• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kamala

idea

Question Everything
First, a little background information, I encourage everyone to read the wiki page that walks through her childhood, parents, educational and religious background. If someone has something better than wiki that summarizes her background, please post link. A few excerpts from wiki page:

Kamala Harris - Wikipedia

Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was a Tamil Indian-American biologist whose work on the progesterone receptor gene stimulated advances in breast cancer research.[16] Shyamala had moved to the United States from India as a 19-year-old graduate student in 1958.

Kamala Harris's father, Donald J. Harris, is a Stanford University professor of economics (emeritus) who arrived in the United States from British Jamaica in 1961, for graduate study at UC Berkeley, receiving a PhD in economics in 1966.

When Harris began kindergarten, she was bused as part of Berkeley's comprehensive desegregation program to Thousand Oaks Elementary School, a public school in a more prosperous neighborhood in northern Berkeley which previously had been 95 percent white, and after the desegregation plan went into effect became 40 percent black. (In 2019 Kamala supported busing for desegregation of schools)

When she was twelve, Harris and her sister moved with their mother to Montreal, Quebec, where Shyamala had accepted a research and teaching position at the McGill University-affiliated Jewish General Hospital. Harris attended a French-speaking primary.

Kamala attended Westmount High School in Westmount, Quebec, graduating in 1981. There, a friend confided to Harris that she had been sexually abused in her home. Hearing of her schoolmate's experience helped form Harris's later commitment as a prosecutor to protect women and children.

While at Howard University, she interned as a mailroom clerk for California senator Alan Cranston, chaired the economics society, led the debate team, and joined Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

San Francisco district attorney Terence Hallinan recruited Harris as an assistant district attorney.[58] There she became the chief of the Career Criminal Division, supervising five other attorneys, where she prosecuted homicide, burglary, robbery, and sexual assault cases – particularly three-strikes cases.

Harris took a job at San Francisco City Hall, working for city attorney Louise Renne. Harris ran the Family and Children's Services Division representing child abuse and neglect cases.

Harris met her future husband, attorney Doug Emhoff, through a mutual friend who set up Harris and Emhoff on a blind date in 2013. Emhoff, who was born in a Jewish family, was an entertainment lawyer who became partner-in-charge at Venable LLP's Los Angeles office. Harris and Emhoff were married on August 22, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California. Harris is stepmother to Emhoff's two children, Cole and Ella, from his previous marriage to the film producer Kerstin Emhoff.

Harris was described by The New York Times in 2020 as a pragmatic moderate, with policy positions that broadly mirror those of Biden. Left-wing activists have criticized Harris on numerous occasions for her past actions as a prosecutor, which have been called "right-wing."

... just thought she deserved her own thread.

What I like about her:

Religious background: Hindu mother, Christian Father, Jewish husband (She stood against the "Muslim Ban", supports Palestinians, and understands Jewish side too, attended Jewish school).

International background: Child of immigrants, lived in US and Canada, Spent time in/family in India (now largest nation on the earth - outnumbering China, the new giant), quite a diverse family.

She seems isolationist when it comes to military - Vote Smart | Facts For All voted against sending weapons to Arab countries (not sure why republicans all voted to supply weapons to Arab countries??? on several occasions?? ) voted to remove US from middle east. I agree with staying out of it too.

Kamala Harris brings a diverse and multidisciplinary background, moderate international policy initiatives, and dedicated advocacy for the rights and empowerment of children and women.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

For this discussion, please include Kamala Harris's voting records and history on cases she worked on. Let's focus on factual information and avoid satire, no manipulated footage, or irrelevant portrayals.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If @idea doesn't mind, I'd also suggest this: Harris has given 4 big speeches in 4 days since Biden stepped aside. When offering your opinion of her fitness, please use her own words (they're easy to find) and her own accomplishments or failures as they have been recorded. Looks and mannerisms tell you far too little about other people.

Edit: I amend what I said -- she just gave another speech talking about her meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu, and it is important. It differs from Biden's position -- for better or worse is of course a matter of opinion.

idea

Question Everything
If @idea doesn't mind, I'd also suggest this: Harris has given 4 big speeches in 4 days since Biden stepped aside. When offering your opinion of her fitness, please use her own words (they're easy to find) and her own accomplishments or failures as they have been recorded. Looks and mannerisms tell you far too little about other people.

