• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus thought polygamy is OK!

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Look at example in Matthew 25. Jesus is giving a parable. But in His mind, it is ok 10 virgin girls have one and the same husband:

"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

“At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’"

“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut."

rocala

"Then shall the Kingdom of Heaven be likened unto ten virgins".
It is nothing to do with approval, it is an example, he is giving a lesson about being ready. It is like the Boy Scout motto - "Be Prepared".

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
"Then shall the Kingdom of Heaven be likened unto ten virgins".
It is nothing to do with approval, it is an example, he is giving a lesson about being ready. It is like the Boy Scout motto - "Be Prepared".

He could have used other examples. Didn't have to use a bad act, as an example to teach about Kingdom of God.
clearly He didn't think it was wrong, because Jesus lived 2000 years ago. He didn't manifest as a Modern man, in a civilized world.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
"Clearly" There is nothing clear about it. It is an example. What about the story of the good Samaritan, do you think Jesus is in favour of mugging?

The thing is, the Old T. Clearly allows polygamy. Many Prophets in the Bible had multiple wives. And Jesus was sent from the same God, that had revealed Laws of Torah.

Jesus never said, you shall not have more than one wife. If He wanted to, He would have said it, in the same way, He said, they cannot divorce their wife.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
He could have used other examples. Didn't have to use a bad act, as an example to teach about Kingdom of God.
clearly He didn't think it was wrong, because Jesus lived 2000 years ago. He didn't manifest as a Modern man, in a civilized world.
Who says Jesus lived 2000 yrs ago? I think “Jesus” is living in the flesh now on earth.

Ebionite

The thing is, the Old T. Clearly allows polygamy. Many Prophets in the Bible had multiple wives. And Jesus was sent from the same God, that had revealed Laws of Torah.

Jesus never said, you shall not have more than one wife. If He wanted to, He would have said it, in the same way, He said, they cannot divorce their wife.
Monogamy was from Roman culture, and Roman influence on Christianity was primarily via Paul, not Jesus.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Maybe it has something to do with being new to something ... It's possible that introductions to a way of life different than what they have previously seen or been accustomed to is what this is referring to. If it's about sexuality and this type of marriage, then far be from me to enter into that with a guy, being a guy myself.

I'm thinking, it has to do with being part of something, and for me that something involves truth and sincerity, justice and accountability. People like me, we carry our own burdens, ailments, and shortcomings. To carry our own cross, is to acknowledge accountability and to accept this through what we've learned from Jesus. Even to acknowledge that we also have a due date to enter into the resurrection this way, whether by sword, disease, old age, and we (many of us) also profess this at our water baptism. Our wages are death because we (fall short/miss the mark) and understand that we all fall short of God's glory.

The good news is we don't simply go away, becoming no more but we are transformed, renewed, reborn, and resurrected as new creations. Ten virgins, a bridegroom, and sexuality ... I very seriously doubt this is part of the truth as written, aside from being a requirement in life to further propagate our species, minus your "polygamous" presentation being a viable likely-hood of intent of that passage.

I like woman too, but maidens are far too fair for a guy like me, and they (many anyway) aren't seasoned enough to understand the value of a true monogamous life with someone you love.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The New Testament teaches that divorce and polygamy were temporary concessions of the Mosaic Law. By referencing the creation of Eve, Jesus implies that monogamy was the divine intention from the beginning. Islam allowing for polygamy is a regression from Christianity.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
The New Testament teaches that divorce and polygamy were temporary concessions of The Mosaic Law. By referencing the creation of Eve, Jesus implies that monogamy was the divine intention from the beginning. Islam allowing for polygamy is a regression from Christianity.

I agree with the divorce. As Jesus annualed that. But not with polygamy.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I agree with the divorce. As Jesus annualed that. But not with polygamy.
Jesus always speaks of a man's wife in the singular and references Adam and Eve as the primordial marriage. The implication being that monogamy is what God intended. Polygamy was never so much permitted as rather overlooked.

GoodAttention

Jesus always speaks of a man's wife in the singular and references Adam and Eve as the primordial marriage. The implication being that monogamy is what God intended. Polygamy was never so much permitted as rather overlooked.

Jesus also answers a question about a woman being married to seven brothers.