• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

kabbalah is from Kapila Muni

Not even as closely as Karma and Calmer match. I have seen all sorts of pseudo-history based of similar sounding words that have nothing to do with each other.

Do u Know Who is the Founder of Kabbalah Philosophy?, U Don't have the History.It is not Like Hinduism , Hinduism or Vedic Tradition doesn't have any Founder. But For Abrahamic Religions Everything Has Founders, Then Who is the Founder of Kabbalah ?.

Even for Adam and Eve u Have history , Then Why u Dont Know Founder of Kabbalah ??????????????????

Last edited:
Karma in Hinduism as I understand it is probably closer to "justice" than cause and effect.
If our actions in this life effect our status after death, then Judaism also has this concept.
It is not the same as an exploration or concious conception of "cause and effect" as I see it.

What is the earliest Hindu philosophical exegesis or exploration of cause and effect and what evidence do we have of this?

In Hinduism There is no Concept of Justice or Judgement Day, Only Abrahamic Religions Have that Concept.

One Important Concept of Cause And Effect (Karma) is Accepted by all the Sampradayas (Traditions) of Hinduism.

Hinduisms Core is Cause and Effect (Karma).

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Do u Know Who is the Founder of Kabbalah Philosophy?, U Don't have the History.It is not Like Hinduism , Hinduism or Vedic Tradition doesn't have any Founder. But For Abrahamic Religions Everything Has Founders, Then Who is the Founder of Kabbalah ?.

Even for Adam and Eve u Have history , Then Why u Dont Know Founder of Kabbalah ??????????????????

Owing to the historical antiquity of Jewish mysticism, it is undecided if it's founder was Adam or Moses.

You can gain a reasonable understanding of it's history here;
Kabbalah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now are you going to answer my question re: the earliest Hindu treatise on "cause and effect" with accompanying evidence?

Owing to the historical antiquity of Jewish mysticism, it is undecided if it's founder was Adam or Moses.

You can gain a reasonable understanding of it's history here;
Kabbalah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now are you going to answer my question re: the earliest Hindu treatise on "cause and effect" with accompanying evidence?

I have already Answered that Even Before u Asked. Please see Previous threads ,

It is From Sankya Yoga By Kapila Where the Reference is found, Kapila's Sankya yoga is one of the verry oldest , It is even Before Krishna, Krishna Himself is More than 5000 Years old ,

Even in Bhagavad Gita Krishan speaks of Cause and Effect in the Sankya Yoga. Reincarnation Theory of Hinduism is Based on Cause and Effect.

And Not only that It is the Core of Hinduism, we don't just blindly Say anything like Abrahamic religions, we always Think with Cause and Effect.

u r asking earliest Hindu Reference on "cause and effect", the Whole Hinduism's Under Current is Cause and Effect.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
It is evidently ridiculous to assume I'm familiar with all threads on this board.

Provide links to what you reference or provide a dated quotation regarding the specific subject of cause and effect.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Even in Bhagavad Gita Krishan speaks of Cause and Effect in the Sankya Yoga. Reincarnation Theory of Hinduism is Based on Cause and Effect.
I think you could provide a more specific reference than that. Besides, the afterlife beliefs of Jews were based on the cause and effect of disobedience to God.

u r asking earliest Hindu Reference on "cause and effect", the Whole Hinduism's Under Current is Cause and Effect.
That being the case, a specific dated reference should not be difficult.

Then we can move on to whether or not there is evidence that all other cultures copied cause and effect of Krishna as opposed to noticing it for themselves.

Then we should also discuss whether Kabbalah is simply the law of cause an effect or whether it covers a wide range of subjects, and thus even if we were to hypothetically assume that Kabbalah's cause and effect were copied off Hinduism, all other subjects within Kabbalah may not necessarily be Hindu in origin, which would still leave your assertions relying on a stretch of the imagination to say that Kabbalah is Sankya Yoga.

Levite

Higher and Higher
If U See the Thought trend Also kabbalah Thought Trend will Come close to Vedic tradition not with Jewish.

