• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus as Titus

AdamEve

When I first read this I was blown away.
So I wonder how many people are aware of this and what possible other explanation can be given.

I am talking about how Jesus expeling demons from the man at the city of Gadara can be interpreted as alegory of roman emperor Titus attacking the same city.

NEW TESTAMENT
Jesus came to the city of Gadara.
There he met a man possesed by deamons.
Jesus expeled deamon.
Deamons went into heard of swine.
Swine ran wiledlely and drowned in the river.

JEWIS WAR
Roman general Titus came to the city of Gadara.
There he was faced by John, leader of rebelious Jews holding the city.
Titus expelled rebbels from the city and also from the John since they left him.
The went into nearby village where they recrouted some local viligares.
When Romans came to the village they paniced and tried to escape over the river where they have drowned.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
When I first read this I was blown away.
So I wonder how many people are aware of this and what possible other explanation can be given.

I am talking about how Jesus expeling demons from the man at the city of Gadara can be interpreted as alegory of roman emperor Titus attacking the same city.

NEW TESTAMENT
Jesus came to the city of Gadara.
There he met a man possesed by deamons.
Jesus expeled deamon.
Deamons went into heard of swine.
Swine ran wiledlely and drowned in the river.

JEWIS WAR
Roman general Titus came to the city of Gadara.
There he was faced by John, leader of rebelious Jews holding the city.
Titus expelled rebbels from the city and also from the John since they left him.
The went into nearby village where they recrouted some local viligares.
When Romans came to the village they paniced and tried to escape over the river where they have drowned.
Maybe if you actually took the verses from the New Testament, and then the passages from Josephus's work, instead of butchering both, you would see that the similarities are not that distinct.

But yeah, if both stories are butchered, they do seem similar. Primarily because the editor of those passages did so on purpose.

AdamEve

Maybe if you actually took the verses from the New Testament, and then the passages from Josephus's work, instead of butchering both, you would see that the similarities are not that distinct.

But yeah, if both stories are butchered, they do seem similar. Primarily because the editor of those passages did so on purpose.

Editor of what passages did what on purpose?

That wasn't butchering but just breakdown of both stories.

NT*Mark 5:1-20
1 They came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the*Gadarenes.[a] 2And when Jesus had stepped out of the boat, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit. 3 He lived among the tombs. And no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain, 4for he had often been bound with shackles and chains, but he wrenched the chains apart, and he broke the shackles in pieces. No one had the strength to subdue him. 5Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was always crying out and cutting himself with stones. 6And when he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him. 7And crying out with a loud voice, he said, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me." 8For he was saying to him, "Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!" 9And Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He replied, "My name is Legion, for we are many." 10And he begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country. 11Now a great herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside, 12and they begged him, saying, "Send us to the pigs; let us enter them." 13So he gave them permission. And the unclean spirits came out, and entered the pigs, and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the sea and were drowned in the sea.

JEWS WAR (This is butchering)
Accordingly, he (Vespasian) marched against Gadara.
They (rebbels) despaired of keeping possession of the city, as being inferior in number to their enemies who were within the city, and seeing the Romans very near to the city; so they resolved to fly.
And now Vespasian sent Placidus against those that had fled from Gadara, with five hundred horsemen, and three thousand footmen.
But as soon as these fugitives saw the horsemen that pursued them just upon their backs, and before they came to a close fight, they ran together to a certain village, which was called Bethennabris, where finding a great multitude of young men, and arming them, partly by their own consent, partly by force, they rashly and suddenly assaulted Placidus and the troops that were with him.
So the horsemen cut off the flight of the fugitives.
So they (rebbels) got in great numbers together, and fled to Jericho, for they knew no other place that could afford them any hope of escaping.
But Placidus, followed them as far as Jordan.
Fifteen thousand of them (rebbels) were slain, while the number of those that were unwillingly forced to leap into Jordan was prodigious.
There were besides two thousand and two hundred taken prisoners

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Editor of what passages did what on purpose?
The editor of that passages you listed purposely butchered them, so that they appeared to be similar, when they really are not.
That wasn't butchering but just breakdown of both stories.
It was butchering. And not even a very nice attempt at doing so. More so, Mark predated Josephus's work. So your argument goes down the tube anyway. Shows that it is nothing more than fantasy based around a small amount of coincidence.