Edit: I amend what I said -- she just gave another speech talking about her meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu, and it is important. It differs from Biden's position -- for better or worse is of course a matter .

This seems to be a good place for transcripts -

Speech on Reproductive Rights (July 2024)

She supports reproductive freedoms, pro-choice

Independence Day Celebration (July 4, 2024)

Celebrate freedom and democracy, gratitude to military service members and families, importance of unity, protect democracy and individual rights

Campaign Event in Philadelphia (July 2024)

Commitment to honoring the Black community, highlighted economic recovery efforts, infrastructure investments, and initiatives aimed at racial equality.

Remarks on Voting Rights (June 2024)

Called for the protection and expansion of voting access

AFT

Importance of public education, critical role of teachers, initiatives aimed at raising teachers' salaries, enhancing classroom resources, and ensuring safe learning environments (gun violence).

Israel

did not attend his address to Congress, later discussions focused on the ongoing conflict in Gaza and the broader Israeli-Palestinian situation. Harris reiterated the U.S. commitment to Israel's right to defend itself while also expressing concerns about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. She condemned the October 7 attack by Hamas and emphasized the need for a balanced approach that addresses both security and humanitarian needs. Not a "zionist", avoiding charged words, trying to be balanced. Her husband (who is Jewish) also made short statement supporting Israel.

She's passionate, will be interested in seeing her in a debate.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
First, a little background information, I encourage everyone to read the wiki page that walks through her childhood, parents, educational and religious background. If someone has something better than wiki that summarizes her background, please post link. A few excerpts from wiki page:

... just thought she deserved her own thread.

What I like about her:

Religious background: Hindu mother, Christian Father, Jewish husband (She stood against the "Muslim Ban", supports Palestinians, and understands Jewish side too, attended Jewish school).

International background: Child of immigrants, lived in US and Canada, Spent time in/family in India (now largest nation on the earth - outnumbering China, the new giant), quite a diverse family.

She seems isolationist when it comes to military - Vote Smart | Facts For All voted against sending weapons to Arab countries (not sure why republicans all voted to supply weapons to Arab countries??? on several occasions?? ) voted to remove US from middle east. I agree with staying out of it too.

Kamala Harris brings a diverse and multidisciplinary background, moderate international policy initiatives, and dedicated advocacy for the rights and empowerment of children and women.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

For this discussion, please include Kamala Harris's voting records and history on cases she worked on. Let's focus on factual information and avoid satire, no manipulated footage, or irrelevant portrayals.
I don't like her. The one assignment Biden gave her was the border, and she did absolutely nothing. However, we will survive four years of Kamala. We will not survive four years of Trump.

I do believe she has revived the possibility that the Democrats may win the election. She is young, energetic, healthy, and vivacious. What's Trump going to attack? That she's a woman? That she's biracial?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't like her. The one assignment Biden gave her was the border, and she did absolutely nothing.

:facepalm:

What does "Biden gave her was the border" even mean. Perhaps this will help:​
but probably not. Being a MAGA/GOP surrogate is far easier for some -- both intellectually and ethically.​
Speaking of ethics and intellectual integrity, perhaps you could point us to where you've repudiated the Trump's cynical sabotage of immigration reform for the sake of ...​
wait for it ...​
Trump.​

:facepalm:

idea

Question Everything
I don't like her. The one assignment Biden gave her was the border, and she did absolutely nothing. However, we will survive four years of Kamala. We will not survive four years of Trump.

I do believe she has revived the possibility that the Democrats may win the election. She is young, energetic, healthy, and vivacious. What's Trump going to attack? That she's a woman? That she's biracial?

I live near the border, am acquainted with quite a few illegal immigrants, actually had project setting up water stations to reduce fatalities.

What would you suggest for the border?

I think it's neat Kamala's mom is an immigrant.

There are no good solutions. I'm not sure everyone realizes how much of our economy, construction, food production, yard workers, janitors to seamstress and nail salon - immigrants are keeping the American dream alive - immigrants create the small business, are entrepreneurs.