Cause and Effect Which is called Karma in Hinduism is Basically Concept from Sanathana Dharma. It is the Karma Theory. Jewish Tradition Does't have this Concept.

I'm really not sure what you are talking about. There is not really a concept of Karma per se in Kabbalah. There are similar ideas, positive and negative energies, a cycle of rebirth. But however analogous they may seem, similarity doesn't equal a relationship.

Kabbalah does not come from Vedic tradition or Sanatana Dharma. It is Jewish mysticism, influenced at various points in history by Babylonian mysticism and neo-Platonism.

Again, just because an idea has similarity to another idea doesn't mean there is a relationship between the two. There is simply no evidence, whatsoever, either historically or in terms of the style and teachings of the textual tradition, that there is any relationship between Jewish mysticism and any religious tradition of the Indian subcontinent. None.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Indian Subcontinent reference is very subjective! It is a known that vedic people or vedic influences existed till persia before it is converted to Islam country. I will post a new topic soon on the 'The fire temple of baku' which has devanagari script all over its walls and ancient statues of rishis(saints) and vedic gods all over it. Vedic indians are first fire worshippers!

BOT ---Kabbalah has references to vedic Mount meru

Levite

Higher and Higher
Indian Subcontinent reference is very subjective! It is a known that vedic people or vedic influences existed till persia before it is converted to Islam country. I will post a new topic soon on the 'The fire temple of baku' which has devanagari script all over its walls and ancient statues of rishis(saints) and vedic gods all over it. Vedic indians are first fire worshippers!

BOT ---Kabbalah has references to vedic Mount meru

I have never heard a reference in Kabbalah to a "mount meru." Nor is there, to the best of my professional knowledge, any significant Persian influence in Kabbalah beyond a few measurement units and some mystical concepts shared between the Persians and Babylonians. Certainly nothing of either significant substance or of major influence outside a few of the most ancient teachings, most of which were either discarded or evolved into very different ideas over time. And of those few, the ideas tend to be in things like multiple heavenly realms, not in anything to do with karma or ideas like it.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
This entire thread is an epic fail lol. :facepalm:

You can make some type correlational connection to all of the mystical sects and beliefs of all religions. But there is no way in hell anyone could ever say this culture came up with it first.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
If U See the Thought trend Also kabbalah Thought Trend will Come close to Vedic tradition not with Jewish.

Cause and Effect Which is called Karma in Hinduism is Basically Concept from Sanathana Dharma. It is the Karma Theory. Jewish Tradition Does't have this Concept.

I would argue that Kaballah has been passed down orally since the formation of the Jewish religion. My belief would be that Kaballah was considered so powerful that they did not record it in written form in order to keep it from those who might misuse the power. Instead it was transferred orally, to keep it a secret. Correlates nicely with the hebrew meanin of the word Kabbalah as well.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I'm really not sure what you are talking about. There is not really a concept of Karma per se in Kabbalah. There are similar ideas, positive and negative energies, a cycle of rebirth. But however analogous they may seem, similarity doesn't equal a relationship.

Kabbalah does not come from Vedic tradition or Sanatana Dharma. It is Jewish mysticism, influenced at various points in history by Babylonian mysticism and neo-Platonism.

Again, just because an idea has similarity to another idea doesn't mean there is a relationship between the two. There is simply no evidence, whatsoever, either historically or in terms of the style and teachings of the textual tradition, that there is any relationship between Jewish mysticism and any religious tradition of the Indian subcontinent. None.

Hi Levite,

Yes,even though there is not much relationship between the two,there is a lot of similarities.

From what I know,Hellenized Jewish Philosopher - Philo of Alexandria has had some influence on Kabbalah.

Philo himself has had derived much of his Platonic Philosophy from Neo-platonism. Founder of Neo-Platonism was Plotinus,who had proposed a metaphysical theory very similar to Advaita vedanta of Hinduism.This connection was supposed to have come from his teacher Ammonius Saccas-who is said to have direct links with Hinduism-(Sacas is similar to Sakhya clan of Buddha). Plotinus even wanted to move to Persia and India before being sent back.This I believe is one reason for the similarities in these philosophies.

