• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Myth

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
This would explain a lot. Jesus could have had a significant amount of followers. Any evidence could have been erased so Jesus would not become a martyr in his death and folklore was spun about him a century later
As in, Jesus is killed as a troublemaker, given damnatio memoriae, and his followers are persecuted as rebels until they begin to grow too numerous and powerful to ignore? Or something? :D

Monotheist 101

I dont think Jesus was myth..although I agree with the fact that he might have been given mythical powers over time..like divinity..

outhouse

Atheistically
Confirmation bias in its ugliest form, that's all it is, best to ignore it.

I think you both are taking this out of context a hair.

The people who follow HJ are for the most part the majority of educated people.

It is not the case for mythicist in general. Out of all the mythicist there are but a handful that are scholars and fully trained, and their work so far has been easily refuted.

It doesn't mean you or "amb" are not educated on the subject, it is just a general term that sadly applies.

I would love for some information to come out that would prove a MJ, then I would know and understand more of this time period in detail. But at this time. It doesn't look like that could ever happen.

I personally follow K>I>S>S nothing explains the evidence as easy and accurately as a martyred man at Passover.

outhouse

Atheistically
I dont think Jesus was myth..although I agree with the fact that he might have been given mythical powers over time..like divinity..

Your confused my friend.

In this time, divinity was not a mythical power. It was a title given to the living Emperors, as was "the son of god"

The unknown authors of the bible were competing with the living Emperors divinity when building Jesus divinity.

It was normal for Hellenistic people of this period to build divinity in their leaders

steeltoes

I think you both are taking this out of context a hair.

The people who follow HJ are for the most part the majority of educated people.

It is not the case for mythicist in general. Out of all the mythicist there are but a handful that are scholars and fully trained, and their work so far has been easily refuted.

It doesn't mean you or "amb" are not educated on the subject, it is just a general term that sadly applies.

I would love for some information to come out that would prove a MJ, then I would know and understand more of this time period in detail. But at this time. It doesn't look like that could ever happen.

I personally follow K>I>S>S nothing explains the evidence as easy and accurately as a martyred man at Passover.

Let me guess, you view your own opinions as fair and balanced. Where have we heard that before?

outhouse

Atheistically
Let me guess, you view your own opinions as fair and balanced. Where have we heard that before?

Oh hell no.

Im biased and have just that, a personal opinion.

I just started in the MJ camp and the more I learned the more I started to understand what I believe as the start of the movement and why.

There was no reason for Hellenist to make a peasant Jew from Galilee their hero, other then to explain the martyred man at Passover.

steeltoes

Oh hell no.

Im biased and have just that, a personal opinion.

I just started in the MJ camp and the more I learned the more I started to understand what I believe as the start of the movement and why.

There was no reason for Hellenist to make a peasant Jew from Galilee their hero, other then to explain the martyred man at Passover.

As long as you know what you are talking about, that's all that matters.

AmbiguousGuy

Absolute nonsense. All the historicist scholars have been easily refuted. None of the mythicist scholars have ever been refuted.

Please try to get your facts straight.

I have proven the mythical Jesus over and over and over again.

But guess what? The rigid, ignorant, biased HJ crowd simply waves away my proof and continues to assert that no one can prove the mythical Jesus.

What a mixed up world. Truly, there are none so blind as those who will not see!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Absolute nonsense. All the historicist scholars have been easily refuted. None of the mythicist scholars have ever been refuted.

Please try to get your facts straight.
Hopefully you're not including Acharya S in there. :p

But guess what? The rigid, ignorant, biased HJ crowd simply waves away my proof and continues to assert that no one can prove the mythical Jesus.
Maybe I've missed it, but where is this 'proof' of the mythical Jesus 'over and over again'?

steeltoes

Maybe I've missed it, but where is this 'proof' of the mythical Jesus 'over and over again'?

That was a merely a refute of outhouses (non) argument accomplished by throwing outhouses argument right back at him. What's good for the goose...

AmbiguousGuy

That was a merely a refute of outhouses (non) argument accomplished by throwing outhouses argument right back at him. What's good for the goose...

A lot of people miss my ReflectaVision Technique. It's particularly curious when I react to a poster's arrogance with my own faux arrogance, only to have the original poster complain that I'm being arrogant.

It reminds me of a guy walking down the sidewalk, seeing his reflection in a store window and disliking the behavior of that reflection so much that he stands there and lectures the guy in the window about correct behavior.:)

Anyway, I am a mighty debater who has proven all my positions. Everyone else here is full of twaddle -- except insofar as they agree with me, I mean.

AmbiguousGuy

I don't even know what/who that is. I've heard you guys mentioning it but have been too lazy to investigage.

All you need to do is review my messages on the subject. The Truth is there!

outhouse

Atheistically

Please try to get your facts straight.!

The facts are as such. 99.999% of real scholars follow a HJ.

The scholarships in place for a HJ have never been refuted, only their methodology attacked by people who don't understand the facts at hand.

Mythicist attack scholarships because they do not have a decent replacement theory to date, nor is there any kind of consensus in the MJ very very small camp of untrained people.

You have only proven they use mythology, which the HJ scholarships freely admit.

If you could even make a decent case, id listen. You have not in any forum.

What a mixed up world. Truly, there are none so blind as those who will not see

What HJ scholarships have you really studied? Ehrman? Crossan? Reed? Sanders? Meier? Moss? Meyers?

Following Carrier or Price is only a very very very small piece of the puzzle. If you do.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
As in, Jesus is killed as a troublemaker, given damnatio memoriae, and his followers are persecuted as rebels until they begin to grow too numerous and powerful to ignore? Or something? :D

Something along those lines. I do not think Jesus was an important figure but he may have been killed for some petty reason not fit to be known at the time.
He was made to be a martyr much later apparently

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Your confused my friend.

In this time, divinity was not a mythical power. It was a title given to the living Emperors, as was "the son of god"

The unknown authors of the bible were competing with the living Emperors divinity when building Jesus divinity.

It was normal for Hellenistic people of this period to build divinity in their leaders

:yes: True indeed. Much like Egyptians, whoever holds absolute power is God. This is an old tactic and with Jesus apparently being the "King of the Jews" this would have been viewed as an act of aggression or lunacy at that time.

I am not familiar with divinity being used in Roman era though. I am not sure of how abundant it was. Greek and Roman society are entirely different of course despite similarities.

outhouse

Atheistically

No matter how many times I bring up a martyred man at Passover, and writers putting pen to papyrus within a few decades afterwards describing such.

It never gets refuted.

Why would Paul write about a man he firmly believes was alive and died for your sins?

Why doesn't any early historian refute the alive Jesus?

Why does for the most part, the divinity of Jesus parallel the Emperors divinity being called a "son of god" "speaking in front of large crowds" "the star" at birth mirroring the Emperors star on his coins first before Jesus existed? Even the last meal parallels the Emperors celebrated feast.

Why would they write about a man and event within a lifetime of it happening when it could be easily refuted, but never was by anyone early?

and on and on and on

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't even know what/who that is. I've heard you guys mentioning it but have been too lazy to investigage.
A particularly well known Christ myther, a massive joke and ignoramus to boot.

All you need to do is review my messages on the subject. The Truth is there!
I'll keep an eye out. ;)

Something along those lines. I do not think Jesus was an important figure but he may have been killed for some petty reason not fit to be known at the time.
He was made to be a martyr much later apparently
Could be; it could be somewhere in the middle, though; he could've been taken to be a threat when he actually wasn't, which may have led to him being a martyr. Or the opposite. :D