• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jesus was a compassionatie, super-intelligent gay man"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Like most people, I firmly believe John's statement to be the decade's single most insightful comment on Christianity. It's the sort of thing bound to renew scholarship in the field. I simply don't understand why some people slight his remarks. It's just incomprehensible.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You confuse 'controversial' with stupid. Elton John's silly projections hardly deserve to be taken seriously.
I dont think he meant them to be taken seriously in a way which is more than making a social statement.
we have heard that Jesus was Aryan, Black, Palestinian, etc. and all these were held with passionate religious and political sentiments, 'backed up' by the 'scholarship' of the propagators. Elton John's comment should be viewed in the context of current debate and human rights issues. it is a social statement, no more.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You confuse 'controversial' with stupid. Elton John's silly projections hardly deserve to be taken seriously.

I think you sin against decency, Jay. Smoke does not deserve to have his comments taken out of context and misrepresented. Please reconsider your remarks.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
However unlikely it is that Jesus was a super-intelligent gay man, it's probably no more unlikely than the idea that he was the Creator of the World.

However, I don't know where you got the idea that stupidity and controversy are mutually exclusive. Good Lord, if you couldn't get stupid people excited about nothing, how would Bill Donohue make a living? As I anticipated, Elton John's comments are being taken seriously by stupid people, and therein lies the controversy.

Smoke

Done here.
Like most people, I firmly believe John's statement to be the decade's single most insightful comment on Christianity. It's the sort of thing bound to renew scholarship in the field. I simply don't understand why some people slight his remarks. It's just incomprehensible.
Arguing about whether Jesus was gay is much more fun than arguing about whether he possesses both a divine nature and a human nature or a single nature that is both human and divine. Plus, there's the added fun of watching Bill Donohue spit, sputter, and turn red in the face anytime he thinks Catholicism isn't getting the proper respect.

Jeremiah

Some things do not need to be said, an intelligent person can recognise the above average intelligence of Jesus, by reading his logic and reasoning. A wise person could recognise the Wisdom in his words and teachings.

In general, people will gain themselves out of anything they read, see or hear.

"an intelligent person can recognise the above average intelligence of Jesus, by reading his logic and reasoning. A wise person could recognise the Wisdom in his words and teachings"

And some people recognize Plato.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I dont think he meant them to be taken seriously in a way which is more than making a social statement.
we have heard that Jesus was Aryan, Black, Palestinian, etc. and all these were held with passionate religious and political sentiments, 'backed up' by the 'scholarship' of the propagators. Elton John's comment should be viewed in the context of current debate and human rights issues. it is a social statement, no more.
I think it just goes to show that some people like to use Jesus as a mirror. Elton John looks at Jesus and sees a gay man, while Bill Donohue looks at Jesus and sees an upholder of his version of Catholic virtue.

Jeremiah

So says Elton John in an interview with Parade magazine, if you can call it an interview. Parade.com features (here) a collection of random quotes presented without context or elaboration.
His take on Christianity.
"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."

That would explain what he was doing with that naked guy in the garden that one night.

“Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest me as though I were a guerrilla? Day after day I was with you in the Temple teaching, and you did not arrest me. But let the scriptures be fulfilled.” All of them deserted him and fled. A young man was following him, wearing nothing but a linen [cloth]. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen [cloth] and ran off naked. (Mark 14:48-52)

Jeremiah

It is not too unrealistic to think that maybe Jesus had gay-homo sex now and then, but even if he did that does not mean he was a homosexual as we would think of the term. But there is not really enough info to determine that he was gay or anything else for that matter, Elton is reaching..

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is not too unrealistic to think that maybe Jesus had gay-homo sex now and then, but even if he did that does not mean he was a homosexual as we would think of the term. But really there is not really enough info to determine that he was gay or had gay-homo sex, Elton is reaching..
Though he's not the first person to infer his own preconceptions and attitudes in Jesus. Jesus is made out to be the ideal man, so it somewhat stands to reason that whatever we view as "ideal", it's one of his attributes.

