• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus And The Law

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Acts 11:26 - This text says that Antioch was the place where Christians were called Christians for the first time. Why? Because Paul had been invited by Barnabas to help him with the work in the Nazarene synagogue. Why Nazarene? Because the synagogue of Antioch was getting crowded with the expulsion of the Jews in Rome by Emperor Claudius. (Acts 18:2) And James chairman of the Nazarene headquarters in Jerusalem had assigned Barnabas to head the Cause in Antioch. (Acts 11:22-26) After only a year that Paul was there with Barnabas the synagogue of the Nazarenes in Antioch had become a Christian church. Therefore, Paul had overturned that synagogue of the Nazarenes into a Christian church.
You're just making things up. I say that because none of the really is attested to in the NT. Thus, you are making things up. Paul is never called a Christian. Paul never uses the term Christian. Paul is never said to have a Christian church. Paul is actually called a Nazarene. If you are going to debate the NT, you might want to read it.
Galatians 1:6; 4:21 - The Nazarene synagogue of Galatia had also been victim of Paul, as had the one of Ephesus and many others. Then, some of the Nazarenes were sent from Judea to try to salvage the synagogue by persuading the members to return to the real gospel of Jesus, preached by the Nazarenes. Then, Paul got really upset to see that many of them were indeed returning and said that he was wondering that they were so soon leaving the grace of his Christ to another gospel just to be under the Law, whose gospel, even if an angel had brought it down from Heaven he would curse it. (Gal. 1:6-10; 4:21)
A Nazarene synagogue is never mentioned in the text. Not a single Nazarene is mentioned in the text. The term Nazarene is never found in the writings of Paul.

In fact, the only time that the term Nazarene is used in the NT, Paul is said to be part of that them. Thus, you really have no point. Why would Paul steal people away from a Nazarene church if he was in fact a Nazarene?
And so forth, this was happening to all the nazarene synagogues throughout Asia Minor and North Africa. He would keep away from the Jewish synagogues belonging to the mainstream Judaism because IMO, he was afraid to be killed. That's the last time I repeat this explanation to you. Now, I am through.

Ben
Prove it. You can't, because the NT doesn't talk about the Nazarenes, except for one, when Paul is called one. That is where you fail. You simply haven't read the NT. Instead, you promote propaganda that is founded in your fairy tails.

Ben Masada

You're just making things up. I say that because none of the really is attested to in the NT. Thus, you are making things up. Paul is never called a Christian. Paul never uses the term Christian. Paul is never said to have a Christian church. Paul is actually called a Nazarene. If you are going to debate the NT, you might want to read it.
A Nazarene synagogue is never mentioned in the text. Not a single Nazarene is mentioned in the text. The term Nazarene is never found in the writings of Paul.

In fact, the only time that the term Nazarene is used in the NT, Paul is said to be part of that them. Thus, you really have no point. Why would Paul steal people away from a Nazarene church if he was in fact a Nazarene?
Prove it. You can't, because the NT doesn't talk about the Nazarenes, except for one, when Paul is called one. That is where you fail. You simply haven't read the NT. Instead, you promote propaganda that is founded in your fairy tails.

I cannot repeat the same proofs in every post. You are wasting my time.
Ben

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I cannot repeat the same proofs in every post. You are wasting my time.
Ben
You don't have any proofs though. At least none that really stand. I asked some very simple questions, and you are not able to actually provide an answer, as the text does not support what you are saying.

Ben Masada

If Paul was not called a Christian, it is because he didn't believe that Jess was Christ. That's the definition of a Christian.
Ben

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Abraham did not have the Law or the paraphernalias that goes with that, yet his faith was counted as righteousness, therefore the promise that God made to him was not based on law but on the righteouseness of faith. Jesus is the seed of Abraham who has received the promise of the Holy Spirit, that is why Christians worship Him, He has become one with God.
On the other hand Jews seek the things of this world and as you say they are very good at it, but in the end they will be left with nothing.
I dont know why a modern man would presume to have any constructive information to share with us on an ancient man of Akkad. when even Jewish archaeologists don't even discuss his existence. as for worshiping a man who has united with his god, that is akin to worshiping Mick Jagger.

I am a Jewish man. and I do seek the things of this world. this is all you get. you should live your life to its fullest. you should admire the bold and the beautiful. the curve of a woman's thigh, and the maidens standing at the gates of Ishtar.
I dont know about your god. maybe he believes in a puritanical life of abstinence, but my god is a middle eastern god. he believes in whirlwinds and the passions of men.
I have no doubt that when my life comes to an end, my bones will return to the desert sands where they have come from. for some reason I have no quarrel with my god for this. I've lived to my part of the bargain, I've lived a full life of passions, fighting, travel to east and west, of studying and tearing his scriptures to shreds giving him a good discussion and a fight at every twist and turn. just as my forefathers did before me.
he didnt get any of that remove this cup from me.
my god spares me no blows, all he asks is, why do you complain?

Last edited:

Ben Masada

To debate about your NT, your have got to know a little better about your NT.

Ben

A

angellous_evangellous

Ben

Obviously you know the NT better than anyone here.

Or anyone else for that matter.

