• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"keep an open mind"...what does that really mean?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Being a sketpic is being opend minded, you giving the infromation 'time' and 'energy' and enough research to reject it then to just reject it and not learn about it anyway.

as per the thread for which this one was in response to in a roundabout way
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...es/119452-undercover-atheists-lds-church.html

there are those who are quick to just dismiss what ross and carrie did as being closed minded to what their religion had to offer...a means for which god would reveal himself... and since god didn't reveal himself then of course they HAD to be closed minded.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
there are those who are quick to just dismiss what ross and carrie did as being closed minded to what their religion had to offer...a means for which god would reveal himself... and since god didn't reveal himself then of course they HAD to be closed minded.

Mmmm -- I dunno; I haven't gotten that vibe from anyone. Nor was that my own opinion.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
then i'm confused...
what does this mean?

I took it to mean that they went in there expecting nothing to happen, so that baptism was a meaningless and empty ritual for them. Due to it not having any personal meaning, it had no effect on them and it was not the amazing and life-changing feeling that it is for one who follows that path and gives meaning to it.

That help? :)

waitasec

Veteran Member
I took it to mean that they went in there expecting nothing to happen,
so they didn't have an open mind...even though they told them they barely believed but hoped it to be true. as far as i am concerned that's pretty much my experience...i hoped that it would happen but nothing did...

so that baptism was a meaningless and empty ritual for them. Due to it not having any personal meaning,
i disagree, who doesn't hope to find what mormons claim?

it had no effect on them and it was not the amazing and life-changing feeling that it is for one who follows that path and gives meaning to it.

That help? :)

thats my point though...because nothing happened, they were not keeping an open mind....it's the only explanation. and i happen to disagree that is the only explanation...

:sw:

;)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
so they didn't have an open mind...even though they told them they barely believed but hoped it to be true. as far as i am concerned that's pretty much my experience...i hoped that it would happen but nothing did...

thats my point though...because nothing happened, they were not keeping an open mind....it's the only explanation. and i happen to disagree that is the only explanation...

That's not what I'm saying, though.

I'm saying because it was empty of meaning and significance to them as it was not something that they believed in, nothing significant was likely to come of it - and nothing did.

Nothing about anything happening because they didn't have an open mind.

i disagree, who doesn't hope to find what mormons claim?
Many people would not like to find a deity, especially one of the Abrahamic claims, to be the true God.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's not what I'm saying, though.
but i think that is what you are saying because of the following...

I'm saying because it was empty of meaning and significance to them as it was not something that they believed in, nothing significant was likely to come of it - and nothing did.
how do you know it was empty of meaning? what i'm trying to convey is they broadcasted the inner thoughts of anyone who is willing to see what would happen who haven't bought into it yet because their criteria for believing wasn't satisfied but were waiting for it. and since baptism is considered to be the physical expression of the "wanting" to believe then they did it to see if god would reveal himself
how else does one begin to believe?

Many people would not like to find a deity, especially one of the Abrahamic claims, to be the true God.
it's like that scary old guy that lives alone on the corner of the block one lives on...everytime you seem him he's frowning...and then one day one of your friends says...he's actually a nice person...sure you can take it their word at face value, but until you experience his niceness yourself will you be convinced that yeah, he is nice.

thebigpicture

can one be open minded while being skeptical?

You have to have an open mind in order to be skeptical. I think people are open-minded in a lot of ways and just don't realize it until they have a reason to be skeptical. Something triggers doubt then they become a skeptic.

idea

Question Everything
"keep an open mind"...what does that really mean?

I think it means be willing to change your view, admit you are wrong when presented with new information...

avoid rationalizing/blaming/denying... avoid cognitive dissonance... take ego out of it.

waitasec

Veteran Member

yes it does.

theology is a slow progression, always holding on to the ideals of the past until the current understanding found in the real world challenges it and therefore calling for change...
for example;
the sun revolved around the earth

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think it means be willing to change your view, admit you are wrong when presented with new information...

avoid rationalizing/blaming/denying... avoid cognitive dissonance... take ego out of it.

i agree, except for the rationalizing part...