• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"keep an open mind"...what does that really mean?

savethedreams

keeping an open mind simply means to tolerate, accept, think about or ponder other people views or perceptions outside of your own.

waitasec

Veteran Member
keeping an open mind simply means to tolerate, accept, think about or ponder other people views or perceptions outside of your own.

you mean like comparing them and considering how those things fit into the criteria you set for yourself as far as having your skepticism satisfied?

Last edited:

savethedreams

you mean like comparing them and considering how those things fit into the criteria you set for yourself as far as having your skepticism satisfied?

is this a trick question?

yes and no depends on the topic . It has nothing to do with having skepticism satified. It deal with 'considering' but not 100% agreeing. or take in consideration for ex:

If someone never had seafood before, and think its GROSS to even eat cretures of the sea, keeping an open mind is 'trying to seafood" now if you try it and dislike it and sitll think its gross up still have kept an open mind ... if you tried it an like it, still open mind. Never trying is NOT keeping an open mind.

"don't knock it until you try it" .. btw I tried many sides so therfore i knock

waitasec

Veteran Member
is this a trick question?
no not at all...
i just like to dig as deep as i can.
:)

yes and no depends on the topic . It has nothing to do with having skepticism satified. It deal with 'considering' but not 100% agreeing. or take in consideration for ex:
If someone never had seafood before, and think its GROSS to even eat cretures of the sea, keeping an open mind is 'trying to seafood" now if you try it and dislike it and sitll think its gross up still have kept an open mind ... if you tried it an like it, still open mind. Never trying is NOT keeping an open mind.

"don't knock it until you try it" .. btw I tried many sides so therfore i knock

good example...the criteria then would be if they liked it.

savethedreams

no not at all...
i just like to dig as deep as i can.
:)

Keep digging as much as possible as much as you would like..... i like attacks and digging deep the only way you will hit a core i want someone to hit. The only way i discover, the only way i learn.

good example...the criteria then would be if they liked it.
[/quote]

Try it not neccesarly 'like it'. Try it like it or try it and hate it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Keep digging as much as possible as much as you would like..... i like attacks and digging deep the only way you will hit a core i want someone to hit. The only way i discover, the only way i learn.

Try it not neccesarly 'like it'. Try it like it or try it and hate it.

yes the default was to not like it without trying it, then if one tries it and hates it or likes it something has changed, the experience of trying it

savethedreams

yes the default was to not like it without trying it, then if one tries it and hates it or likes it something has changed, the experience of trying it

question comes into play is... what is truly "nasty/gross" if one person like it and another person dislikes based upon the same experience is one neccesarly wrong? or right? what if we tranfer this to matters of 'faith'? In many dharma philosphy they can accept the concept of "we are wrong" in some western though the complete opposte.

Therefore how can a christian/muslim be 'open-minded' in regards to religious faith?

waitasec

Veteran Member
question comes into play is... what is truly "nasty/gross" if one person like it and another person dislikes based upon the same experience is one neccesarly wrong? or right?
that depends on something we as individuals have no control over...
our taste buds..some people are more sensitive to certain taste than others.

what if we tranfer this to matters of 'faith'? In many dharma philosphy they can accept the concept of "we are wrong" in some western though the complete opposte.
i personally feel that it is better to know my limitations
and to think i have none would be foolish.

Therefore how can a christian/muslim be 'open-minded' in regards to religious faith?
it's as if their open mind has closed to other possibilities because they have "arrived" to a conclusion....but it isn't over until it's over :)