• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Legion, your going way to far in depth. I'm not sayings myths represent general archetypal parallels throughout all of aincent history. Quite the contrary acutally, I'm am saying that symbols within myths such as the pillars of the end of the world in the myth of hercules actually represents a physical location. I think the book that I saw said that the pillars actually represented the cliffs at the end of the straight of Gibraltar. No universal archetypal psychoanalysis of general myth among aincent history needed. And only intelligent people within the Greek sphere would know that the two pillars actually represented two cliffs, for less intelligent people, or people outside of Greece, they would simply think that there were actually two pillars.

Same thing if you were to ask someone in Cambodia about my representation of the eagle and the bear. They would have no idea what you were talking about. But if you ask someone with a little knowledge of American and Russia and their national animals, they could probably deduce that I was talking about the cold war.

Along the lines of exaggeration in the teaching of Jesus and Martial arts masters your've argued my point as well. Less people are going to accept things which require dedication and motivation. So the less regulation and restriction that you have the more people are going to want to join the religion. Now as people showed dedication and true interest they would be indoctrinated into deeper and deeper levels of initiation that required more dedication but reaped more rewards according to the belief system

I believe some had suggested that the same thing happen when Moses brought down the ten commandments, the guidelines were to strict for the general population to follow and their was outrage amongst the masses so Moses brought down some more "easier to follow" commandments, but he still taught the original doctrine to those select few that showed the dedication.

AmbiguousGuy

Apart from your modern era biases, what makes you think this would have been exciting?
Common sense, mostly, along with my deep study of the human psyche. While all the biblical scholars were arguing over the proper declension of some exotic adjective in a long-dead language, I was out in the world putting my fellow minds under the microscope, listening to their words, their inflections -- then going away to muse long hours and days about them, writing about them, going back to them and listening again, asking them questions, watching how they answered.

So you may consider me a scholar of the human heart if you like. I have a professional-level sense of what drives people, why they behave as they do. I've spent my life at it. Because of this, I'm in a much superior position than the average biblical scholar (or even the advanced biblical scholar) to make a judgment about why first-century folk found the Jesus story so exciting.

[God, I so love to do smug!]

Anway. What, apart from your modern-era biases, makes you think that people would NOT find an historical Jesus to be quite exciting?

What, in the historical record (which is littered with references, stories, legends, even histories of gods, demigods, magi, and wonder-workers) makes you think that a messiah would be exciting when he didn't do anything messianic?
What can I say. If you don't understand the excitement of believing in an historical godman, then I can only imagine that you may have spent a bit more time in declension argumentation than you might've. Sorry to put it that way, but it's what I really believe. Not only are (some, many) biblical scholars biased toward an historical Jesus, by virtue of investing their lives in him, but academics tend to be poorly-equipped to understand the thought of average folk, the sort of folk who would flock to the idea of an historical godman, even if the godman were not historical.

If it was so exciting, why do we know that Celsus, a 2nd century anti-Christian philosopher whose work is known only through Origen's Contra Celsum, said there was nothing special about Jesus that hadn't been said about others?
Are you serious? You're asking me why a guy had an opinion about Jesus once upon a time?

Well, because guys like to have opinions about Jesus. I'm not sure what else to say.

Why, if this idea was so exciting, did it take 300 years before the practice was made legal?
It took 300 years because it was a new religion and these were primitive times. Don't let your modern-era biases make you think that it was just as easy back then to accept a new religion as it is now. The ancient and modern worlds are different in many ways.

Which presumes that the Christ myth existed before this claim. Which means that somehow a Jewish role that was supposed to result in the restoration of Israel or something like it (and not the execution of the messiah), was a myth that didn't fit into Judaism, didn't make sense among pagans, and we have no record of apart from tracing it all back to one person at one time and region, was all somehow put together before Mark. Moreover, this thoroughly non-Jewish messiah was introduced to the world by a text that required a Jewish matrix of understanding, was poorly written (especially if we're going with the budding author theory) and yet was so exciting that the non-Jewish non-Pagan Christ godman worshippers who we have no record of dropped their godman worship and started saying he was historical. And nobody else, within Judaism or paganism, either thought of this idea first or imitated it later by writing a biographical-type narrative of a godman, despite who exciting it was? That's how unbelievably stupid and uncreative the Jews and Pagans were: they couldn't even come up with a historical fiction-type account of their gods and/or demi-gods.
I wish you were more debater and less preacher. See if you can convince me of your position. Forget about broadcasting your message to the masses. It's a debate/discussion forum.

From having read the gospel of Mark and compared it to the lives written by Greco-Roman biographers, from the way it reads by itself (in Greek especially)....
But be careful that you don't let your modern-era biases throw you off. Sure if you read it yourself now, you won't find it exciting. But you've got to try and put yourself back into the minds of those ancients.