NT*Mark 5:1-20
1 They came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the*Gadarenes.[/quote] Doesn't say the city of Gadara. It is actually the country of the Gerasenes, and the city would have been Gerasa. So no, Mark really isn't saying what Josephus did.
[a] 2And when Jesus had stepped out of the boat, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit. 3 He lived among the tombs. And no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain, 4for he had often been bound with shackles and chains, but he wrenched the chains apart, and he broke the shackles in pieces. No one had the strength to subdue him. 5Night and day among the tombs and on the mountains he was always crying out and cutting himself with stones. 6And when he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him. 7And crying out with a loud voice, he said, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me."
So Jesus is met by a man possessed by demons. Pretty different from a rebel leader. This particular individual is basically pushed to the outskirts of town. In the Josephus passage (where I don't see the name of John appearing), the rebels see the Romans coming and flee the city. And then they flee to another city, recruit some young men, and then flee to Jericho.

I really don't see how this is similar at all.
8For he was saying to him, "Come out of the man, you unclean spirit!" 9And Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He replied, "My name is Legion, for we are many." 10And he begged him earnestly not to send them out of the country.
Still not very similar at all. Here Jesus is doing something. He is casting out the demons. It is Jesus who is doing the action here. In the account of Josephus, the rebels flee on their own accord. They are not expelled. They flee because they know they would loose the fight. They flee to another town, and then again, flee on their own will. There is no expelling here.
11Now a great herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside, 12and they begged him, saying, "Send us to the pigs; let us enter them." 13So he gave them permission.
I really don't see how this really has anything to do with the story of Josephus. First, these spirits are being sent into swine. They are being forced to enter into swine.

The rebels in the passage from Josephus freely go to another city and recruit other men to help in their fight. Really, nothing at all very similar.
And the unclean spirits came out, and entered the pigs, and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the sea and were drowned in the sea.
They were drowned in the sea, not the river as the OP states. And they do this out of free will. They purposely flee into the sea and drown the pigs.

In the Josephus passage, they are running into the Jordan River. They are trying to escape, and drowning most likely wasn't their intention. That was an accident. And not even the entire group runs into the river. Some are slain by the Romans and a good deal are taken captive. How this has any similarity with the Markan story is beyond me, besides there is a body of water in both.

So yes, the passages were butchered for the express purpose of creating fantasy.

A

angellous_evangellous

I am Titus. But I'm not Jesus.

Pleased to clear that up.

AdamEve

The editor of that passages you listed purposely butchered them, so that they appeared to be similar, when they really are not.*
Again I don't understand who do you think butchered what?
You mean while NT and Jewish War were translated perhaps?

*More so, Mark predated Josephus's work. *So your argument goes down the tube anyway. *Shows that it is nothing more than fantasy based around a small amount of coincidence.*
NT was written after Jewis war which is why Jesus was able to predict stuff like Jerusalem being destroyed and this is why it was possible to model life of Jesus to that of Titus as shown in the example we are discussing.

They came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the*Gadarenes. Doesn't say the city of Gadara. *
The word "country" is the Greek word "chora" which can also mean region or territory.

It is actually the country of the Gerasenes, and the city would have been Gerasa. *
Mark's gospel uses the word "Gadarenes" (KJV) to describe this place and people. However, in the NIV, the word "Gerasenes" is used!

Here Jesus is doing something. *He is casting out the demons. *It is Jesus who is doing the action here. *In the account of Josephus, the rebels flee on their own accord. *They are not expelled. *They flee because they know they would loose the fight. *They flee to another town, and then again, flee on their own will. *There is no expelling here. *
Rebbels were betrayed by rich peopel of Gadara who opened the doors to Romans. Sorry for forgeting to use that lines. Once the Romans were inside the city rebbels had to flee killing the traiter in the progress. Romans chased them to the village so rebbels had to run some more, not because they wanted but because to try to stay alive.

*They were drowned in the sea, not the river as the OP states. *
Sea of galille is a lake and Jordan runs from that lake so the difference if minimal.

And they do this out of free will. *They purposely flee into the sea and drown the pigs. *

In the Josephus passage, they are running into the Jordan River. *They are trying to escape, and drowning most likely wasn't their intention. *That was an accident. *And not even the entire group runs into the river. *Some are slain by the Romans and a good deal are taken captive. *
You are correct. In NT story swines are drowned but we don't get the answer what happened to demons. Swines/villigares are drowned while 2000 captives are taken prisoners.

