• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Christ is alive or not?

jasem

Do all Christians deny existence and being alive of Jesus Christ or there are some groups of Christians that believe in Jesus Christ being alive and not crucified?:D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I've never read about, or heard about, any such Christian belief that Jesus is still around. One of the main tenements of Christianity is that Jesus ascended into heaven after He was crucified.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
All Christians I have ever heard of believe Jesus died on the cross, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. This is true of both trinitarian and unitarian beliefs.
The substitution belief is only believed by Muslims.

There might be different beliefs as to the form Jesus takes in heaven. But as he did not die for a second time before he ascended, It would seem he could still be in the form of man, though I personally doubt it, as I do not believe heaven to be physical.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So, it's possible that Jesus came back to earth, I guess, it's just that there are no stories about Him being here after the ascension. Seems kind of like a 'Dracula' concept, anyway.

jasem

Have you ever heard about the Gospel of Barnabas in that book some of the current Christians believes have been questioned like:

I: Jesus is not the Son of God.
II: Jesus hadn't been crucified and he was replaced by Yehoda.
III: He will return to make peace in earth.
III: He has announced arrival of the next Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Tbh I don't really research the more obscure Christian texts, and of course there are major differences between Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, etc. I think the big dividing line between Christians is mostly about the trinity concept... I'd be disinclined to call someone who doesn't believe in the divinity (deity) of Jesus a "Christian".

Last edited by a moderator:

Crandle

Essential Christian doctrine usually contains:

Jesus died (that is required, for forgiveness)
Jesus resurrected (proof, triumph, validation)
Jesus ascended to heaven (more triumph i guess)

Every group to be accepted under the word "Christian" has to accept that Jesus died to save us, and then rose from the dead. And that Jesus is God. Groups that change these claims, even slightly, will not be part of the wider church hence why Jehovah's Witness's, Jews and Muslims are not considered Christian.

There are people that deny things like the death + resurection, but these people are removed from the Christian church.

It is treated as similar to someone with the claim that Muhammad was not the final prophet but that they are too, such a person would be denying a central tenant of Islam.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So, it's possible that Jesus came back to earth, I guess, it's just that there are no stories about Him being here after the ascension. Seems kind of like a 'Dracula' concept, anyway.

In Mormonism, there's lots of stories about Jesus coming back to earth after the ascension. :)

Crandle

Crucifixion was ~33 AD
Ascension i think was ~43 days later

As unreliable as the witness is, many "Christian" groups or cults have claimed to knwo when Jesus' second coming will be, and a few are collated donw the bottom of the wiki page with references:

wiki "Second Coming of Christ" (i cannot post links yet cos i have <15 posts)

i.e it is common knowledge that Jehovah's Witnesses believe he came back, or the beginning of rapture was in 1914, the the cone that was supposed to happen on the 21st of May this year

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

The scriptures do not say that he came back to earth after his ascension. It only states that he remained on earth after his resurrection for 40 days, teaching his disciples...then after his ascension, he remained in heaven.

before his death, Jesus said at John 14:19 "A little longer and the world will behold me no more"
He only appeared to his disciples after he was resurrected. And after he ascended, he appeared only in supernatural visions such as the vision the Apostle Paul had along the road to Damascus.

Lucian

Theologian
Have you ever heard about the Gospel of Barnabas in that book some of the current Christians believes have been questioned like:

Yes, it is a medieval gospel written by the Moriscos of Spain.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

If I wrote a book and claimed to be a muslim, but in that book I denied that Muhammad ever existed and i attempted to refute a lot of his teachings...would you assume that I must be speaking truth and that my writing was authoritative?

there are many written works and many claim to be christian writings....but upon examination, it is clear when they are not really christian writings.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The scriptures do not say that he came back to earth after his ascension. It only states that he remained on earth after his resurrection for 40 days, teaching his disciples...then after his ascension, he remained in heaven.
Actually, it doesn't say "He remained in Heaven," does it? It only says that He ascended to Heaven. It doesn't say what happened next. ;)

My thinking is that he ascended first (Mary saw him before he ascended), then came and revealed himself to the rest of the believers:

John 20:17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’”

After he ascended and came back, there are many accounts of them holding him, touching his wounds, etc, which he did not want until he ascended. Of course, he descended, then later he ascended permanently in front of many witnesses (until he comes back one last time).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I say...He lives.

After all...if the prophet you follow has failed to enter into the next life....
what then of you?

That we do not see Him, day by day, doesn't mean He failed.
And if He failed then all is lost.
And then any other prophet as well.

As for the ascension....
Heaven was believed to be....up there...in the clouds....

I don't buy it.

In this century we are fairly sure what is beneath our feet...
all around us....and above our heads.

Heaven would be a spiritual place....of mind and heart....not flesh.
Flesh cannot inherit the kingdom.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Actually, it doesn't say "He remained in Heaven," does it? It only says that He ascended to Heaven. It doesn't say what happened next. ;)

ah, but it does...

Hebrews 1:1&#8194;God, who long ago spoke on many occasions and in many ways to our forefathers by means of the prophets, 2 has at the end of these days spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, ....and after he had made a purification for our sins he sat down on the right hand of the Majesty in lofty places

Hebrews 10:12 But this [man] offered one sacrifice for sins perpetually and sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from then on awaiting until his enemies should be placed as a stool for his feet

Acts 7:55 But he, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand

Colossians 3:1 If, however, YOU were raised up with the Christ, go on seeking the things above, where the Christ is seated at the right hand of God

1Peter 3:22 He is at God’s right hand, for he went his way to heaven; and angels and authorities and powers were made subject to him

Jesus will remain in heaven until he has dealt with all of Gods enemies...thats why he said "just a little while longer and the world will behold me no more"
When Christ returns, it will be to deal with Gods enemy Satan...and we will not visibly see that battle....but we will certainly feel its effects. Keep Awake!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Christians traditionally proclaim this mystery of faith:

Christ has died,
Christ is risen,
Christ will come again.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So, it's possible that Jesus came back to earth, I guess, it's just that there are no stories about Him being here after the ascension.
Actually, there is one very good book about His being here after the ascension. You'd probably just dismiss it as fiction, though. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Tbh I don't really research the more obscure Christian texts, and of course there are major differences between Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, etc. I think the big dividing line between Christians is mostly about the trinity concept... I'd be disinclined to call someone who doesn't believe in the divinity (deity) of Jesus a "Christian".
Incidentally, it's quite possible to reject the doctrine of the Trinity and still believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.