• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus of Nazareth Studied the Bhagavad Gita and buddhist texts

GoodbyeDave

Jesus attended the synagogue and the Temple. He observed the Passover. He asserted that he wanted his followers to observe the Halakha. He told his disciples only to preach to Jews. How much more of a Jew can you get? Yes, there were a few Buddhists in the Roman Empire. There were also millions of Pagans. He could have been either, but he was a Jew.

As for surviving crucifixion, as Rival said, you didn't. It was an execution, and you weren't taken down until you were well and truly dead, even if it took days.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
George-Ananda If Jesus was such a great religious leader, and I believe he was, how come he had so little influence over Indian thought like he had in Palestine, having an obscure temple with few devout followers hardly qualifies of a great religious leader, does it, or do you think Jesus went to India to retire??

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Many Gospels say that Jesus wasn't even crucified in the first place.
others say that he married Magdalene.
The infancy gospel potrays Jesus as an angry vengeful child who kills his own friend and curses at elders.

Keeping in track with them, a theory of Jesus being a Buddhist wouldn't really be that hard.
Crucifixion is hard to bare for people, but Jesus wasn't exactly a people.
Where are his missing years?

Identifying Jesus solely from the 4 gospels that were administered by leaders in the bible out of the need of making Jesus divine in 324 AD, isn't exactly authentic.
The first authentic documents of Jesus arrived in 49 BC in the letters of Paul, 16 years after Jesus died.
Others were written later in the 1st to 2nd century. Revelations was written at the time of Nero's persecution.

So the bible is what people want us to see, it's NOT the truth but a small part of it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What's untrue, you're claiming the Aquarian gospel is not a fraud, I suggest you read Wikipedia's take on the work;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aquarian_Gospel_of_Jesus_the_Christ
Just a side point to you discussion with @Knight of Albion . Wikipedia has been hit by an editing group that calls themselves 'Gorilla Skeptics'. So many articles involving religious and paranormal subjects have been heavily edited by haters of religion and the paranormal. I no longer consider Wikipedia a balanced source of information which is really a shame.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It is theorized that Jesus Christ wasn't killed during the crucifixion and he escaped to India (Kashmir valley).
The ahhamadiya Muslim community there believe that the man lived upto 80 and was buried at a shrine in Srinagar.
His grave is believed to have a footprint of him that shows the impact of nails driven through his feet.

The same theory goes further to prescribe the lost years of Jesus, from the ages of 14-29, Jesus spent his time in India learning mainly buddhist teachings, but also a bit about Vedic literature and the Bhagavad Gita.
Which could explain the striking similarities between Buddhist teachings and Jesus'.

The shrine where Jesus is said to be buried is the only tomb that in that region that is placed according to jewsh traditions.

It certainly is an interesting idea... But does any evidence exists to support it?
Was Jesus indeed a Buddhist?
Both had similar 3 temptations so Jesus probably was already familiar but mostly cause he was a buddha and/or one of the reincarnated avatars.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is theorized that Jesus Christ wasn't killed during the crucifixion and he escaped to India (Kashmir valley).
The ahhamadiya Muslim community there believe that the man lived upto 80 and was buried at a shrine in Srinagar.
His grave is believed to have a footprint of him that shows the impact of nails driven through his feet.

The same theory goes further to prescribe the lost years of Jesus, from the ages of 14-29, Jesus spent his time in India learning mainly buddhist teachings, but also a bit about Vedic literature and the Bhagavad Gita.
Which could explain the striking similarities between Buddhist teachings and Jesus'.

The shrine where Jesus is said to be buried is the only tomb that in that region that is placed according to jewsh traditions.

It certainly is an interesting idea... But does any evidence exists to support it?
Its a myth.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
George-Ananda If Jesus was such a great religious leader, and I believe he was, how come he had so little influence over Indian thought like he had in Palestine, having an obscure temple with few devout followers hardly qualifies of a great religious leader, does it, or do you think Jesus went to India to retire??
I believe Jesus to be an advanced soul and teacher with great powers. The reason that history has given such enormous attention to His Israel period has to do more with politics and historical happennings then and after His death. His ministry in Israel became wound up with greater geo-political forces.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is wrong, Buddhist missionaries had reached Asia Minor by the time of Christ, so he wouldn't even have to have left Palestine to potentially be exposed to Buddhist Philosophy. The clearest evidence for Buddhist influence on Jesus is when he was asked which of the ten commandments were the most important, he picked 5 which coincidentally are the same as 4 of the 5 Buddhist precepts for lay followers. No lie, No steal, no kill, and No adultery, and Honour you Mother and Father, which is the central tenet of Asian culture, so much so that the Buddha did not have to make a rule for it. To these 5 commandments Jesus added his own, Love you neighbor as yourself, and this shows us that Jesus was both a follower and a leader/innovator. None of this has very much at all to do with Greek or Roman religions. Interestingly the one Buddhist lay precept that Jesus left out is No drugs or Alcohol; Sobriety, evidently not as important to his message as the Buddha's.
There is no influence on Jesus from Buddhism. The two views are utterly different.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The ahhamadiya Muslim community there believe that the man lived up-to 80 and was buried at a shrine in Srinagar.
Jesus died, naturally and peacefully, at the age of 120 years:
"it is!definite!that!Jesus died a natural death in Kashmir."
"About his book Jesus in India the Promised Messiah, may peace be on!him, said that he would prove in the book that neither Jesus died on the Cross, nor was he raised bodily to the heavens and surely he is not going to descend from heaven. In!fact, he reached the old age of 120 years and passed away in Sri Nagar, India, where his tomb is!also located. He first proves this through Biblical proofs, then with reference to the Holy Qur’an and the Hadith, then medical testimonies regarding the properties of the ointment and finally through historical testimonies.
https://www.alislam.org/archives/sermons/summary/FST20100430-EN.pdf
As I have quoted from the Ahmadiyya sources, Jesus did not die at the age of 80 years but he died at the age of 120 years a natural death.