Now,all this does point to a very interesting connection of Plato's Philosophy and Indian Mysticism in general-their belief in Metempsychosis(reincarnation)-read myth of Er,Socratic theory on the ascent of love,and the theory of forms(especially in Timaeus).This thought form has its origins(in the west) in pre-socratic philosophy-Parminedes,Heraclitus(whose theory is similar to Sankhya in my view) and Pythagoras.Later,Stoic Thinkers had a philosophy much in common Buddhism and Hinduism.The Upanishads perhaps a little older echo similar ideas.

The following book describes some of the similarities:
Amazon.com: The Shape of Ancient Thought: Comparative Studies in Greek and Indian Philosophies (9781581152036): Thomas C. Mcevilley: Books

As for the OP,Hinduism does not own any of its truths -Karma and Reincarnation in particular.Furthermore,if these philosophies are true,it shows that -Sages of Different religions can all have access to them (as said in Rig Veda-Truth is one,sages call it by different names).:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
मैत्रावरुणिः;3484798 said:

...explain.

Because,if it is true it is True for everyone and not just for Hindus.And anyone can have access to it just as Hindus can.
Just read up on similarities between Pythagoreanism and Hinduism.It is not just Kabbalah,many Greek Philosophies have a lot in common with Hinduism-which points to cultural exchanges(or shared wisdom perhaps-no one knows for sure).
Good luck!

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Because,if it is true it is True for everyone and not just for Hindus.And anyone can have access to it just as Hindus can.
Just read up on similarities between Pythagoreanism and Hinduism.It is not just Kabbalah,many Greek Philosophies have a lot in common with Hinduism-which points to cultural exchanges(or shared wisdom perhaps-no one knows for sure).
Good luck!

Oh, no! You misunderstood my intent. I agree with you. I just wanted you to explain so others can understand your noble point. Thank you for doing so, because truth does not heed to socio-nationo-religio-boundries, in fact it encompasses all.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hi Levite,

Yes,even though there is not much relationship between the two,there is a lot of similarities.

From what I know,Hellenized Jewish Philosopher - Philo of Alexandria has had some influence on Kabbalah.

Philo himself has had derived much of his Platonic Philosophy from Neo-platonism. Founder of Neo-Platonism was Plotinus,who had proposed a metaphysical theory very similar to Advaita vedanta of Hinduism.This connection was supposed to have come from his teacher Ammonius Saccas-who is said to have direct links with Hinduism-(Sacas is similar to Sakhya clan of Buddha). Plotinus even wanted to move to Persia and India before being sent back.This I believe is one reason for the similarities in these philosophies.

While it's true that there might be some reason to guess at a Vedic influence on Plotinus, the thread from Plotinus to Kabbalah is long, indirect, and vague. Even if proved true, that would make the influence third- or fourth-hand at best, which to my mind isn't enough to claim a direct relationship, let alone a causal link.

As for Philo, though he certainly was a neo-Platonist, I doubt his influence on Kabbalah. He lived in a Hellenistic community far removed from the centers of early Jewish mystical thought, and his work was little studied in mainstream Jewish communities until many, many centuries later-- even then, he was seldom of great influence, since other, more respected authorities had made many of his key points on their own.

The initial Platonic influences on early Jewish mysticism seem to have come from Hellenic syncretism (greatly modified) in the time of the early Rabbis of the Talmud (first couple of centuries CE); the neo-Platonic influences may possibly be visible in some of the more mystical passages in the Gemara (the later portion of the Talmud), but it's debatable. The certain neo-Platonic influences came during the time of the Gaonim (6th to 11th centuries CE), especially in the time of Rav Saadiah Gaon (882-942 CE). Rav Saadiah was deeply influenced by neo-Platonic thought, especially as filtered through the Muslim philosophers of the Mutakalimi and Mutazili schools of thought.