exist.
At least one policeman was in therapy, and the therapist said he was "deeply troubled" by the events.
As @rocala already pointed out, extreme cognitive dissonance can lead to suicidal ideation. I find that to be the best explanation given the evidence.
The policemen thought that they were the "good guys". They also thought that the rioters were "good guys". The fact they clashed in a very stressful situation, where the policemen had to fear for their lives, was irreconcilable.
The French Revolution took place because the national army sided with the people and not with the aristocracy.
They were not interested in their thirty pieces of silver.
Loyalty to the Nation first.

rocala

As previously stated, I am not fully conversant with the details of this matter. I am puzzled by your comment here. Would you please elaborate? I do not understand how loyalty to the nation, or anything else, has been compromised.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The French Revolution took place because the national army sided with the people and not with the aristocracy.
Yep, and a short time later heads were rolling.
They were not interested in their thirty pieces of silver.
Who is "the nation"? That was a question the police officers had to answer to themselves. A hard question and some chocked on it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As previously stated, I am not fully conversant with the details of this matter. I am puzzled by your comment here. Would you please elaborate? I do not understand how loyalty to the nation, or anything else, has been compromised.
I will not care if I am not believed.
But I deeply believe that those outside the Capitol were protesting peacefully.
A group assaulted the building but I am convinced it dealt with an inside job meant to discredit the peaceful protest,

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yep, and a short time later heads were rolling.

Who is "the nation"? That was a question the police officers had to answer to themselves. A hard question and some chocked on it.
Each of us has their own deities to worship.
Some politicians worship the ECB, some worship the People. Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

rocala

A group assaulted the building but I am convinced it dealt with an inside job meant to discredit the peaceful protest,
Thank you for your quick response.
I do not have an opinion on this "inside job" but if your claim is correct I would offer an idea that if this is the case it is unlikely that the police involved would know. Too many people from one agency is very poor info security.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I will not care if I am not believed.
Do you believe the Charlottesville incident was also some kind of "inside ploy" to mislead? You see, I personally know a few people who follow these "calls to action." Fortunately they're too old to physically "follow." But I can tell you, some of the crapola they are fed in their communications is unbelievable. To the degree I don't hear as much since Jan 6th. But prior to Jan 6th, I was told, and they truly believed, that China had ships sitting just outside US borders all along the Atlantic and the Gulf ready to assist in the completion of "the big day" to come. That was enough embarrassment that politics no longer are discussed, but the car stickers and t-shirts are still quite prevalent.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Four officers, from various police departments, who responded to the attack committed suicide in the days and months that followed.[483] Capitol Police officer Howard Charles Liebengood died by suicide three days after the attack.[484] D.C. Metropolitan Police officer Jeffrey Smith, who was injured in the attack, died by suicide from a gunshot wound to the head at George Washington Memorial Parkway on January 15, after a misdiagnosed concussion;[485] his death was found to be in line of duty.[486] In July, two more officers who responded to the attack died by suicide: Metropolitan Police officer Kyle Hendrik DeFreytag was found on July 10, and Metropolitan Police officer Gunther Paul Hashida was found on July 29.[487]

So tell me....why do you think four cops commit suicide, while performing their duties?
Not one, not two. Four.
Four unrelated deaths.
So, you have never heard the phrase "Straw that broke the camels back"?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So, you have never heard the phrase "Straw that broke the camels back"?
No...but I have read The Banality of Evil by Hannah Arendt, where it's clearly showed how Nazis would suppress their human side in order to be able to obey unjust orders.

PS. Our equivalent idiom is "the drop of water that makes the vase overflow". ;)