Both stories take place at then same location.
In both stories events have the same time line.
For instance Jesus could expelled deamons from swine and then they could enter the man but they dont.
Swine could run into desert and die of thurst or they could simple run away but they don't.
Once expelled from the man deamons could die or simple live but they dont.
That means that all these decisions are either made comitely by chance or NT stories could be interpreted as alegory for Jewish War storie.
This becomes even more probable as we continue to compare NT and JEWISH War only to found other stories in NT which can be interpreted as symbolic interpretation of events that occur during Jewish War.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Again I don't understand who do you think butchered what?
You mean while NT and Jewish War were translated perhaps?
No, you butchered them by chopping up the verses until they didn't resemble what they were in the first place.
NT was written after Jewis war which is why Jesus was able to predict stuff like Jerusalem being destroyed and this is why it was possible to model life of Jesus to that of Titus as shown in the example we are discussing.
The Jewish War, which was written by Josephus, is from around 75 C.E. It was written after the first Jewish War. The Gospel of Mark was written around 70 C.E., which is before Josephus had written his work.
The word "country" is the Greek word "chora" which can also mean region or territory.
But it doesn't mean city does it? More so, the place in which Mark is talking about is not the same place that Josephus is talking about. They are two different cities.
Mark's gospel uses the word "Gadarenes" (KJV) to describe this place and people. However, in the NIV, the word "Gerasenes" is used!
They are two different places. I already explained that. The KJV is simply an outdated text. And the text that I am using is the NRSV.

If we compare the story in Matthew, he does use the word Gadarenes, and is referring to a separate city. However, Mark uses the word Gerasenes, and is referring to Gerasa.
Rebbels were betrayed by rich peopel of Gadara who opened the doors to Romans. Sorry for forgeting to use that lines. Once the Romans were inside the city rebbels had to flee killing the traiter in the progress. Romans chased them to the village so rebbels had to run some more, not because they wanted but because to try to stay alive.
They could have stayed and fight. They could have hid. The point is, the story is different from the one in Mark. In Mark, the demons don't really have a choice. Jesus forces them out against their will. In Josephus, the rebells choose to flee. They made the choice.
Sea of galille is a lake and Jordan runs from that lake so the difference if minimal.
Actually it is quite significant. The Mississippi runs into the Gulf of Mexico, and then into the ocean. But I can't call the Mississippi the Gulf of Mexico. They are two separate things. So yes, the difference is telling.
You are correct. In NT story swines are drowned but we don't get the answer what happened to demons. Swines/villigares are drowned while 2000 captives are taken prisoners.
Don't you see the difference here?
Both stories take place at then same location.
No they don't. They happen in two different cities (actually, the Josephus passage actually includes three separate cities). They have a body of water, but different ones in which is used. They are two distinctly different areas.
In both stories events have the same time line.
No. The event in Mark is more close in time. It all happens in one act. Jesus comes, commands the demons out, the pigs drown themselves. In Josephus, you have a lot more time passing. First the rebels flee to another city. They try to build a small army there, and then flee again. That is quite more than what happens in Mark.
For instance Jesus could expelled deamons from swine and then they could enter the man but they dont.
No. Jesus expelled the demons from the man into the swine. It would have been foolish to reverse the process.
Swine could run into desert and die of thurst or they could simple run away but they don't.
Yeah, they purposely drown themselves. They weren't trying to free themselves. They were purposely and intentionally killing themselves. With Josephus, only a part of the rebels take off across the river, and while trying to get to safety on the other side of the river, drown. They don't purposely drown, it is an accident. And again, only a portion of them do that. Another portion is killed, and another still taken into captivity. Very different situations.
[quote}
Once expelled from the man deamons could die or simple live but they dont.[/quote] No, they had to do what Jesus told them to do. Jesus forced them into the swine. It wasn't a choice.
That means that all these decisions are either made comitely by chance or NT stories could be interpreted as alegory for Jewish War storie.
Or you are butchering the story. Clearly, as I have shown, your interpretation is highly flawed, and simply is not looking at the stories in question. You are basically just making up fantasy.
This becomes even more probable as we continue to compare NT and JEWISH War only to found other stories in NT which can be interpreted as symbolic interpretation of events that occur during Jewish War.
I guess if you make them extremely vague, leave out key points, change both stories to fit your purpose, and then just create fantasy along side that, you are correct. However, if one reads them both critically, one can clearly see that they are describing two very different sets of situations.