"Think bigger" a good book.

Shaul

Premium Member
And how do you do that? The border is nearly 2000 miles long.
The length of the border is a reason to do more protecting, not less. When Biden's predecessor was in office there were not the same millions of illegal immigrants crossing the border. You ask how to do it. Apparently the answer is to do more of what Biden/Harris' predecessor did and less of what the current administration is doing.

Shaul

Premium Member
President Biden asked Vice President Harris to tackle the "root causes" of "migration". She accepted that assignment. Since then illegal immigration has dramatically increased.

President Joe Biden tapped Kamala Harris to tackle the daunting issue of immigration in March 2021, but the vice president’s public-facing work on addressing the root causes of migration largely evaporated within months, according to an NBC News analysis of public documents, U.S. aid disbursements and Harris’ travel schedule.

Harris traveled to Mexico in June 2021 to sign an agreement that has led to a commitment of $4 billion in direct assistance and over $5.2 billion in private-public investment from the U.S. But she has not visited the southern border, or the countries to its south, since January 2022. And despite requests from Mexico for more investment, her “Root Causes Strategy” made no new financial commitments.

When Harris became Biden’s “border czar,” as critics called her, the administration was under pressure from both sides to address the rising number of migrants — particularly unaccompanied children — crossing the border and landing in poor conditions in U.S. custody. On March 24, 2021, Biden took the stage at the White House and seemed to hand the keys on the issue over to his vice president.

“The vice president has agreed — among the multiple other things that I have her leading, and I appreciate it — agreed to lead our diplomatic effort to work with those nations to accept returnees and enhance migration enforcement at their borders,” Biden said.

In accepting the task, Harris made her role more specific, describing largely diplomatic responsibilities. “I look forward to engaging in diplomacy with government, with the private sector, with civil society and the leaders of each in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to strengthen democracy and the rule of law and ensure shared prosperity in the region. We will collaborate with Mexico and other countries throughout the Western Hemisphere.”

Biden asked Harris to tackle the 'root causes' of migration. Here's what happened after that.

Those diplomatic efforts have come to naught.

Furthermore, Harris shares the Biden record on illegal immigration. Which is abysmal.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there

I like her. Liked her enough to vote for her in the 2020 primary. The Democratic voters I know online like her, and are very enthusiastic about her. Most of my family are conservative so I can't really talk politics with them at all, but the couple of them who aren't conservative are energetically supportive of her. Relieved that President Biden stepped aside, and optimistic that she can beat Trump.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
To start, close the southern border down until some plan is in place to deal with the torrents of people sneaking across.
It's against domestic and international law. Even Trump couldn't do it until the pandemic gave him a reason.

Razor wire and drones. Cheap , effective, and efficient.
Abbott did that and serious injuries and deaths occurred. And it will just create a humanitarian crisis. But compassion isn't a republican thing.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
To start, close the southern border down until some plan is in place to deal with the torrents of people sneaking across.
One of the issues to be dealt with:
1) Constitutionally the US must hear the petitions of asylum seekers.
2) Lawfully, asylum seekers must be on US soil to file petition.
:shrug:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It's against domestic and international law. Even Trump couldn't do it until the pandemic gave him a reason.
I'm going to express my view, and you are free to disagree.

Right now, Californians are dying for lack of health care, while illegal immigrants are given free medical care. Californians are sleeping on the streets, while illegal immigrants are given housing. Californians are struggling to pay the cost of their grocery bills, while illegal immigrants are are given food stamps.

Here in California, we have a water shortage. There are simply too many people, and not enough water. Yet we are expected to provide water for illegal immigrants. We also have an electricity shortage, where everything from our air conditioning to our wifi goes out during brown outs. But we have illegal immigrants in our state who use our electricity.

Simply put, and I'm not trying to be mean, we do not have the money, the water, or the electricity to be given to people who don't even have the decency to come here legally. The immigration problem is killing us. It is a crisis. It's got to stop. Illegal immigration is out of control, and it's hurting citizens. It is literally the job of government to protect us. I don't really care HOW they do it, whether its more border agents or building a wall or closing the crossings. I don't care. I just want it done.