• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"keep an open mind"...what does that really mean?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Being open-minded is fundamental to skepticism.

Of course, when people tell other people to be open-minded, it's actually generally a passive-aggressive attempt to tell them that what they think is wrong. True open-mindedness is essentially being consistently honest and aware.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think so.
I'd like to think I was. I like to think I am still.

cool...and you definitely come across as you do.

do you think a person who admits they doubt can be open minded about what they doubt, as in the case of ross and carrie and the LDS experience?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Open-mindedness =/= gullibility.

It means willing to... investigate various arguments (through debate/research/contemplation/etc.) as objectively as possible to come to the truth, while remaining wholly aware, and willing to accept the possibility, that one may be wrong.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Being open-minded is fundamental to skepticism.

Of course, when people tell other people to be open-minded, it's actually generally a passive-aggressive attempt to tell them that what they think is wrong. True open-mindedness is essentially being consistently honest and aware.

i agree with this 100%

i was reading another post and the "believer" was telling the "skeptic" about keeping an open mind and it occurred to me this seems to be double talk...
saying one thing but insinuating the opposite

bjpascoal

Open Minded to me means that you will listen and evaluate objectively. We can try to be as objective as possible or think that we are being objective. But humans are not machines.

We have biases that shape our decision making process.
en . wikipedia . org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Here are a few that I know I have trouble with:

• Anchoring
  • Confirmation
  • Impact
  • Escalation

(There are a couple dozen listed on that wiki article)

Having an understanding of these biases is probably a first good step to being open minded

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Open-mindedness =/= gullibility.

It means willing to... investigate various arguments (through debate/research/contemplation/etc.) as objectively as possible to come to the truth, while remaining wholly aware, and willing to accept the possibility, that one may be wrong.

in order to change ones mind or accept the possibility of being wrong the mind has to be persuaded. and in order for the mind to be persuaded the skeptical questions have been satisfied

waitasec

Veteran Member
Open Minded to me means that you will listen and evaluate objectively. We can try to be as objective as possible or think that we are being objective. But humans are not machines.

We have biases that shape our decision making process.
en . wikipedia . org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Here are a few that I know I have trouble with:

• Anchoring
  • Confirmation
  • Impact
  • Escalation

everyone has to have their own subjective POV because not everyone is the same, otherwise we would never have misunderstandings.

Walkntune

can one be open minded while being skeptical?
No. It is alway an opposition to any advancement especially in the sciences.Sometimes maybe a good accountability but thats it. The skeptics usually come riding in on the coat tail of those with intuitive minds and imagination like Einstein and Tesla and claim what great achievements science has made.They are the cattle in the scientific community who won't stand up and face the unknown until the path has been made for them and shown that it is safe.
Open mindedness sees possibilities and embraces them with imagination and becomes intuitively creative in achiving these dreams in the unknown like making machines fly and going to the moon etc....Those who had these dreams always had to fight the resistance of the skeptics.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
This is a great video all about open-mindedness and how it relates to skepticism:

[youtube]T69TOuqaqXI[/youtube]

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
To me, open minded means you actually listen and consider different points of views.

An open minded person tries to put themselves in other people's shoes and imagine what it is like to walk a mile in them.

People who think they know everything rarely do. A smart person realises that the more they learn, the less they actually know.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
:)

in regards to ross and carrie, do you think they were being closed minded from the experience while admitting to their doubt?
I think they were, yeah.

I think they were expecting something miraculous and supernatural. Their attitude seems to have been something like, "Oh look - let's see what these crazies think. God doesn't exist. Prove me wrong.", as if they expected God to descend on a cloud from the sky, wearing shades and a Hawaiian shirt and say "Hey Ross and Carrie, s'up? Do you believe in me now?" :D

Doesn't work like that, though, lol. Not everyone thinks God is an old man on a cloud. ;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
No. It is alway an opposition to any advancement especially in the sciences.Sometimes maybe a good accountability but thats it. The skeptics usually come riding in on the coat tail of those with intuitive minds and imagination like Einstein and Tesla and claim what great achievements science has made.They are the cattle in the scientific community who won't stand up and face the unknown until the path has been made for them and shown that it is safe.
Open mindedness sees possibilities and embraces them with imagination and becomes intuitively creative in achiving these dreams in the unknown like making machines fly and going to the moon etc....Those who had these dreams always had to fight the resistance of the skeptics.

i don't think that is what i am talking about, at least it wasn't my intention to insinuate that with the OP.