• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Messiah

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Is it unrealistic that Jewish people expect the Messiah will establish world peace? Or are they just talking about larger wars not happening, not necessarily a perfect world?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it unrealistic that Jewish people expect the Messiah will establish world peace? Or are they just talking about larger wars not happening, not necessarily a perfect world?
The first step is establishing peace for the Jewish people in the Land of Israel. I think the rest of the nations will follow after, but obviously they will have to hash out peace deals amongst themselves. The Jewish Messiah isn't supposed to serve as the UN's secretary general.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Is it unrealistic that Jewish people expect the Messiah will establish world peace?

If Jewish people expect that, then yes.

The Prophecy:
Peace comes at the end of days.
The Jewish Messiah comes at or before the end of days ( among other things ).
The two occur in the same context, but one is not causing the other.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I think whatever the Jewish viewpoint is (I haven’t got enough knowledge on Jewish beliefs, ofcourse there’s lots of wonderful Jews on here)

But I have the oppinion this world will never be perfect
Not in the ethereal, heveanly, divine, sense

We can certainly be better, no wars, one ultimate goal, no fighting, no murder

You can obviously imagine a utopia type world, where we’re all mostly cool with one another

BUT I think dispute, argument, debate, fighting over resources is always going to be a thing, just because we’re material and flawed and have egos and have desires and strive for power or whatever

I can see a mostly peaceful world, but I don’t see a perfect world

And the true is for our future as a multi planetary species, IF we get there
Mars and any other body will be subject to politics, dispute, arguments, resource issues

…Only God is perfect

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I think whatever the Jewish viewpoint is (I haven’t got enough knowledge on Jewish beliefs, ofcourse there’s lots of wonderful Jews on here)

But I have the oppinion this world will never be perfect
Not in the ethereal, heveanly, divine, sense

We can certainly be better, no wars, one ultimate goal, no fighting, no murder

You can obviously imagine a utopia type world, where we’re all mostly cool with one another

BUT I think dispute, argument, debate, fighting over resources is always going to be a thing, just because we’re material and flawed and have egos and have desires and strive for power or whatever

I can see a mostly peaceful world, but I don’t see a perfect world

And the true is for our future as a multi planetary species, IF we get there
Mars and any other body will be subject to politics, dispute, arguments, resource issues

…Only God is perfect
Imo we will never live on other planets

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think dispute, argument, debate, fighting over resources is always going to be a thing, just because we’re material and flawed and have egos and have desires and strive for power or whatever

What if?

Everyone agrees, except for the mentally ill, the criminally insane, that there is a God in heaven, and there will be a just accounting of each individuals actions when they pass on. This is, essentially, the definition of a "believer" as written in the Quran.

What if?

In addition to the above shared belief, the justice system here on Earth was refined and improved. Discouraging without interfering with personal freedom? Evidence is collected and tested for credibility in a much more to use and accurate manner?

What if?

this world will never be perfect

Right. In this case seeking perfection is the enemy of the good. But there's a whole lot of opportunity for good improvement, IF, we cooperate and we aren't afraid of failure.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
What if?

Everyone agrees, except for the mentally ill, the criminally insane, that there is a God in heaven, and there will be a just accounting of each individuals actions when they pass on. This is, essentially, the definition of a "believer" as written in the Quran.

What if?

In addition to the above shared belief, the justice system here on Earth was refined and improved. Discouraging without interfering with personal freedom? Evidence is collected and tested for credibility in a much more to use and accurate manner?

What if?

Right. In this case seeking perfection is the enemy of the good. But there's a whole lot of opportunity for good improvement, IF, we cooperate and we aren't afraid of failure.
Absolutely we can move towards something greater

InChrist

Free4ever
I think according to the scriptures it’s realistic to expect the Messiah to establish peace…

Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 28 The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.” Ezekiel 37:26-28

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think according to the scriptures it’s realistic to expect the Messiah to establish peace…

Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 28 The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.” Ezekiel 37:26-28

As in Parashat Pinchas (Numbers 25:11), the JPS views the Hebrew "b'riti shalom" as an idiom to be rendered "My pact of friendship."

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
For what it's worth, I agree: the task of establishing world peace is ours alone.

That's the same mistake people have been making since the dawn of civilization: Let's do this alone.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
JPS views the Hebrew "b'riti shalom" as an idiom to be rendered "My pact of friendship."

The JPS is erasing and replacing the meaning of the word Shalom with something else atheist-friendly.

@InChrist , The JPS is atheist-propaganda. It is not faithful to Judaism. It is there for atheists who need validation of their non-belief in spite of their Jewish cultural heritage. That's why Jay is pushing it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I will make a covenant of peace

The Judaica Press agrees with this translation.
The Art Scroll agrees with this translation.
The Da'ath Sofrim from Moznaim agrees with this translation. It's a wonderful ( somewhat ) modern translation.

Page 622: ( sorry for the poor quality photo, in a spoiler to save screen space )

1721997816538.png

You really are conversing with someone whose agenda is far more important to them than scriptural fidelity and academic integrity. They don't tell you that the JPS is written for atheists. You won't ever get the complete story from people like this. Lying by omission is their #1 tactic.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The JPS is atheist-propaganda. It is not faithful to Judaism. It is there for atheists who need validation of their non-belief in spite of their Jewish cultural heritage.

I don't buy that as I have both the JPS and the Stone Edition Chumash and Tanakh, and in most cases they are generally comparable. Either way, the JPS certainly isn't even close to being atheistic.

InChrist

Free4ever
The JPS is erasing and replacing the meaning of the word Shalom with something else atheist-friendly.

@InChrist , The JPS is atheist-propaganda. It is not faithful to Judaism. It is there for atheists who need validation of their non-belief in spite of their Jewish cultural heritage. That's why Jay is pushing it.
That’s not too surprising.