AdamEve

The Gospel of Mark was written around 70 C.E., which is before Josephus had written his work.
There is a consensus that Mark probably composed his work in or about the year 70 CE, after the failure of the First Jewish Revolt and the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple at the hands of the Romans. If so this would mean that it was also written after Titus took Gadara since that happened before Titus attacked Jerusalem. If so it means that Titus conquering Gadara could have been taken as template for Jesus expeling deamons in Gospel of Mark.

But it doesn't mean city does it? More so, the place in which Mark is talking about is not the same place that Josephus is talking about. They are two different cities. They are two different places. I already explained that. The KJV is simply an outdated text. And the text that I am using is the NRSV.
Mark is talking about the country of the Gerasenes, meaning region around Gerasa, and Gadara is in the region of Gerasa. This means that both stories take place at the same region.

They could have stayed and fight. They could have hid. The point is, the story is different from the one in Mark. In Mark, the demons don't really have a choice. Jesus forces them out against their will. In Josephus, the rebells choose to flee. They made the choice.
Just like Jesus forced daemons Romans forced rebels out of the city. The only other choice was to stay and die, which is not much of a choice, so no they didn't have a choice.

Actually it is quite significant. The Mississippi runs into the Gulf of Mexico, and then into the ocean. But I can't call the Mississippi the Gulf of Mexico. They are two separate things. So yes, the difference is telling.
Don't you see the difference here?
Sea of galilea can be considered as section of Jordan River since Jordan river acctually runs through Sea of Galiela which is acctually a lake. Again it is the same region with slightly different reference.

No they don't. They happen in two different cities (actually, the Josephus passage actually includes three separate cities). They have a body of water, but different ones in which is used. They are two distinctly different areas.
This is the same body of water and the same general region.

No. The event in Mark is more close in time. It all happens in one act. Jesus comes, commands the demons out, the pigs drown themselves. In Josephus, you have a lot more time passing. First the rebels flee to another city. They try to build a small army there, and then flee again. That is quite more than what happens in Mark.
Time frame might be different by sequence of events is completely the same.

No. Jesus expelled the demons from the man into the swine. It would have been foolish to reverse the process.
No it wouldn't be any more foolish then Jesus turning water into wine, or walking on the water or predicting future. If story is completely uncorrelated to the Titus campaign story could have gone in many different directions at any given moment. But is doesn't. It strictly follows events that actually happened.

Yeah, they purposely drown themselves. They weren't trying to free themselves. They were purposely and intentionally killing themselves.
No they weren't. They were possessed and this means that daemons had control over them. This is what possessed means that someone else controls your actions. Those daemons were controlling pigs into the sea absolutely the same way as Romans were herding/controlling Jews into the river. Jews didn't have any other choice but to run into the river much like pigs possessed by daemon unless you consider choosing to die a a choice.

With Josephus, only a part of the rebels take off across the river, and while trying to get to safety on the other side of the river, drown. They don't purposely drown, it is an accident. And again, only a portion of them do that. Another portion is killed, and another still taken into captivity. Very different situations.

Not very different situation but very similar situation. So story of Gadara from Mark focuses on some elements that happened in real life and it doesn't discuss what happened with every single Jew while running from Romans. This is quite acceptable for an allegory because the point is not to be precise or detailed.

Once expelled from the man deamons could die or simple live but they dont.

No, they had to do what Jesus told them to do. Jesus forced them into the swine. It wasn't a choice.
Agree. What I meant was that Jesus could kill them or force them to simple leave, or teleport them to the moon, or turn them to wine but he doesn't. He orders them to do what is needed to follow the story line of Titus.

Or you are butchering the story. Clearly, as I have shown, your interpretation is highly flawed, and simply is not looking at the stories in question. You are basically just making up fantasy.
I guess if you make them extremely vague, leave out key points, change both stories to fit your purpose, and then just create fantasy along side that, you are correct. However, if one reads them both critically, one can clearly see that they are describing two very different sets of situations.
Key points are basis on which we can conclude that story of Jesus is just alegory of story of Titus.

Poisonshady313

I'm sure I mentioned this sort of thing at some point. This stuff is all found in Joseph Atwill's Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus.