• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus helped how??

waitasec

Veteran Member
Im not sure he ever helped anything at all.

religion has been an excuse for control of the masses and murder and is the leader in ignorant thinking since it began in my opinion.

They used to murder you if you didnt like what was in the bible lol

In the name of jesus and the cross south america was trashed by the christians.

today you only have priest abusing little children and murdering abortion doctors and creationist trying to drag humanity down.

my largest problem is the churches stance on conterceptives, in poor countries like parts of africa where overpopulation and aids it is a killer of millions.

I beleive the bible was written for ancient man for that particular period in time. The fact it made it this far is a testiment to its brilliance in authorship and mans needs to belong to something bigger then himself.

very well put...

Blackdog22

I would say we can know one thing for certain. If Jesus' goal was to rid us of original sin then he failed. If his goal was to rid us of some other sin, that has no physical characteristics as outlined in the Bible, then we have no basis on which to judge his success or failure and the Bible never tells us what that sin is.

Either way we can certainly know Jesus did nothing for earth, which makes one wonder why he even came to earth to fulfill something non earth related. I would imagine if the effects of his death were to be invisible then he could of just died for us invisibly, because the outcome would be the same. All of us here on a forum confused on what the hell happened exactly and looking around us seeing no reason to believe Jesus died for anything relevant to our earthly lives.

BIG D

I would say we can know one thing for certain. If Jesus' goal was to rid us of original sin then he failed. If his goal was to rid us of some other sin, that has no physical characteristics as outlined in the Bible, then we have no basis on which to judge his success or failure and the Bible never tells us what that sin is.

Either way we can certainly know Jesus did nothing for earth, which makes one wonder why he even came to earth to fulfill something non earth related. I would imagine if the effects of his death were to be invisible then he could of just died for us invisibly, because the outcome would be the same. All of us here on a forum confused on what the hell happened exactly and looking around us seeing no reason to believe Jesus died for anything relevant to our earthly lives.
well put

BIG D

He has helped individual people. So what was the point of your thread? To show that Jesus didn't do something that he didn't claim to be doing? That is no surprise.
let's just say he has helped some people....but what about the millions who haven't been helped??murdered?raped?died in natural disasters/hunger/war/etc...so, he hasn't helped EVERYONE...for all the hype, and merry christmas stuff, the 'help' sure doesn't seem to outweigh the harm/evil....

BIG D

You still haven't proven this. Maybe if you talk about a formal war. However, that would not be justified in this case. Look at the Persian military campaigns that conquered most of the known world. The Egyptian campaigns. The Roman campaigns, etc. Whole cities were destroyed in many cases there. The land itself was destroyed in many cases.

Sure, they didn't have bombs, but that is besides the point. Instead of being able to fight wars from a distance, they were required to, for the most part, fight hand to hand. The casualties were much higher in percentage wise.

Yes, 60 million were killed. However, have you considered just how many more people were living? That is a big factor.
whole cities. but not ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!! come on, they did NOT have 4 engine bombers back then!!!they could not travel by air....they could not travel across THE PACIFIC OCEAN!!!and cover enough ground to destroy as many cities!!...however, do you not agree, wars/killing has not gone down much at all since jesus came??

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
let's just say he has helped some people....but what about the millions who haven't been helped??murdered?raped?died in natural disasters/hunger/war/etc...so, he hasn't helped EVERYONE...for all the hype, and merry christmas stuff, the 'help' sure doesn't seem to outweigh the harm/evil....
And again, did he claim he would do so? So you are complaining that Jesus didn't do something he didn't claim to do? Where is the logic in that?

And how much harm did Jesus actually cause? Who did he rape, murder, etc? No one.

At the same time, who did Buddha help? There is still war, murder, etc. Yet, it would be illogical to assume that he didn't have some impact on the world. Because for many people, he was helped them a lot. The same if with Jesus. He has helped many people. He has helped people understand the evil in the world, and in return, has given them a reason to help others.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
whole cities. but not ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!! come on, they did NOT have 4 engine bombers back then!!!they could not travel by air....they could not travel across THE PACIFIC OCEAN!!!and cover enough ground to destroy as many cities!!...however, do you not agree, wars/killing has not gone down much at all since jesus came??
Yes all around the world. We see massacres all around the world in ancient times. They didn't need 4 engine bombers.

I do not agree that wars/killing have not gone down. Not in relativity. How many wars are we involved in right now that everything goes? We are not at constant war, or at the threat of constant war. Yes, some countries have it worse, but as a whole, that isn't the case.

waitasec

Veteran Member
wasn't the reason the jews were waiting for a messiah was because they were constantly in battle? the backdrop in the NT was the destruction of the temple and the revolt against the romans. jesus was supposed to bring peace to that region, the known world at that time...
from what i gather.

Matthew 20:28- "Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many.”
Jesus, when on earth, had one deep desire-declare the good news about God's Kingdom- Luke 4:43. Everyone, who calls himself "Christian" must do the same works as Jesus did- declare good news about God's Kingdom

BIG D

Matthew 20:28- "Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many.”
Jesus, when on earth, had one deep desire-declare the good news about God's Kingdom- Luke 4:43. Everyone, who calls himself "Christian" must do the same works as Jesus did- declare good news about God's Kingdom
doesn't seem to help the world much though, does it??

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
wasn't the reason the jews were waiting for a messiah was because they were constantly in battle? the backdrop in the NT was the destruction of the temple and the revolt against the romans. jesus was supposed to bring peace to that region, the known world at that time...
from what i gather.
I'm not positive if Jesus even claimed to be the Messiah though. Some of his followers believed that, before and after his death, but I'm not very convinced that he saw himself as such. Mainly because he was not even attempting to fulfill the Messianic expectations.

Jesus was trying to do something else. He was trying to prepare individuals for the Kingdom of God that would replace the Kingdom of Rome. By doing so, he taught people how to live a better life so they could enter into the Kingdom of God.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
doesn't seem to help the world much though, does it??
Again, did Jesus claim he was going to help the entire world? Seriously, what are your honest intentions with posing this question? You obviously were already set in your idea that nothing has changed, so why even ask? What are you trying to prove?

Also, denying that Jesus has helped individual people is simply impossible. Just like many other religious leaders or philosophers, Jesus has inspired others to live better lives. In addition, to living better lives, he has inspired others to help people around them.

Has Jesus helped? Yes. He has helped individual people live better lives. He has given some people a reason to live. He has influenced individuals so that they give freely of themselves and their resources in order to better the world. Has this had a global impact in the way of getting rid of all wars and the like? Of course not; however, that is not something that Jesus said he was going to do, was expected of him, or is even logical.

BIG D

Again, did Jesus claim he was going to help the entire world? Seriously, what are your honest intentions with posing this question? You obviously were already set in your idea that nothing has changed, so why even ask? What are you trying to prove?

Also, denying that Jesus has helped individual people is simply impossible. Just like many other religious leaders or philosophers, Jesus has inspired others to live better lives. In addition, to living better lives, he has inspired others to help people around them.

Has Jesus helped? Yes. He has helped individual people live better lives. He has given some people a reason to live. He has influenced individuals so that they give freely of themselves and their resources in order to better the world. Has this had a global impact in the way of getting rid of all wars and the like? Of course not; however, that is not something that Jesus said he was going to do, was expected of him, or is even logical.
the reason behind this thread, is because of the BIG deal made of jesus' birth, christmas---it's such a BIG deal, but he didn't contribute much in stopping wars/killing/etc[you know, what I would think is a BIG deal..in fact, humans do not seem to have changed...we can't say for sure how charity or individuals were pre-christ, but we can say for SURE there has been just as much murder/killing/wars, if not more

waitasec

Veteran Member
I'm not positive if Jesus even claimed to be the Messiah though. Some of his followers believed that, before and after his death, but I'm not very convinced that he saw himself as such. Mainly because he was not even attempting to fulfill the Messianic expectations.

Jesus was trying to do something else. He was trying to prepare individuals for the Kingdom of God that would replace the Kingdom of Rome. By doing so, he taught people how to live a better life so they could enter into the Kingdom of God.

but was the kingdom of god, heaven or a peaceful kingdom on earth?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala

Jesus seemed to indicate that the "kingdom of god" was all things. It was an inner reality, it would become an earthly kingdom, and it was a type of ultimate reality. At least that's what I got out of his teachings on it.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
A peaceful Kingdom here on Earth. That isn't to say that all evil would be instantly wiped away or anything. But still, Jesus did not claim that he would bring peace on Earth.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
the reason behind this thread, is because of the BIG deal made of jesus' birth, christmas---it's such a BIG deal, but he didn't contribute much in stopping wars/killing/etc[you know, what I would think is a BIG deal..in fact, humans do not seem to have changed...we can't say for sure how charity or individuals were pre-christ, but we can say for SURE there has been just as much murder/killing/wars, if not more
He never claimed he would contribute anything to stopping wars or the like though. So why expect it at all. Jesus even states the opposite, that he wasn't bringing peace.

As for humans changing, we know a lot about the past. We can definitely see a change.

waitasec

Veteran Member
A peaceful Kingdom here on Earth. That isn't to say that all evil would be instantly wiped away or anything. But still, Jesus did not claim that he would bring peace on Earth.

i would say, based on what the NT tells us and what we know of the circumstances behind the birth of christianity, was that war against the romans would ultimately bring peace...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i would say, based on what the NT tells us and what we know of the circumstances behind the birth of christianity, was that war against the romans would ultimately bring peace...
Possibly, but I don't think Jesus was actually looking for war. He was hoping that God himself would intervene.

Many Jews, I believe, were not actually looking for war with the Romans, simply because they were aware of what would occur. The same thing had happened various times already. But for the Kingdom of God to take place on the Earth, Rome would have to be defeated.

Over time though, there is evidence that the idea changed because it was forced to. Jesus' prophecies didn't come to pass, so they had to be reinterpreted. Again, the prophecies failed, and more reinterpretation.