Regards

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps you don't really understand Christianity and/or Buddhism. The moral code for instance is very similar.
The moral principles of the entire human society is similar, from Confucious, Aristotle, Buddha, Jesus. Shows nothing other that they lived in human societies. Australian or Saan tribes also have the same moral code. I can quote the same moral principles from Egyptian scroll of 3000 BCE. The moral principles are not innovative at all among these people.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Sorry but there's no way I am going to believe you can read hieroglyphs.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I give the photo of Jesus' feet mentioned by you:

Rozabal-3-300x225.jpg

Footprints (Photo courtesy of Dr. Fida Hassnain)

Carved Footprints

The carved footprints are one of the distinctive features of the tomb and one of the main clues in helping us identify the person buried there. They are mentioned in the latest edition of the Lonely Planet guide and interestingly, they were also mentioned in the letter of Maulawi Abdullah(ra).

Footprints (Photo courtesy of Dr. Fida Hassnain)

‘Near the grave of this prophet of Allah in the right-hand corner there is a stone, which has upon it the footprints of a man. It is said that it is the footsteps of the messenger. Probably this footprint of this prince-prophet remains as a sign.’
Many researchers have pointed to the feet carvings and highlighted how they appear to show crucifixion scars on both feet. The location of the scars towards the front of the feet and at different places on each foot, is also significant. The BBC 4 documentary, “Did Jesus Die?”, highlights these carved footprints and states:

The position of the scars, just behind the toes, do not match each other, but they would align if a single nail was driven through both feet, with the left foot placed on top of the right.”9
This is a key piece of evidence about the tomb and has featured prominently in books and documentaries covering the subject.
Dr Fida Hassnain talks about his personal discovery of these carved footprints and the effect it had on him in a documentary shown on the Discovery Channel:

“I asked one of my assistants just clear [sic].., it was quite dark, but anyhow he cleared it and he said ‘Oh, I feel some sort of sculpted stone is here’. We just cleaned the surface and there I felt feet impressions, and looking at them it appeared they had wound marks
.”10

Feet carvings themselves are quite common, but Dr Hassnain states that he has never seen feet carvings with these distinctive marks upon them.

“I felt astonished to see these wound marks, and at once it took me to the Crucifixion scene where Jesus was put on the cross.”

Were these scars on the feet illustrating something distinctive about the inhabitant of the tomb? This fascinating clue has been alluded to by every researcher studying the tomb. What was the person who made this sculpture trying to highlight, and why did he or she consider it so important?

- See more at: http://www.reviewofreligions.org/2727/rozabal-–-the-tomb-of-jesus-christas/#sthash.9n48lTrs.dpuf

Regards

Brian Schuh

There is the New Testament, the Talmud, Gnostic literature, and some Pseudepigrapha that mentions Jesus. Most if not all of this written long after Jesus.

I believe Jesus was a lifelong student. Talmud says he studied under a rabbi in Israel and studied magic and other subjects in Egypt. It is within the realm of possibility that he would have studied in India. It isn't evidence that something is merely possible.

The Talmud seems to suggest that there were about a half a dozen Yeshua's at that time, and a myth of Jesus incorporated attributes from a half a dozen men.

I'm asking, is there a connection between Gnosticism and Eastern faith? If there is, there might be some evidence along that inquiry.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There is the New Testament, the Talmud, Gnostic literature, and some Pseudepigrapha that mentions Jesus. Most if not all of this written long after Jesus.
I believe Jesus was a lifelong student. Talmud says he studied under a rabbi in Israel and studied magic and other subjects in Egypt. It is within the realm of possibility that he would have studied in India. It isn't evidence that something is merely possible.
The Talmud seems to suggest that there were about a half a dozen Yeshua's at that time, and a myth of Jesus incorporated attributes from a half a dozen men.
I'm asking, is there a connection between Gnosticism and Eastern faith? If there is, there might be some evidence along that inquiry.
The Jews had names at that time that were very common name sakes.
Regards

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well then show us the 3000BC version of the ten commandments, if you have it handy and can show its just the same sort of moral code, which I don't think you can, I think you're bluffing.

Brian Schuh

The Jews had names at that time that were very common name sakes.
Regards
Right, so we cannot be certain unless the record says Yeshua of Nazareth, or Yeshua crucified under Pilate.

Since the Talmud has been published, it has been censored. So there are code words for Jesus and the Mother Mary, to escape the notice of those censoring it.

However, the Vatican and a few of those few who know the Talmud back and forward are right now producing an uncensored Talmud in English the way it was meant to be read before the Vatican censored it, for the first time in history. The Vatican is relinquishing copies of the first Talmuds ever printed which were confiscated by the pope, not that the Jews need this cooperation, but even today with freedom of press in much of the world, permission of the pope is appreciated. Even now, Jews are afraid to publish their oral traditions of Jesus for fear of antisemitism.