Speak, O Magnificent One! [that's how my wife greets me]

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Ben
Maybe you can define what my NT is? Because by what you're saying, simply isn't found in the NT that I use. You speak so much about the Nazarene sect, yet, they are only mentioned once, and Paul is called the ringleader there of. Christians are just mentioned twice, and that is after Paul is dead. There isn't a mention of a Christian church, yet according to your NT, they were sprouting all over the place.

The stuff you say, for the most part, aren't in the NT. So what are you reading?

free spirit

I dont know why a modern man would presume to have any constructive information to share with us on an ancient man of Akkad. when even Jewish archaeologists don't even discuss his existence. as for worshiping a man who has united with his god, that is akin to worshiping Mick Jagger.
I cannot find any new words, obviously my spirit knows that they will not be received.

I am a Jewish man. and I do seek the things of this world. this is all you get. you should live your life to its fullest. you should admire the bold and the beautiful. the curve of a woman's thigh, and the maidens standing at the gates of Ishtar.
I did that to for the first 36 years of my life, but then He asked me to repent, repent of my fleshly covets, so as to live a life in the spirit.

I dont know about your god. maybe he believes in a puritanical life of abstinence, but my god is a middle eastern god. he believes in whirlwinds and the passions of men.
I have no doubt that when my life comes to an end, my bones will return to the desert sands where they have come from. for some reason I have no quarrel with my god for this. I've lived to my part of the bargain, I've lived a full life of passions, fighting, travel to east and west, of studying and tearing his scriptures to shreds giving him a good discussion and a fight at every twist and turn. just as my forefathers did before me.
he didnt get any of that remove this cup from me.
my god spares me no blows, all he asks is, why do you complain?
If that is all you expect, that is all you get. My God require me to treasure faith, hope and love. In other words to trust what He did for me, to hope that I will measure-up for His high colling and to love my neighborer as I love myself.
Yes it is elementary but it is so hard to do, temptation is everywhere.

free spirit

The Mystery of the Empty Tomb

All the four gospel writers are unanimous on it that the tomb was empty. But how it got empty is the answer we have got to find for the question.

Starting with Matthew, at the end of that Sabbath, which in Israel is at the sunset, Mary Magdalene with another Mary, went to see the tomb. Never mind that the tombstone was sealed and the guards were there to prevent the approach of any suspect. They either did not know it or the conspiracy to provide an eyewitness had backfired.

As the women arrived there, there was nothing of the sort. However, the writer of Matthew reports an earthquake, as an angel came down to move the tombstone, and sat on it. Who was inside the tomb? Nobody. The tomb was empty. Then, the angel addressed the women and said, "I know you are looking for Jesus. As you can see, he is not here." The tomb was empty. Even the angel could not be used as an eyewitness, because when he removed the tombstone, the tomb was empty already. (Mat. 28:1-6)

Let us ask Mark about this. He says almost the same, except for the earthquake. When that Sabbath was over, the women brought perfumed oils to anoint Jesus' body. They were worried only on how to remove the tombstone, which was huge. Never mind that it was sealed and kept by guards, because when they got there, they saw nothing of the sort. So much so that the stone was already removed and the tomb was empty, except for a youngman who was there, telling them that Jesus was not there. That he had been raised. He was right, because by the will of God one rises, but by the will of man one is raised. It means that someone had indeed removed Jesus from there. (Mark 16:1-6)

How about Luke? What did he have to say? That the tombstone was removed, the tomb was empty, but there were two guys asking why the women were looking for the living among the dead. And that Jesus had been raised. Mind you, not risen but raised. The women went to tell the disciples, and they refused to believe their "nonsense and idle tale," as those were their very words. Probably, Jesus had never mentioned such a thing about himself. (Luke 24:1-11)

Last but not least, we have John, who brought to the tomb only Mary Magdalene. The tombstone was removed as usual, and the tomb was indeed empty. All that Mary could think of, was that Jesus had been taken from the tomb. They all probably had never heard about resurrection. Mary remained at the tomb crying her eyes out. Then, to a guy there, whom she thought was the Gardener, she asked to let her know where he had put Jesus' body, so that she could take it away with her, if he had been the one who had removed Jesus from there. It means that Mary had come to the tomb with the intention to remove Jesus from there. Bad luck for her, because obviously Joseph of Arimathea had done the removal during the first hours of Friday night. (John 20:1-15)

As we all can see, the mystery is not in the empty tomb but in the how the tomb got empty. Quite easy to solve if we try to understand the difference between rising and being raised, and the inconsistency among the four gospel writers on reporting the "idle tale" of the resurrection. (Luke 24:11)

Ben

Yes Ben we both need to understand that there are two stories and we both hope to have believed the true one.
You believe Matthew 28:11-15 in which we read: "Now while they were on their way, behold some of the guard came into the city and reported to the chief priests all that had happened. and when they had assembled with the elders and counseled together, they gave a large sum of money to the soldiers, and said, "You are to say, his disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep, and if this should come to the governor's ears, we will win him over and keep you out of trouble." And they took the money and did as they had been instructed; and this story was widely spread among the Jews, and is to this day."

Last edited: