• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jesus was a compassionatie, super-intelligent gay man"

Smoke

Done here.
So says Elton John in an interview with Parade magazine, if you can call it an interview. Parade.com features (here) a collection of random quotes presented without context or elaboration.
His take on Christianity.
"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That would explain a 33 yr old single man of that era.
(Personally, I think Paul was in the closet, but that is another story.)

footprints

So says Elton John in an interview with Parade magazine, if you can call it an interview. Parade.com features (here) a collection of random quotes presented without context or elaboration.
"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."

Just like anybody else, Elton John is entitled to his own perception. If Jesus being gay works for him, what can I say, it works for him. Let us all hope, Elton John now practices what Jesus taught, and still doesn't consider himself a God in his own mind.

no-body

23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. 24 Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means."

25 Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?"
Sounds pretty homoerotic to me.

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't know if there's anything to debate.

But I do think that there are clearer examples of openly gay people in ancient history that accomplished great things - Alexander the Great and Socrates (or at least Alicbiades) would be at the top of the list.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I don't know if there's anything to debate.

But I do think that there are clearer examples of openly gay people in ancient history that accomplished great things - Alexander the Great and Socrates (or at least Alicbiades) would be at the top of the list.
Not to mention Hadrian, who practically worshiped the accomplishments of Alexander.

footprints

Sounds pretty homoerotic to me.

Personally I don't believe Jesus would mind being referred to as gay. I reckon he would would just laugh and smile and say, "Whatever tweaks your eye sunshine. Who I am, what I am, isn't really important, the teachings and lessons I give you are the important things. I just hope and pray, your own prejudice and bias doesn't get in the way of the teachings I left for you, for at the moment they are clouding your vision irrespective of whether I am gay or not."

Ozzie

Scorcese can now commence filming The Last Temptation of Christ 2 with Elton appearing as Devil's Advocate.:angel2:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think folks -- including Elton John -- tend to mindlessly equate certain traits with gay people. However, in real life, those traits are not necessarily associated with gay people. There are a whole lot of cruel and malicioius gays in this world, just as their are a whole lot of cruel and malicious straights. The traits ascribed to Jesus are not evidence of any sexual orientation -- except to those who share John's prejudices.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I put it in debates because I thought it was a fairly controversial statement. In a lifetime of reading about Jesus, I've never before come across a claim that he was "super-intelligent."

That's an interesting point. I overlooked that at first, but it's quite true -- Jesus is not often said to be super-intelligent. How interesting!

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Using a believer-inspired argument, there is no proof Jesus was heterosexual, so he MUST have been gay. Good for him. Who cares.

Last edited:

footprints

I put it in debates because I thought it was a fairly controversial statement. In a lifetime of reading about Jesus, I've never before come across a claim that he was "super-intelligent."

Some things do not need to be said, an intelligent person can recognise the above average intelligence of Jesus, by reading his logic and reasoning. A wise person could recognise the Wisdom in his words and teachings.

In general, people will gain themselves out of anything they read, see or hear.

LoTrobador

Neither have I, it doesn't seem to be an oft-heard expression. :) I think a reason might be that within the (post-)Christian "Western" culture the discourse (even non-religious) on Jesus is still largely influenced by the religious concepts and categories, so Jesus' intelligence is somehow "taken for granted" (pretty much the same way not many wonder why Jesus isn't regarded as a saint :)).