So our anonymous literary innovator possessed the foresight and familiarity with a story to know how effective a fictional account of this godman that seemed like a biographical writing would be, but did not possess the ability to write it well. Finally, there is the testimony of a few centuries of Christian/pagan writings which are informative here. Marcion chose Luke, perhaps the best written, as his gospel (rejecting the others) along with Paul's letters. Church tradition held that only Matthew and John were written by disciples, while Mark as written by John Mark, Peter's secretary. Nowhere is it given pride of place until the 19th century.
I really have no idea to whom you're speaking. Not to me, surely.

I can't. Because there are very few that fit the Western conception of religion and even among those many were created by Western conceptions. Hinduism, for example. See e.g.,
Well, are you able to bring Mormonism to mind? Are you familiar with its history? If not, I'll be glad to tell you what I know about it and why (forgive me, lurking Mormons) I feel it's a very good parallel to the Jesus situation. My opinion is that Smith told The Big Lie, and that's why he was a success. The Big Lie works.

Smith found the golden tablets. All Mark had to do was imagine Jesus as having lived 40 years earlier in Jerusalem and then write a little sketch about it.

I know that's your opinion. What I want is some evidence for it besides vague claims about how religions are started.
Hey, if you won't present any evidence for your opinion, why should I present evidence for mine? That isn't fair.

The first statement is a hard and fast opinion on a historical matter. The second statement is you denying you have such.
Nah, you're just confused. And you are helpless to force me into holding hard-and-fast historical opinions. Sorry.

Why? Well because all of the evidence (except for that business about meeting Jesus' brother) screams that Paul had no notion of a 30 CE Jesus. So a rational thinker will simply ignore the Brother James business as some kind of fluke and go with the massive bulk of the evidence. It's how we rationalists operate.

But maybe I'm mistaken. Did Paul ever mention Jesus by name? Did Paul write about the earthly life of Jesus after hearing all about it, in great detail, from the apostles themselves?

It's not an assumption. Most of what we know about individuals comes to us from single lines, inscriptions, etc. It doesn't give a good idea about these people, but it gives us a much better idea about what literature is now lost. This has been tested by the number of times we've discovered a lost text that we knew of compared to a lost text we didn't.

Also, we have the nag hammadi find and other "heretical" texts that were once lost. One of the most important issues that settled was whether or not the heresiologists were spreading lies about the beliefs of their opponents because some scholars argued that the descriptions and quotations we had were too clearly fantastical and esoteric to be accurate. Then we found lots of gnostic texts, and it turns out that whatever asides and comments the heresiologists inserted into their attacks and defenses, they did accurately quote and summarize the views of their opponents. So we have a few hundred years of writings filled with anti-Christian sentiment preserved by those who sought to counter it. We have Celsus telling us Jesus is a ******* son of a Roman soldier, the Emperor Julian's Against the Galileans, the scorn of Pliny and Tacitus, and numerous other sources which either mention Jesus in passing or devote a great deal to him and his worshippers yet never did anybody say "he didn't exist". One the contrary, at least some used Jesus' ignoble birth to mock him and his followers.
I think you should consider using source material rather than relying upon the spats of far-removed historians.

2 John 1:7... For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.

I'm afraid that trumps anything you can present. Jesus naysayers existed. Even the Bible admits it.

And if we can't trust the Bible for our Jesus knowledge, well, even you would discount Jesus in that case, I think.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Legion, your going way to far in depth.

I guess that depends on how one looks at it. For a discussion forum, sure. But one could (and many have) written entire volumes on just one symbol. In fact, there's an entire field of study (semiotics) devoted just to symbols. Defining myth by itself has proven extremely difficult for anthropologists, historians, and others in the humanities or social sciences. Same with symbols. Equating the two in some fashion is a bit like delving into consciousness and the quantum physics of ions and microtubules of neurons at the same time.

Rather than do either (try to understand myths in terms of symbols or vice versa) I'd recommend looking at cognitive semantics, metaphor and cognition, and similar topics. They're much more well-defined and they deal far less with trying to describe something like myth through something that is essentially a representation of meaning that is subjective and cultural (or more).

I'm not sayings myths represent general archetypal parallels throughout all of aincent history. Quite the contrary acutally, I'm am saying that symbols within myths such as the pillars of the end of the world in the myth of hercules actually represents a physical location.
The archetype approach was one of two central approaches I mentioned. Bachofen, Frazer, etc., all predate psychoanalysis and attempted to do something like you are.

Would I be incorrect if I said that your knowledge of mythologies comes mostly from mythology collections?

Same thing if you were to ask someone in Cambodia about my representation of the eagle and the bear. They would have no idea what you were talking about. But if you ask someone with a little knowledge of American and Russia and their national animals, they could probably deduce that I was talking about the cold war.

Langue et parole, Bedeutung und Ausdruck, signs and meaning, they are were all part of what became cognitive science.

Along the lines of exaggeration in the teaching of Jesus and Martial arts masters your've argued my point as well.

I've argued a point that, if one holds your assumptions, supports your view.

Less people are going to accept things which require dedication and motivation. So the less regulation and restriction that you have the more people are going to want to join the religion.

Most Christian converts did not have any regulations or restrictions at all from any religion. Why did they join?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The Buddha Myth | Buddha as Fiction -

Was Prophet Mohammed a real person?

Not trying to argue that they did/did not exist, I am just trying to say that people question their historical existence. The same goes for Socrates, Plato, Abraham, and just about every other historical figure you can think of.
Oh God; please, please, please don't use Acharya S for anything. She's peddling a load of old bollocks to the point where I don't know if she's just genuienly ignorant, deliberately peddling misinformation, or a Poe.

(For a basic idea, Kṛṣṇa was never crucified, but died from an arrow when he was meditating, Kṛṣṇa was not born of a virgin (Devakī had given birth to 7 children prior, all were killed), and so on; Buddha was not crucified but died from eating stale pork/mushrooms (depending on tradition at 80 years old.)

By all means, I support people questioning the existence of whoever you want, including Buddha, Jesus, Kṛṣṇa, Muhammad etc -- but not through her; she's a joke, plain and simple.

But yeah, it's impossible to know if someone existed or not in the past; the present is not the past, and we live in vastly different worlds. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Well, are you able to bring Mormonism to mind? Are you familiar with its history? If not, I'll be glad to tell you what I know about it and why (forgive me, lurking Mormons) I feel it's a very good parallel to the Jesus situation. My opinion is that Smith told The Big Lie, and that's why he was a success. The Big Lie works.
Well, as the site's resident "lurking Mormon," let me just add that I know a great deal more about the history of Mormonism than you do. Should you ever decide to brush up on your "knowledge," I'd be happy to be of service. As for Joseph Smith's "Big Lie" and the success it brought him... how do you define success anyway? Getting tarred and feathered, receiving death threats for literally years on end and finally end up getting murdered by a mob of a couple of hundred men? I wouldn't wish that kind of success on anybody.

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

Well, as the site's resident "lurking Mormon," let me just add that I know a great deal more about the history of Mormonism than you do.

I would have been disappointed if you hadn't stopped by to swat me.:) For what it may be worth to you, I only use Mormonism as a parallel because it's nearby. And of course it's only my opinion that Smith told the Big Lie.

My point is that a Huge Claim is perhaps the best way to start a new religion, whether or not that claim is true. It's my best guess that Jesus was not historical but that someone like Mark decided to claim that he was. And so a Huge Claim started Christianity, just as a Huge Claim started Mormonism.

Should you ever decide to brush up on your "knowledge," I'd be happy to be of service.

I'm happy to hear about it anytime you'd like to begin the lecture. I've read Under the Banner of Heaven and various other material over the years. (I'm guessing Krakauer isn't invited to tea in LDS homes?)

As for Joseph Smith's "Big Lie" and the success it brought him... how do you define success anyway? Getting tarred and feathered, receiving death threats for literally years on end and finally end up getting murdered by a mob of a couple of hundred men? I wouldn't wish that kind of success on anybody.

I was speaking of the success of the religion, not of its founder. Prophets tend to end badly, though not always. Can't remember what happened to L. Ron, but I'm guessing he died in bed.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I would have been disappointed if you hadn't stopped by to swat me.:)
Well, in that case, I'm really happy I happened upon your post. ;)

For what it may be worth to you, I only use Mormonism as a parallel because it's nearby. And of course it's only my opinion that Smith told the Big Lie.
Of course. I understand.

My point is that a Huge Claim is perhaps the best way to start a new religion, whether or not that claim is true. It's my best guess that Jesus was not historical but that someone like Mark decided to claim that he was. And so a Huge Claim started Christianity, just as a Huge Claim started Mormonism.
Agreed. And in both cases, what supposedly happened either did or didn't. No other perspective is of any real relevance. With respect to Mormonism, our entire case rests upon the validity of Joseph Smith's "First Vision." People either believe it or they don't. There really isn't any middle ground. He was either what he claimed to be or he was a real con-man. I suppose you could say the same about Jesus Christ.

I'm happy to hear about it anytime you'd like to begin the lecture. I've read Under the Banner of Heaven and various other material over the years. (I'm guessing Krakauer isn't invited to tea in LDS homes?)
Well, let's just put it this way... He wanted to write a book that would sell. Sensationalism usually does, and this was no exception. The book wasn't exactly an accurate representation of Mormonism, but I'm sure he enjoyed the money he made off of it, and it almost certainly confirmed in a lot of people's minds that Mormons are a bunch of blood-thirsty religious fanatics.

I was speaking of the success of the religion, not of its founder. Prophets tend to end badly, though not always.
I see. Well, yeah... the religion can be said to have been somewhat of a success. At any rate, it has definitely appealed to a wide spectrum of people over the past nearly 200 years. (Same as mainstream Christianity, which has just been around longer.)

outhouse

Atheistically
don't use Acharya S for anything. She's peddling a load of old bollocks . :D

And how.

She has great trouble even in the myther forum, trying to promote the nonsense.

One of her minions tries to debate us and he is sort of a embarrassment due to the weakness of his arguements.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Well, in that case, I'm really happy I happened upon your post. ;)

Of course. I understand.

Agreed. And in both cases, what supposedly happened either did or didn't. No other perspective is of any real relevance. With respect to Mormonism, our entire case rests upon the validity of Joseph Smith's "First Vision." People either believe it or they don't. There really isn't any middle ground. He was either what he claimed to be or he was a real con-man. I suppose you could say the same about Jesus Christ.

Well, let's just put it this way... He wanted to write a book that would sell. Sensationalism usually does, and this was no exception. The book wasn't exactly an accurate representation of Mormonism, but I'm sure he enjoyed the money he made off of it, and it almost certainly confirmed in a lot of people's minds that Mormons are a bunch of blood-thirsty religious fanatics.

I see. Well, yeah... the religion can be said to have been somewhat of a success. At any rate, it has definitely appealed to a wide spectrum of people over the past nearly 200 years. (Same as mainstream Christianity, which has just been around longer.)

It's interesting how things grow. I remember reading once in the bible a verse were it said something along the lines of "if it is not true, then it will die out" which was in reference to Christianity, and look how long it's been around...but the same can apply to other religions...and the survival of Christianity has seem to be linked to it's ability (despite belief that it doesn't), to evolve. It has changed a lot, even the creeds are not the same among the denominations. It's very interesting to me. The appeal of religion in general is so strong, it definitely fills a void that humans have, and it seems that void is driven by a need for purpose.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you may consider me a scholar of the human heart
If you are not aware of your own theoretical framework (or worldview), how thoroughly cognition is linked to culture and language, and rely on faulty mental faculties to make arbitrary judgments based on your preconceptions, biases you may or may not be aware of, then no thanks.

I have a professional-level sense of what drives people
Professional-level. How do you determine this? And level with what profession?

I'm in a much superior position than the average biblical scholar

1) Over thousands of years, we find a vast array of different cultures and that thought is culture-specific (for example, some languages do not, like English, use speaker-relative positional terms such as left/right, and are better at orientating themselves simply because of the way that their language works).
2) While neither you nor the scholars you say are inferior were alive, they've read extensively what people of that time wrote, studied the architectural remains they left behind, the inscriptions, the art, and what there is we have to understand cultures in e.g., the first century.
3) Over the last several decades, as academic disciplines have become increasingly specialized, interdisciplinary studies have become the norm. So I have, for example, several volumes on biblical studies which have contributions from cognitive linguistics, anthropologists, cognitive psychologists, sociologists, alongside the typical fields. There are many more that I don't have. So for those whose specialty includes the historical Jesus, not only have they studied in depth cultures you cannot, but have also studied the work of those who (like you) have studied how people & social systems operate.

I can be extremely specific about the training and background of scholars, you can give me nothing other than "common sense" and a vague reference to the human psyche?

makes you think that people would NOT find an historical Jesus to be quite exciting?

I gave you some reasons when I asked you questions you didn't answer. When you answer some questions yourself that would help. Also, having read extensively what "the ancients" did find exciting, I'm not faced with the contradiction of an exciting story that both catches fire and yet takes 3 centuries to become legal (not to mention the records we have of the scorn so many "ancients" had for this story).

you may have spent a bit more time in declension argumentation than you might've

I am not a biblical scholar. I had 2 undergrad majors: one was ancient Greek & Latin and the other was psychology & sociology (joint major). I minored in cognitive science. From there I went into cognitive neuropsychology, the study of the mind both from a psychology/behavioral science perspective as well as a neuroscience perspective. But the projects I worked on often involved other labs, including a social neuroscience lab. So I studied how the human mind classifies and categorizes everything from function and shape to social roles and religious orientation, both in behavioral and fMRI studies (and of course my studying; the above was just the research component of grad work).

by virtue of investing their lives in him

I wasn't aware anybody received PhDs in historical Jesus studies. Perhaps you've ignored the fact that those who have produced scholarship on the historical Jesus have all produced scholarship on much, much, more.

academics tend to be poorly-equipped to understand the thought of average folk

Academics, like everyone else, are subject to cognitive errors we've studied for over 50 years.

the sort of folk who would flock to the idea of an historical godman

Have you heard of the Milgram experiment or the Stanford prison study? How about the study of modern cults, groupthink, modern messiahs from David Koresh to Haile Selassie? What do such cults and movements all have in common? A historical person at the origins.

You're asking me why a guy had an opinion about Jesus once upon a time?

Yes. You said this was such an exciting story, and I'm telling you of an anti-Christian philosopher who said it was old news. You claim we don't have evidence of people saying Jesus didn't exist (apart from your misunderstanding of the Greek and the Docetism context of 2 John).

It took 300 years because it was a new religion and these were primitive times.
Mark started something which caught fire
It was an exciting idea -- to claim that the godman Christ had actually lived on the earth just a few years earlier. I think that the Christ myth would have mostly died out except for someone's idea to claim that he had been historical.

So it was really exciting and caught fire, but also took 300 years before it was legal and people weren't killed for believing in it anymore. Also, the same people who were the majority were all happy to believe in borrowed deities and add to stories about an ancient unknowable past (safe from any scrutiny) and had been for hundreds and hundreds of years. Homer was likely composed around ~800 BCE. The events in the Iliad were supposed to have taken place some few hundred years earlier. Now, here we have the quintessential myth, placed in some distant past where heroes and gods roamed the earth in a way nobody was alive to attest to, and yet about 800 years after this epic was composed, Vergil found it important enough to use to link Roman history to Troy. No historical persons, no recent or verifiable claims, a literary piece that, unlike historiography, was set to verse, and people accepted it widely then as they did with the Iliad centuries earlier. Same with the introduction of Mithras around the end of the first century, the changed cult of Attis (possibly changed because of Christianity; see Bremmer's Greek Religion), same with the adoption and adaption by Romans of Greek deities and in addition local incorporation of foreign deities and the alterations to native practices.

All without any historically situated godman. Then Mark catches fire so fast that it only takes 300 years before people aren't being killed for believing his exciting story.

Don't let your modern-era biases make you think that it was just as easy back then to accept a new religion as it is now.

It was vastly easier because religion meant something quite different. There wasn't a word for religion as religion, politics, and culture were all the same thing. Caesar doesn't describe the religion of the Celts other than to name their gods and the problematic passage on druids; Herodotus, Plutarch, and other who discuss foreign lands and their "religions" do by naming which gods were worshipped or what practices (which were both civic, political, and religious) were prevalent.

try and put yourself back into the minds of those ancients.
How do you put yourself into the minds of those ancients? How many letters from father to son, husband to wife, of the average person in that time have you read? How many inscriptions? Epitaphs? What do you use to understand "those ancients"?

The Big Lie works

Here's the problem: Smith was a real person. Any parallel with Jesus would mean a historical Jesus, because we sure as hell didn't find Smith just writing an anonymous document that eventually became the Book of Mormon. We have a leader/figurehead of a movement. Which is how sects, cults, and movements work. In an oral world where even the literate distrusted texts, you claim a work that paled in comparison to the exciting cults and practices spread across the Roman empire started such excitement.

if you won't present any evidence for your opinion

I've told you about the nature of the gospels, the nature of orality, the ways in which your assumptions are wrong, and more, but as I can go on forever talking about the evidence and still be told "think like the ancients" without knowing what you are using as evidence other than vague references, I can't do much other than to ask questions (which you then ignore, or don't answer and say it's me preaching).

And you are helpless to force me into holding hard-and-fast historical opinions.

If you prefer to lie, fine.

Did Paul ever mention Jesus by name?
All the time.

Did Paul write about the earthly life of Jesus

The details I've written about elsewhere. But Paul speaks of an earthly Jesus who eats with the disciples and was descended from David kata sarka, and tells us of Jesus' prohibition of divorce

I think you should consider using source material

I have. Which is why I know what Docetism is and how meaningless your statement is.
I'm afraid that trumps anything you can present.

Does that include both the statements of those who held the view that Jesus never appeared in the flesh (but who certainly believed he appeared) as well as those like your quote who argue against them?

Even the Bible admits it.

Unless one is familiar with the views we know from multiple sources including now the Nag Hammadi library on the ways in which gnostics explained that Jesus only appeared to be human, or that he inhabited a human and the cry on the cross of being forsaken was the human calling to Jesus who had left the body, and other explanations which, like all Christologies, attempted to reconcile various views with what the texts said.

Last edited:

arcanum

All of them. That's my point. If they believe in the historical Jesus, they aren't really historians. All the real historians dismiss the historical Jesus.

Are you unfamiliar with the no-true-Scotsman argument?

I've never seen that. I'd be as shocked to see you treat a 'mythicist' respectfully as I'd be shocked to see Michael Moore speaking respectfully of Zimmerman.

If you call me intellectually dishonest, I'll call you a liar or insane. There is nothing intellectually dishonest in my approach to life.

Yet you have slimed me from the top of my scalp to the soles of my feet.

Why? Well, because I disagree with you about the historical Jesus. No other reason.

Well, it's true that I don't think much of many biblical scholars, but I hardly think that's a reason to receive raw scorn.

How do you feel about all the parapsychology scholars who insist they have proof that we can communicate with the dead?

It's a serious question. How do you feel about people who don't bow to the opinions of parapsychology scholars but rather tend to consider those scholars biased?
Your boastful comments have only served to expose your ignorance and arrogance.

arcanum

Oh God; please, please, please don't use Acharya S for anything. She's peddling a load of old bollocks to the point where I don't know if she's just genuienly ignorant, deliberately peddling misinformation, or a Poe.

(For a basic idea, Kṛṣṇa was never crucified, but died from an arrow when he was meditating, Kṛṣṇa was not born of a virgin (Devakī had given birth to 7 children prior, all were killed), and so on; Buddha was not crucified but died from eating stale pork/mushrooms (depending on tradition at 80 years old.)

By all means, I support people questioning the existence of whoever you want, including Buddha, Jesus, Kṛṣṇa, Muhammad etc -- but not through her; she's a joke, plain and simple.

But yeah, it's impossible to know if someone existed or not in the past; the present is not the past, and we live in vastly different worlds. :D
And the sad thing is many impressionable people watched Zeitgeist, who's claims about Jesus and Christianity are based on the work of Acharya S, and took those incredibly broad claims as historic truth. Richard Price has been brought up in this discussion, and something should be mentioned regarding him. When she first published her book The Christ Conspiracy he lambasted it, he tore it apart. Well shortly after his review was posted she contacted him and told him how upset his review made her. So he removed it from his website claiming that after thinking about it he had to reexamine his review. How's that for intellectual honesty on Price's part? So basically she befriended him and convinced him his review was hurtful to her and her book sales. She probably said something along the lines of us Christ mythers have to stick together( I'm speculating of course but I wouldn't doubt it). I kind of lost respect for Price after that. Aside from that listening his his interviews, one gets the impression of someone who's put the NT and related historic information through the paper shredder of his intellect and it comes out in a million pieces on the other side, all combined in a huge pile. For Price nothing is as it's written, when a name is is mentioned it is referring to someone else or something else. No historic Jesus, Jesus is a composite character or based on Apollonius of Tyana or someone else, no historic Paul, Paul could be a cipher for Simon Magus or someone else ect. He will make you dizzy with all his this could have been that's.

Last edited:

arcanum

Regarding the Historic Jesus, Having just finished James Tabor's books, I find his idea's on this subject the most plausible. Especially Paul and Jesus that book was one of the best and informative books on the New Testament and early Christianity I've ever read. He shows quite convincingly that there was a historic Jesus and that early Jesus movement was very Jewish in character, his brother James taking over the movement after the death of Jesus. Paul basically
makes inroads in the movement but basically hijacks it and makes his own religion out of it. The book of Acts and Paul's own writing reflect that their was tension between the disciples and Paul. Paul claims to basically have had a superior revelation to the earthly disciples of Jesus, he even denigrates them in one of his letters. They basically split ways when he started claiming the law was no longer necessary, that the new Torah of Christ has superseded it. Well Paul's version won out and the Jewish Jesus movement faded away and was swallowed up by the Pauline movement. Most of the books of the New Testament were written with a Pauline slant, with a few exceptions like James and Jude. Paul introduced many things that were not part of the the early Jesus movement, here is were myth crept in. I suggest reading Paul and Jesus, a book well worth reading for those interested in this topic.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Regarding the Historic Jesus, Having just finished James Tabor's books, I find his idea's on this subject the most plausible. Especially Paul and Jesus that book was one of the best and informative books on the New Testament and early Christianity I've ever read. He shows quite convincingly that there was a historic Jesus and that early Jesus movement was very Jewish in character, his brother James taking over the movement after the death of Jesus. Paul basically
makes inroads in the movement but basically hijacks it and makes his own religion out of it. The book of Acts and Paul's own writing reflect that their was tension between the disciples and Paul. Paul claims to basically have had a superior revelation to the earthly disciples of Jesus, he even denigrates them in one of his letters. They basically split ways when he started claiming the law was no longer necessary, that the new Torah of Christ has superseded it. Well Paul's version won out and the Jewish Jesus movement faded away and was swallowed up by the Pauline movement. Most of the books of the New Testament were written with a Pauline slant, with a few exceptions like James and Jude. Paul introduced many things that were not part of the the early Jesus movement, here is were myth crept in. I suggest reading Paul and Jesus, a book well worth reading for those interested in this topic.

I've read some who say that James was a rebuttal to the letters of Paul. Though which ones is up in the air. Though 13 books are accredit to Paul in the NT (might be off), only 7 are sure to have been written by him and of course there is always the worry of interloping.

outhouse

Atheistically
. Well Paul's version won out and the Jewish Jesus movement faded away and was swallowed up by the Pauline movement.

Well if Tabor claims this, this would be to his error.

It was never Pauls version. The Hellenistic movement was going to happen with or without Paul.

Paul was a small part of the Hellenistic movement, and he tells us he was not the only teacher. He only set up a few houses, not churches, and his letters reflect issues of his teachings at these different "pater familias"

The Traditional Jewish movement failed with Jesus death, in my opinion. Im not convinced the Jerusalem sect was ever part of the original movement from Galilee. I believe it was Hellenistic sect that followed Jewish law more then the Hellenist in the Diaspora.

nash8

I guess that depends on how one looks at it. For a discussion forum, sure. But one could (and many have) written entire volumes on just one symbol. In fact, there's an entire field of study (semiotics) devoted just to symbols. Defining myth by itself has proven extremely difficult for anthropologists, historians, and others in the humanities or social sciences. Same with symbols. Equating the two in some fashion is a bit like delving into consciousness and the quantum physics of ions and microtubules of neurons at the same time.

We are on a discussion forum, right? :D I think half of the problems you get from people is that they are not smart enough to understand the points you are making with your evidence. I get lost in them sometimes, and I understand the point you are trying to make, for the most part. Your so smart that us regular folks have a hard time understanding you, no sarcasm intended.

As for the myth/symbol thing, for me, trying to define a myth or a symbol in one composite view is near impossible as the meanings of both terms almost imply multiple meanings. I am just stating that it is my opinion, that on atleast some level, all myths have a basis in historical reality. I'm sure that some don't, but is my opinion that most do. No scholarly evidence, just my opinion based on my own logical processes as exmplified by my stellar example lol.

Rather than do either (try to understand myths in terms of symbols or vice versa) I'd recommend looking at cognitive semantics, metaphor and cognition, and similar topics. They're much more well-defined and they deal far less with trying to describe something like myth through something that is essentially a representation of meaning that is subjective and cultural (or more).

Looking at those other topics (which I have in various degrees) defeats the point of me trying to explain myth as I see it through my own logical processes.

The archetype approach was one of two central approaches I mentioned. Bachofen, Frazer, etc., all predate psychoanalysis and attempted to do something like you are.

Would I be incorrect if I said that your knowledge of mythologies comes mostly from mythology collections?

Can you post some links to Bachofen and/or Frazer's research. I'd be interested in taking a look at what they had to say. Cause the archetype approach is definitely not what I was trying argue, and from reading your posts I concluded that Bachofen and Frazer were doing similar things.

Honestly my knowledge of mythology comes from my own brain. I mean I love mythology in general, and have read a lot of myths, most a long time ago, and others just overviews of the general story rather than the myth itself (the story of Orion has been one recently that I've looked into alot), but I am also not totally unfamiliar with different analysis of the meanings of myths in general, as well as the meaning of specific myths, but I could not cite specific examples or anything like that. I more or less, remember reading something somewhere and accept it as a possibility from a logical standpoint, I don't neccesarily believe that's how it is or isn't, just that the premise is logical to me. I know it's not scientific, but its just how I dooze it.

Langue et parole, Bedeutung und Ausdruck, signs and meaning, they are were all part of what became cognitive science.

I've argued a point that, if one holds your assumptions, supports your view.

Send me some links to those guys too.

Yes, but my assumption is that if it is plausible for me to make up a "myth" of the cold war symbollically representing a battle between an eagle and a bear, then it is plausible/possible for another human to do the same thing at a different period in time with a different historical event.

By the way you never answered my question to who you think the atomic man and the man of steel were in my little myth?

Most Christian converts did not have any regulations or restrictions at all from any religion. Why did they join?

I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing the point that if Christianity had strict guidelines and processes, that it would not have amassed such a large following over the years. This is evidenced by your own admission of not adhering, for any extended period of time, to a strict martial arts regimine. As for what made people join Christianity, it differs for different periods of time for me, but in the beginning I would argue that the reasons where similar to why Ghandi amassed such a large following in India, and I believed he also performed what uneducated people might have considered "miracles", but wouldn't be considered a "miracle" by todays standards.

I just quoted that because someone posted "why does this only happen to Jesus" lol. I almost made the point of saying that one of the sources was from everyones favorite person Acharya S. I was just demonstrating that other peoples "historicalness" (I make up a new word like erurday lol) is questioned, and it's not just Jesus.

Interesting that you say this. One of groups that I linked to in another thread about the possibility of Jesus being raised as an Essene, cited almost exactly this same argument. Basically they claimed that Paul saw that Christianity was not going to be able to become a "mainstream" religion, and altered the religion so that it was more accessible to different people. Specifically they cited eating practices, prayer and meditation requirements, and some other guidelines that were taken away from Jesus' true teachings. They also used the reference to Moses having to come down with a new set of commandments because the ones he first proposed outraged the masses. I'll definitely have to check this guy out.

Tabor takes a fringe position, its my opinion there are better scholarships to follow.

Oh you must not have heard, the fringe is the word lol. Nothing exciting ever happens in the mainstream, if it weren't for people on the fringe, the earth would still be flat and revolving around the sun.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I get lost in them sometimes

Me too. And then when I go back to try to read it, I just want to punch the ************ who wrote it for spouting nonsense.

Your so smart that us regular folks have a hard time understanding you, no sarcasm intended.

I know things because I am interested in a lot of things and because I don't spend money on much other than stuff for training and academic material (the former lasts a while and when one monograph costs $300, it makes training knives/guns, sparring gear, and first aid supplies seem cheap). And I have a decent memory. It has nothing to do with being intelligent, just obsessive. But thank you.

No scholarly evidence, just my opinion based on my own logical processes as exmplified by my stellar example lol.

In the early 20th century, a physicist named Millikan was among many who were trying to understand the atom and specifically the electron. The problem was that electrons are kind of small, and back in 1911 it was pretty difficult to measure them. And Millikan, after a lot of work, won the Nobel prize for his painstaking measurements of the of the electron. As it turns out, his lab notes reveal that every time he got a result that didn't seem right, he jotted down "not electron" and proceeded as if the measurement didn't matter. And he was correct, because his intuition and logical processes were better guides than his equipment.

Can you post some links to Bachofen and/or Frazer's research
I don't know if Bachofen was ever translated, but Frazer's work (The Golden Bough) is freely downloadable from Google books I believe. It's also better, but then again it is several volumes and very outdated. There are probably better works you might enjoy that use a similar perspective. I'll have to think about this one.

By the way you never answered my question to who you think the atomic man and the man of steel were in my little myth?

Honestly the first thing I though of was Superman. He was the man of steel.

nash8

Me too. And then when I go back to try to read it, I just want to punch the ************ who wrote it for spouting nonsense.

Are you reffering to yourself, or the person who is arguing against you? Either way I think your being a lil to harsh lol.

[/quote] I know things because I am interested in a lot of things and because I don't spend money on much other than stuff for training and academic material (the former lasts a while and when one monograph costs $300, it makes training knives/guns, sparring gear, and first aid supplies seem cheap). And I have a decent memory. It has nothing to do with being intelligent, just obsessive. But thank you. [/quote]

A lot of people are obsessed about things, but that does not make them intelligent. Intelligence for me means two things.

1. The ability to store and recall information
2. Even more importantly, the ability to logically connect this how information relates to other information.

I don't consider Savants "intelligent" according to my view. They only fit one of the premises, the ability to store and recall information, although it is quite impressive to say the least. But a savant would not be able to create a connection from one type of information to another type of information.

You are able to do both, the obsession probably helps in the first aspect, but does nothing to affect the second part.

[/quote] In the early 20th century, a physicist named Millikan was among many who were trying to understand the atom and specifically the electron. The problem was that electrons are kind of small, and back in 1911 it was pretty difficult to measure them. And Millikan, after a lot of work, won the Nobel prize for his painstaking measurements of the of the electron. As it turns out, his lab notes reveal that every time he got a result that didn't seem right, he jotted down "not electron" and proceeded as if the measurement didn't matter. And he was correct, because his intuition and logical processes were better guides than his equipment. [/quote]

This is the basis for all of my views, I must be a genius. If only I could convince a neuroscientist of some sort to investigate my outrageous, intuitive claims because I'm to lazy and unmotivated to do so myself, I could win a nobel prize ;).

[/quote] I don't know if Bachofen was ever translated, but Frazer's work (The Golden Bough) is freely downloadable from Google books I believe. It's also better, but then again it is several volumes and very outdated. There are probably better works you might enjoy that use a similar perspective. I'll have to think about this one. [/quote]

I looked at the wiki on The Golden Bough. From my general overview, it's definitely not the point that I'm trying to argue. The overview of the thesis of the book says that Frazer was trying to "define shared elements of religious belief to scientific thought". This implies, to me atleast, that he was trying to argue that there were general themes within all ancient cultures that represented actual events and people, and how these themes' explanations progressed from a magical context, to a religious context, to a scientific context.

My argument differs in that there is no generic theme. The symbols within the myth were culture specific and would not be able to be related to other cultures myths in a generic fashion. My argument also does not try to define religious/magical practices with scientific representations. It tries to define one apsect, of a specific symbol, within a specific myth, within a specific culture, to an actual historical figure and/or an actual geographic location.

I believe this can be accomplished by looking at language patterns of specific cultures, specifically repetition of similar words. Geographical locations of the culture being studied, emphasis on important "occupations" within that culture, and many other ways that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.

But inherently a symbol or myth can, and usually does, have many meanings. I'm not trying to generalize myth or symbology by stating that my view is the only representation for the myth or symbol, I am simply stating my opinion that this is one possible aspect that the myth or symbol represents.

[/quote]Honestly the first thing I though of was Superman. He was the man of steel.[/quote]

Logical deduction, but think about it in the context of the cold war, and it's preceding history. I think the atomic man would be easier to deduce than the man of steel would be in this context.