• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

outhouse

Atheistically
None of whom you respect enough to take the time to actually read one of their books, and, as a result, you are legitimately deemed to be far less credible than the sources you quote-mine.

I agree, I am less credible then a scholar, and you fit that bill as well.

I never claimed to be a scholar.

I respect them all, and not choosing to read their books front to back does not indicate disrespect. I have read much of their work.

Quit judging people, you don't sit on that high of a perch as you think you do.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Multiple reasons
Because on the sermon on the mount, that many people could not just drop work and run off to hear one of many teachers.

How many people does the Bible say were at the sermon on the mount?

Another aspect would be large groups and a teacher would be viewed as possible military leader or rebellious individual.

I would agree, but if the teacher was teaching against the Jewish heirarchy, and not against Rome, would Roman leaders look at it in the same light?

Another aspect, you cant be heard outside and I highly doubt a teacher would be yelling at the top of his lungs.

Depends on what you consider a large crowd. I have seen people speak outside, and their was at least a couple of hundred people there. I don't know if all of them could hear clearly, but the crowd was not significantly diminished by the end of the lecture, so I would assume they could hear well enough. I don't see why someone would listen to someone when they couldn't actually hear them.

Jesus while alive was a nobody, there were literally hundreds of teachers jusst like him doing the same thing just to survive. Jesus taught and healed so he could get at the dinner table for scraps to survive, in my opinion.

I would agree with the teaching and healing to support himself, among other things in my opinion, but if there were hundreds of teachers just like him doing the same thing than why did he get chosen to become, arguably, the most influential person in modern human history?

Using cultural anthropology we can rebuild many aspects of Galilean life. The bible doesn't jive with reality of Galileans, because the bible was written by Hellenist who knew nothing of the real life he lived. They wrote decades later and filled in what they needed for theological reasons, they were not trying to recreate history of Galilee. They used allegory and metaphors and mythology, they importance lied, by the messages and morals they taught.

I agree with the aspects of Galilean life being generally rough. But what exactly does the Bible say about Galilean life, or imply for that matter? And how does this differ with what the Bible implies? And why would hellenist write these extravegant stories about a man whom they knew, literally nothing about? Just for the morals? It seems to me that the morals Jesus' spoke of existed prior to him speaking of them. Why choose the story of this particular teacher to portray preexisting moral codes and ideas?

We see in may places where they used fiction, and mythology by scholars reconstruction.

Again these people were not there, they were writing almost 40 years after the fact at the earliest for the gospels. They had no direct knowledge of the events and relied on different oral traditions that had grown in mythology for decades.

These authors were far removed from any actual event.

Totally agree, it is almost plainly obvious that fiction and mythology are employed in the Bible.

I would agree that the writers were fairly far removed from the event. But I think you slight them in their ability to deduce fact from fiction. Considering the fact that they were obviously decently educated by the fact that they knew how to write, do you think that they did not have some form of historical analysis in order to seperate actual events, as opposed to non-actual events, discluding the reality of actions that were realistically performed?

How accurately could you portray events portrayed 40 years ago? Granted, written accounts were surely not as available then as they are now, which lends itself to less accurate tradition. But at the same time oral tradition during those times was assuredly more of an artform/science than it is today. Of course literary devices would most likely be employed to make the "story" more listenable, but would someone who is educated not be able to decipher the difference between the two?

These authors knew nothing of the events described in vivid detail. The gospels themselves are all but silent on the real disciples except for Jesus inner circle. A traveling teacher could not have large crowds following him or he would end up like John the Baptist.

I would agree, but again I ask, what is a large following? And would it matter not what he was teaching?

Someone, who knows what name he really was may have helped temple authorities track him down, we don't know. the thirty pieces of silver is only symbolic because that was the price paid for a slave from the OT.

I would agree.

You have to remember these people were factually trying to distance themselves from Judaism, making the Jews look like the villains. instead of telling the truth about how severe Roman oppression was, because they didn't want to be persecuted like the Jews.