Smoke

Done here.
I think it just goes to show that some people like to use Jesus as a mirror. Elton John looks at Jesus and sees a gay man, while Bill Donohue looks at Jesus and sees an upholder of his version of Catholic virtue.
That's one of the fascinating things about "Jesus" -- that is, not Jesus himself, but the masks people give him. In our culture, a lot of people -- not just Christians, either -- want to believe that Jesus was pretty much just like them and shared their worldview. Visions of white Jesus, black Jesus, Christian Jesus, Muslim Jesus, royalist Jesus and revolutionary Jesus; it just depends whose vision it is.

That's why I like to make remarks every so often implying that I think Jesus was gay. It's not that I really think he was gay; I just enjoying tweaking the heterocentric nose of the majority every so often. The Bible says nothing about the sexuality of Jesus, and in the Christian tradition he's believed to have been sexually abstinent for his entire life, so what possible difference could it make to a Christian whether he was gay or straight? And how could we possibly know? But people assume that he was straight, and take great offense at the idea that he might have been gay. Then there are the people who don't believe he was sexually abstinent, but assume that he must have had a relationship with Mary Magdalene, or even that he had relationships with the Magdalene and also with Mary and Martha of Bethany. They can see him with a woman, some of them can even see him as a polygamist, but the idea that he could have been gay is beyond the Pale. Why? All his closest relationships were with men. But people see what they want to see, and they want to see themselves. If Jesus had any sexuality, it must have been heterosexuality. If he was sexually active, it must have been with women. If there is a Santa Claus, there must be a Mrs. Claus.

Of course Elton John is doing exactly the same thing other people do, and it's just as silly. But heterosexuals don't see it as silly when they do it; Black Jesus, White Jesus, Conservative Jesus and Liberal Jesus all seem plausible in a way that Gay Jesus absolutely does not. That's what I find amusing and interesting.

Jeremiah

Though he's not the first person to infer his own preconceptions and attitudes in Jesus. Jesus is made out to be the ideal man, so it somewhat stands to reason that whatever we view as "ideal", it's one of his attributes.

I was reading a book on Alexander the Great and I think what he said about Alexander would equally apply to Jesus.

Thus each man who approaches the study of Alexander is confronted with the mythological and historical figures. What he makes out of these is for him the real Alexander, an interpretation which becomes personal. - Eugene N. Borza

Who

Why on Earth, would anyone look to a has-been entertainer for their guidance or opinions on religious matters? Is he known for a degree in Divinity or something? Is he a well known Christian scholar?

Smoke

Done here.
Why on Earth, would anyone look to a has-been entertainer for their guidance or opinions on religious matters? Is he known for a degree in Divinity or something? Is he a well known Christian scholar?
Why on earth would anyone look to a well-known Christian scholar for guidance on religion? :D

Who

Why on earth would anyone look to a well-known Christian scholar for guidance on religion? :D

I agree ;)

That being said, listening someone known to study a given topic is far more understandable than listening to uninformed-aging-gay-has-been-entertainer.

Smoke

Done here.
That being said, listening someone known to study a given topic is far more understandable than listening to uninformed-aging-gay-has-been-entertainer.
I'm not sure just how you imagine his being 62 years old or being gay impacts his credibility -- or being an entertainer, for that matter. I tend to assume, as you do, that he's uninformed, but we don't really know that, either.

I didn't really start the thread to discuss whether Jesus was gay, though of course people can do that if they want to. It's more about perceptions of Jesus.

LittleNipper

So says Elton John in an interview with Parade magazine, if you can call it an interview. Parade.com features (here) a collection of random quotes presented without context or elaboration.
His take on Christianity.
"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."
Well, that all goes to show you that even a super star like Elton John can be half right...

Try acting the homosexual man in the Middle East and you're as good as dead.