• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

kabbalah is from Kapila Muni

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
While it's true that there might be some reason to guess at a Vedic influence on Plotinus, the thread from Plotinus to Kabbalah is long, indirect, and vague. Even if proved true, that would make the influence third- or fourth-hand at best, which to my mind isn't enough to claim a direct relationship, let alone a causal link.

As for Philo, though he certainly was a neo-Platonist, I doubt his influence on Kabbalah. He lived in a Hellenistic community far removed from the centers of early Jewish mystical thought, and his work was little studied in mainstream Jewish communities until many, many centuries later-- even then, he was seldom of great influence, since other, more respected authorities had made many of his key points on their own.

The initial Platonic influences on early Jewish mysticism seem to have come from Hellenic syncretism (greatly modified) in the time of the early Rabbis of the Talmud (first couple of centuries CE); the neo-Platonic influences may possibly be visible in some of the more mystical passages in the Gemara (the later portion of the Talmud), but it's debatable. The certain neo-Platonic influences came during the time of the Gaonim (6th to 11th centuries CE), especially in the time of Rav Saadiah Gaon (882-942 CE). Rav Saadiah was deeply influenced by neo-Platonic thought, especially as filtered through the Muslim philosophers of the Mutakalimi and Mutazili schools of thought.
Thanks for your reply.The relationship is very very vague at best.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As my friend has explained, this chap doesn't speak for me either. I don't understand why any faith tries to argue other faiths came from theirs. It makes no sense to argue this. It's historical, and what you are doing now and into the future is what matters.

I would argue that Kaballah has been passed down orally since the formation of the Jewish religion. My belief would be that Kaballah was considered so powerful that they did not record it in written form in order to keep it from those who might misuse the power. Instead it was transferred orally, to keep it a secret. Correlates nicely with the hebrew meanin of the word Kabbalah as well.

Yes in Hindu tradition, everything is transferred orally even vedas are transferred orally, this proves it more related to vedic tradition.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes in Hindu tradition, everything is transferred orally even vedas are transferred orally, this proves it more related to vedic tradition.

Please explain how the identical mode of transfer in any way proves any sort of connection.

danieldemol

Premium Member

Or it simply proves that prior to widespread literacy, the easiest way of passing on knowledge was through word of mouth.

Or it simply proves that prior to widespread literacy, the easiest way of passing on knowledge was through word of mouth.

It is not Just Passing Thru mouth, Lakhs of Versus , Orally transmitted for Many Generations, not written, and Maintaining the Originality is a great thing.

Because,if it is true it is True for everyone and not just for Hindus.And anyone can have access to it just as Hindus can.
Just read up on similarities between Pythagoreanism and Hinduism.It is not just Kabbalah,many Greek Philosophies have a lot in common with Hinduism-which points to cultural exchanges(or shared wisdom perhaps-no one knows for sure).
Good luck!

Pythogorus came to India He Learnt Spirituality there, Even Pithogorous theorem is Discovered in India before Pithogorous. Because Our Foreign Invaders Have Written our Indian History Wrongly , Misrepresented Hinduism to spread their Religion, Added so many things which is not truth.

India History itself is re written By Our Invaders so that Indians Loose Respect for their Own Country.

Last edited:

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Op has a point, the ancient philosophy of Samkhya which is also called as samkhya yoga has commonalities with later came kabbalah.. According to kabbalah, life is associated with numbers and this is ancient samkhya concept.Samkhya has 24 tattwas.Fractal-like division of reality into self-similiar subdivisions is common in samkhya and kabbalah only ssamkhya is much much older. No one can prove for sure 100% in this world, but the similarities must be noted without bias.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Pythogorus came to India He Learnt Spirituality there, Even Pithogorous theorem is Discovered in India before Pithogorous. Because Our Foreign Invaders Have Written our Indian History Wrongly , Misrepresented Hinduism to spread their Religion, Added so many things which is not truth.

India History itself is re written By Our Invaders so that Indians Loose Respect for their Own Country.
Yes there are evidences pointing out to this fact and add to that even plato!!!

On another mention, Fibonacci series was originally invented by a vedic pingala centuries before fibonacci claimed to have invented it.

Infinitesimal calculus was use in India more specifically Kerala 250 yrs before newton claimed to invent calculus. Now double dare anyone to quote me wrong on me on the above info

Metempsychosis

Yes he seems to have travelled to India.:p

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Yes he seems to have travelled to India.:p

Yes he did indeed and pythogoras did not invent the theorem, he stole it

Baudhāyana listed the so called Pythagoras theorem in his book called Baudhāyana Śulbasûtra (800 BCE) and it was 1000 yrs before pythogoras was born..There was no patents like system in ancient india, so no author used to take credit for something they have done.