Who, the hellenists who wrote the gospels, or the sect of Jesus' and his followers? And it seems to me that Roman oppression wasn't nearly as bad for the Jews as it was for other conquered peoples. It least according to Roman standards.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow, this is as closed minded as it can possibly get, there's nothing like knowing everything there is to know .
When did I claim any such thing? The fact that you have almost no familiarity at all with this subject is not an excuse to lie or misrepresent. If you think that this:
Absolutely. It did so in many ways and through many people. However, it stopped doing so about a century ago.
is close minded, then you could explain.

However, as you are either incapable of research or unwilling to do it because you might discover your dogma is based on faith alone, you won't do that. You'll do what you always do. Either make a statement which you end up unable to defend, or use strawman argments. You cite nothing or almost nothing. You can't read most of the languages required to read the primary sources. You haven't read most of them even in translation. Your view is based on the internet. You have so little familiarity with the field that even Ehrman and other sensationalist works are apparently too much or you.

So congratulations. You're faith in your theory is religious. You've matched those you wish to counter.

steeltoes

When did I claim any such thing? The fact that you have almost no familiarity at all with this subject is not an excuse to lie or misrepresent. If you think that this:

is close minded, then you could explain.

However, as you are either incapable of research or unwilling to do it because you might discover your dogma is based on faith alone, you won't do that. You'll do what you always do. Either make a statement which you end up unable to defend, or use strawman argments. You cite nothing or almost nothing. You can't read most of the languages required to read the primary sources. You haven't read most of them even in translation. Your view is based on the internet. You have so little familiarity with the field that even Ehrman and other sensationalist works are apparently too much or you.

So congratulations. You're faith in your theory is religious. You've matched those you wish to counter.

It appears that you have personal issues that you need to take care of.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It appears that you have personal issues that you need to take care of.
More than a few. However, the greatest logician of all time starved to death. One of the greatest mathematicians that could have been died in a dual when he was hardly an adult. The basis for a slew of relative state QM interpretations are based on the work of one man who was so distraught by how his theory ended up he abandoned academia. Newton spent more time on biblical studies than on anything we might call science.

All these are far, far beyond me, yet could still argue the most valid arguments ever. You have neither their genius, their knowledge, nor any expertise or even basic familiarity here. You've started with your biases, used these to interpret any and all arguments that challenge you, and then determine that you are correct because you are neither familiar with the subject nor basic rational analysis/logic.

But you are capable of worthless, empty, and ill-founded posts in which you spout nonsense about things you know nothing of.

If you prefer to remain at the highest level of ignorance on this issue as possible, you are doing a very good job.

outhouse

Atheistically
How many people does the Bible say were at the sermon on the mount?

It states 5000. in one book

I would agree, but if the teacher was teaching against the Jewish heirarchy, and not against Rome, would Roman leaders look at it in the same light?

Yes, but Antipas would have beheaded him if he drew large crowds like JtB

Depends on what you consider a large crowd. I have seen people speak outside, and their was at least a couple of hundred people there. I don't know if all of them could hear clearly, but the crowd was not significantly diminished by the end of the lecture, so I would assume they could hear well enough. I don't see why someone would listen to someone when they couldn't actually hear them.

The large crowd almost an impossibility.

What doesnt make any sense is that these parables were not ment to be read one after another as written. They loose all meaning.

These parables were ment to be told one at a time to let them sink in. These have meaning that one has to think about to understand.

Try reading them as writen and see ho wmany you can even understand that way.

I would agree with the teaching and healing to support himself, among other things in my opinion, but if there were hundreds of teachers just like him doing the same thing than why did he get chosen to become, arguably, the most influential person in modern human history?

Bceause he sacrificed himself at the temple in front of hundreds of thousands of people for their benefit.

None of the other teachers were willing to loose their life for the common hard working man.

We were also at a time when the division between Hellenistic Judaism and traditional Judaism if one can even call it that, were increasing.

Hellenistic Judaism used this man as their messiah after death, Jesus was like the match that lit the flame.

I agree with the aspects of Galilean life being generally rough. But what exactly does the Bible say about Galilean life, or imply for that matter?

Not much

And why would hellenist write these extravegant stories about a man whom they knew, literally nothing about? Just for the morals? It seems to me that the morals Jesus' spoke of existed prior to him speaking of them. Why choose the story of this particular teacher to portray preexisting moral codes and ideas?

This was a time in Judaism when it was hard to describe, they had for hundreds of years had opened it up to Hellenism. But there was a lot of heat generated over this. There were large socioeconomic divides between the Hellenist who played ball with the Romans working hand in hand, and traditional poor oppressed Jews.

The morals and teachings were filed in later and written towards a Roman gentile audience with jewish laws explained clearly for non Jews.

For hundreds of years you had many Hellenist who were partial converts to Judaism, Gate Proselytes, God-Fearers, and general Proselytes who would not fully convert to Judaism not wanting to follow all their laws BUT wanting to follow the one monotheistic god.

For hundreds of years these groups of proselytes grew to such large amounts they finally broke free, and Jesus was the catylist.

I would agree that the writers were fairly far removed from the event. But I think you slight them in their ability to deduce fact from fiction.

Im saying they added it, so the theology would meet their political needs as well as theological.

Considering the fact that they were obviously decently educated by the fact that they knew how to write, do you think that they did not have some form of historical analysis in order to seperate actual events, as opposed to non-actual events, discluding the reality of actions that were realistically performed?

Preserving Jesus Jewish life was not on their agenda at all.

These people were writing and reflecting about events and needs from 70 CE when the temple had fell, and they wanted to not be viewed as a sect of Jews.

How accurately could you portray events portrayed 40 years ago? Granted, written accounts were surely not as available then as they are now, which lends itself to less accurate tradition. But at the same time oral tradition during those times was assuredly more of an artform/science than it is today.

Correct

Of course literary devices would most likely be employed to make the "story" more listenable, but would someone who is educated not be able to decipher the difference between the two?

Each gospel was a compilation of pre existing literature and oral traditions, and each author had artistic freedom to parallel who they wanted that met each and their personal needs.

There was no need to decipher between the two, this wasnt about telling Jewish history, it was about seperating itself from Jewish history and identity.

I would agree, but again I ask, what is a large following? And would it matter not what he was teaching?

For him in rural Galilee going from village to village, 20-60 people woul d have been the reality, that and 3-4 disciples who would set him up prior to his arrival, telling the people a great teacher was coming.

Remember, these peoples goal was to eat to survive. they wanted to be invited to the dinner table to teach and eat. They did not charge to heal people they lived off food scraps from the poor who would share what little they had. If Jesus traveled with large groups he would have starved and looked like a threat running around with 12 dudes.

Who, the hellenists who wrote the gospels, or the sect of Jesus' and his followers? And it seems to me that Roman oppression wasn't nearly as bad for the Jews as it was for other conquered peoples. It least according to Roman standards

Jews had it very bad. But the movement did not succeed there. It grew in the Diaspora and the gospels originated from the Hellenist in the Diaspora.

These were Proselytes and Gentiles and Roman citizens.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
***Mod post***

Some posts in this thread have been deleted due to their discussion of members on another forum, as well as the forum itself. Please stay within the thread topic and avoid discussing issues relating to other forums, and especially, any possible criticism of said forums.

steeltoes

More than a few. However, the greatest logician of all time starved to death. One of the greatest mathematicians that could have been died in a dual when he was hardly an adult. The basis for a slew of relative state QM interpretations are based on the work of one man who was so distraught by how his theory ended up he abandoned academia. Newton spent more time on biblical studies than on anything we might call science.

All these are far, far beyond me, yet could still argue the most valid arguments ever. You have neither their genius, their knowledge, nor any expertise or even basic familiarity here. You've started with your biases, used these to interpret any and all arguments that challenge you, and then determine that you are correct because you are neither familiar with the subject nor basic rational analysis/logic.

But you are capable of worthless, empty, and ill-founded posts in which you spout nonsense about things you know nothing of.

If you prefer to remain at the highest level of ignorance on this issue as possible, you are doing a very good job.

You have issues, serious problems coping. I haven't opposed any of the scholars I have read, I just don't agree with what I have read on the internet, specifically your tripe, it's rubbish.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have issues, serious problems coping.

"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space were it not that I had bad dreams"

I haven't opposed any of the scholars I have read
That's because you haven't read any scholarship. You have opposed scholars you haven't read.

I just don't agree with what I have read on the internet, specifically your tripe, it's rubbish.

One wonders what your basis for comparison is.

payak

He existed as he was spoken of by serious historians of the time.

However In my opinion he was not The son of GOD, just an amazing man.

vtunie

Suetonius, Tacitus, and Josephus are not really enough in themselves as sources; Pliny is too late; the evangelists are too inconsistent; Paul admits to being twisted into docetism far too readily.

Acharya, Freke, Drews, and Doherty among others present plausible arguments JC was a myth: for a while I too was convinced.

But a very simple and non-technical book by De Wesselow about the Shroud of Turin (The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Birth of Christianity) was enough to convince me JC did exist. Don't worry, by the way: there is nothing supernatural or contrary to the most die-hard atheism there. It's orthodox Christianity that takes a beating, at least in so far as the resurrection is concerned.

But you know what? JC's physical existence is ultimately a secondary matter. The words attributed to him, or to Paul, are in the end more important.

Last edited:

nash8

Suetonius, Tacitus, and Josephus are not really enough in themselves as sources; Pliny is too late; the evangelists are too inconsistent; Paul admits to being twisted into docetism far too readily.

Acharya, Freke, Drews, and Doherty among others present plausible arguments JC was a myth: for a while I too was convinced.

But a very simple and non-technical book by De Wesselow about the Shroud of Turin (The Sign: The Shroud of Turin and the Birth of Christianity) was enough to convince me JC did exist. Don't worry, by the way: there is nothing supernatural or contrary to the most die-hard atheism there. It's orthodox Christianity that takes a beating, at least in so far as the resurrection is concerned.

But you know what? JC's physical existence is ultimately a secondary matter. The words attributed to him, or to Paul, are in the end more important.

What exactly in a book about the shroud of turin convinced you Jesus existed?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

You know the Shroud of Turin is a proven fraud, right?
But carbon tests carried out in Oxford in 1988 firmly dated the material to 1260-1390.

Read more: The Turin Shroud is a fake: Eminent historian claims it was one of 40 similar cloths which originated 1,300 years AFTER the crucifixion | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

vtunie

The Shroud of Turin is a fraud according to exactly one piece of evidence: three C-14 dates done according to a technique since criticized strongly, and under a testing protocol whose integrity has been questioned. There are many other bits of physical evidence that place it some time in the first century, or certainly prior, centuries prior, to the 1260-1390 date "established" by the C14 tests.

The above, by the way, is a a statement of fact, not my conclusions.

What convinced me, in the book I cited, that JC was not a myth? Certainly not the balance of evidence on the shroud, which I knew already. Rather, the way Wesselow interprets a "resurrection" (no, not in any supernatural sense) and ties it to the image on the shroud -- which can only be, so far as I am concerned, an imprint of JC after he's been killed on the cross. Read it and make up your own mind.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

vtunie said:
There are many other bits of physical evidence that place it some time in the first century, or certainly prior, centuries prior, to the 1260-1390 date "established" by the C14 tests.

What evidence?

Why must the imprint be an imprint of Jesus?

Last edited:

nash8

The Shroud of Turin is a fraud according to exactly one piece of evidence: three C-14 dates done according to a technique since criticized strongly, and under a testing protocol whose integrity has been questioned. There are many other bits of physical evidence that place it some time in the first century, or certainly prior, centuries prior, to the 1260-1390 date "established" by the C14 tests.

The above, by the way, is a a statement of fact, not my conclusions.

What convinced me, in the book I cited, that JC was not a myth? Certainly not the balance of evidence on the shroud, which I knew already. Rather, the way Wesselow interprets a "resurrection" (no, not in any supernatural sense) and ties it to the image on the shroud -- which can only be, so far as I am concerned, an imprint of JC after he's been killed on the cross. Read it and make up your own mind.

Honestly, I'd rather you just tell me how Wesselow interprets a "resurrection" and ties it to the image of the shroud if you would be so obliged. And also why this interpretation and connection made you change camps from MJ to HJ.