The following is the sutra:
dīrghasyākṣaṇayā rajjuH pārśvamānī, tiryaDaM mānī, cha yatpṛthagbhUte kurutastadubhayāṅ karoti

Baudhāyana used a rope as an example in the above shloka which can be translated as - A rope stretched along the length of the diagonal produces an area which the vertical and horizontal sides make together.
Baudhāyana Śulbasûtra is one of the texts that contain advanced mathematics. See this link for miniscule of the advanced theorems present in it

Sulbasutra Geometry

Metempsychosis

Yes he did indeed and pythogoras did not invent the theorem, he stole it

Baudhāyana listed the so called Pythagoras theorem in his book called Baudhāyana Śulbasûtra (800 BCE) and it was 1000 yrs before pythogoras was born..There was no patents like system in ancient india, so no author used to take credit for something they have done.

The following is the sutra:
dīrghasyākṣaṇayā rajjuH pārśvamānī, tiryaDaM mānī, cha yatpṛthagbhUte kurutastadubhayāṅ karoti

Baudhāyana used a rope as an example in the above shloka which can be translated as - A rope stretched along the length of the diagonal produces an area which the vertical and horizontal sides make together.
Baudhāyana Śulbasûtra is one of the texts that contain advanced mathematics. See this link for miniscule of the advanced theorems present in it

Sulbasutra Geometry

Yeah I get it.Just that Pythagoras was born 100 yrs after this discovery.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Yeah I get it.Just that Pythagoras was born 100 yrs after this discovery.
There was an extensive research done on the dating of sulba sutras. Seidenberg (1978) concludes that the knowledge contained in these texts called Sulba Sutras goes back to at least 1700 B.C.

wow--This thread has gone way off topic. I will not derail this thread further :)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't think anyone would deny that a lot of modern science and mathematics owes a LOT to India.

It's just important to recognize that no country is the center of the world, not even Great Bharata.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don't think anyone would deny that a lot of modern science and mathematics owes a LOT to India.

It's just important to recognize that no country is the center of the world, not even Great Bharata.

This is an outstanding point, India has contributed greatly to every sphere of knowledge, as have many other cultures.

Moreover one of the things which lead to the ascendancy of a nation was it's ability to learn from other cultures. Pythagorus is not only said to have sought knowledge in India, Diogenes Laertius reported that Pythagoras had undertaken extensive travels, and had visited not only India, but Arabia, Phoenicia, Judaea, Babylon, and Egypt, for the purpose of collecting all available knowledge.

When nations become excessively ethnocentric it inhibits their ability to remain at the forefront of knowledge because their people can become too proud to add new ideas from elsewhere to their knowledge.

Gautam

The Greeks referred to the Jews as Judeos, or Jah deos or Yadavas, meaning people of Ya or descendants of Yadu, one of the sons of Yayati.
According to Vedic traditions and also as mentioned in Puranas there was a great flood around 10000 years ago where only Manu (Noah) and his family survived on the boat as mentioned in the Shatapatha Brahmana (1.8.1).
His important descendants are the Pauravas, Ayu, Nahusha, and Yayati. From Yayati came the five Vedic clans; the Purus, Anus, Druhyus, Turvashas, and Yadus (these clans later spread around the world). Thus the Yadavas or Jah deos or Judeos are an extension of the same Vedic culture or Indo-aryan culture or race. Rishi (Saint ) Kapila might have imparted the wisdom in the form of Kabbalah to the Yadavas before they were called Judeos by the Greeks.

ametist

I agree. some gurus had access to same root kabbalist did have.but I am not sure if they were calling it kabbalistic.

Levite

Higher and Higher
The Greeks referred to the Jews as Judeos, or Jah deos or Yadavas, meaning people of Ya or descendants of Yadu, one of the sons of Yayati.
According to Vedic traditions and also as mentioned in Puranas there was a great flood around 10000 years ago where only Manu (Noah) and his family survived on the boat as mentioned in the Shatapatha Brahmana (1.8.1).
His important descendants are the Pauravas, Ayu, Nahusha, and Yayati. From Yayati came the five Vedic clans; the Purus, Anus, Druhyus, Turvashas, and Yadus (these clans later spread around the world). Thus the Yadavas or Jah deos or Judeos are an extension of the same Vedic culture or Indo-aryan culture or race. Rishi (Saint ) Kapila might have imparted the wisdom in the form of Kabbalah to the Yadavas before they were called Judeos by the Greeks.

Um...no.

Greeks translated Ioudaioi from the Hebrew Yehudim, meaning, Judah-ites. They were called this because the Northern Kingdom of Israel was conquered by the Assyrians in 722 BCE, leaving only the Southern Kingdom of Judah (Yehudah), which the Greeks called Ioudaia.

Please do not invent other people's history and culture based on how you think words from different languages kind of sound alike.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
I agree. Any thoughts how and when they reached israel?

River Sea

@GoodAttention I'm wondering if this helps to show the timeline. Here's where I found the post in this thread: Kabbalah is from Kapila Muni; does this help with the timeline?

@Gautam mentioned the words Kabbalah and Rishi (Saint) Kapila. Does this show a timeline? @Gautam wrote, "Rishi (Saint ) Kapila might have imparted the wisdom in the form of Kabbalah to the Yadavas before they were called Judeos by the Greeks."

@Good Attention to your question

Timeline is important, when are these claims being made? Greeks came to India in 300BCE.

I do not adhere to Vaishnavism, therefore I reject this.