• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Know How Long It Takes The Earth To Orbit The Sun? There's A Good Chance You Don't

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering that the earth is rotating around a small star that is itself orbiting the center of a galaxy, complete with an oscillating rotation (we pogo in and out from the center of the galaxy on an approximately 130 million year cycle like a giant circular sine wave), and that the galaxy is moving away from the point of the Big Bang at an as-yet undetermined speed, and that as time and space are inextricably linked, and remembering what Einstein said about moving clocks and observers, anyone who says they know how long it takes for the earth to go around the sun is a damned liar.

Most of that is irrelevant because it is the relative motion of the Earth with respect to the Sun that is relevant. The other motions are irrelevant for the clocks in the frame best approximating the inertial frame of the sun.

Wirey

Fartist
Most of that is irrelevant because it is the relative motion of the Earth with respect to the Sun that is relevant. The other motions are irrelevant for the clocks in the frame best approximating the inertial frame of the sun.

Nonsense! Either the answer is technically correct (which is the best kind of correct) or it is crap! Therefore, 100% of non-snowmen have no idea what they're talking about.

The Anointed

(It is written in the book of Enoch 5000 years ago) that the Earth travels around the Sun in 365 and 1/4 days, giving an extra "quarter day" each year until the fourth year, when an additional day is to be added, giving the year 366 days. Leap Year.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
People in the US have become dependent on government hand outs. Why should I study and work hard when I can just sit back and collect food stamps and housing assistance and more. Other kids see sports figures and music performers earning millions and figure they don't need an education to do that. People just do not want to do the work needed to succeed. High school education is free but they drop out because they are lazy.
Have you ever tried to step out of poverty? I get wiped out by medical bills any time I've tried. It has nothing to do with studying and working hard, but the fact that unless you can go from poverty and score a spectacularly paying job it might just be harder on you financially to take the job and come out with less at the end of the month than what you had on assistance.
And hand outs? Please. I've been paying my taxes and working, and if I need some of it back because a professional-level, degree requiring job won't cover my medical expenses so be it. Don't blame me, blame those who flood DC with lobbyists who buy up Congressional representatives to pass laws that make things financially easier for the wealthy but way harder for everybody else, especially those trying to elevate themselves out of poverty.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
365.256 days

A day is approximately 23 hours 54 minutes and 4 seconds

Every 4 years an extra day is added to keep calendars working in synch with seasons

And to take up the slack a leap second is added occasionally.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
China has replaced the United States as the world's top high-technology exporter."
I onced worked for a company that exported 80% of their product to China
THEN they allowed the customer to come visit.....with their cameras!!!!!!!!

I knew a layoff would happen
and I just barely beat it out the door

so then another example......the common pocket knife

just a few decades ago my martial arts instructor and I would buy the items in quantity
a hobby of sorts

the stuff from China was junk in those days
but now!!!!!!......top of the line, top dollar stuff

I confess.....I carry such things in my pocket

:(:(:(

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

•49% of U.S. adults don't know how long it takes for the Earth to circle the Sun.

"Report: Poor science education impairs U.S. economy

Stagnant scientific education imperils U.S. economic leadership, says a report by leading business and science figures.

Released Thursday at a congressional briefing attended by senators and congressmen of both parties, the report updates a 2005 science education report that led to moves to double federal research funding.

Nevertheless, the "Rising Above the Gathering Storm" review finds little improvement in U.S. elementary and secondary technical education since then.

"Our nation's outlook has worsened," concludes the report panel headed by former Lockheed Martin chief Norman Augustine. The report "paints a daunting outlook for America if it were to continue on the perilous path it has been following":

"Our nation's outlook has worsened," concludes the report panel headed by former Lockheed Martin chief Norman Augustine. The report "paints a daunting outlook for America if it were to continue on the perilous path it has been following":

•U.S. mathematics and science K-12 education ranks 48th worldwide.

•49% of U.S. adults don't know how long it takes for the Earth to circle the Sun.

•China has replaced the United States as the world's top high-technology exporter."
source

A pretty damn sorry state of affairs if you ask me. I even have concerns that some here had to stop and think about it.

You had concerns that some here had to stop and think about it, eh? Yeah, sure, I had to think about it, but not for the reasons your probably thinking.......

Please, tell me your answer:- How long does it take for our Earth to go round the Sun?

We'll take it from there when you've answered.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Every 4 years an extra day is added to keep calendars working in synch with seasons
not to sync the seasons.....

the orbit has a quarter day extra at the end of the orbit
at the end of four yrs we chalk it up as one extra day on the calendar

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
That would come to 31,471,027.2 seconds. Every second counts. The Earth travels 18.5 miles per second at a speed of approximately 66,000 mph.

Yeah, well if that i true...why is it not always windy :D

But the solar system is traveling at 143 miles per second or 514,000 mph so we move 220,077.113 miles in 31,471,027.2 seconds...so therefore...well.... I have no idea what this has to do with leap year or the length of a year...so thats that :D

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, well if that i true...why is it not always windy :D

But the solar system is traveling at 143 miles per second or 514,000 mph so we move 220,077.113 miles in 31,471,027.2 seconds...so therefore...well.... I have no idea what this has to do with leap year or the length of a year...so thats that :D

It means we're going nowhere awfully fast.

But getting there is half the fun. :p

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
not to sync the seasons.....

the orbit has a quarter day extra at the end of the orbit
at the end of four yrs we chalk it up as one extra day on the calendar

Well, actually, yes, to keep it in sync with the seasons. If we didn't add that extra day, the calendar would drift with respect to where we are in the orbit and thereby the seasons and the calendar would get out of sync. That was the *original* reason for adding the leap day.

Furthermore, it turns out that adding a day every four years is too much and, again, the calendar will get out of sync with the seasons (although it takes longer to do so). And that is why every 400 years, we drop a leap day.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It means we're going nowhere awfully fast.

But getting there is half the fun. :p

This actually got me thinking, but no longer have the math chops to figure it out, assuming I ever did in the first place.
Give the speed of the rotation of the earth on its axis and the speed of Earth orbit around the sun and the speed of the galaxy around the universe combined with the speed of the galaxy itself....It makes me wonder....What is the average air speed velocity of a laden swallow? :D....just kidding, could not resist that one....... but seriously, It does make me wonder what is the maxim speed a person, standing on earth surface is moving relative to all of this.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You had concerns that some here had to stop and think about it, eh? Yeah, sure, I had to think about it, but not for the reasons your probably thinking.......

Please, tell me your answer:- How long does it take for our Earth to go round the Sun?

We'll take it from there when you've answered.
Nope. I'm not going to help you. You're going to have to figure it out for yourself, go to Wikipedia, or find your 4th grade teacher and ask her.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Most people who are on government aid are working their butts off with one or two jobs ( Trump Wants Families On Food Stamps To Get Jobs. The Majority Already Work ) but upward motility in the US sucks for people in poverty. The kids in these families are dropping out because they need to work so the family can make ends meet. The problem is hard work doesn't equal success in this country, but it's easier to say the poor are lazy than fix the larger problems with wealth distribution.
Yup. And they often work harder than those with better paying jobs (case management is the only job I've had that didn't drench me with sweat). My problem with getting out of poverty has been medical expenses - when you have a list of medical problems you need great insurance or there is no saving money.

Shad

Veteran Member

"Report: Poor science education impairs U.S. economy

Stagnant scientific education imperils U.S. economic leadership, says a report by leading business and science figures.

Released Thursday at a congressional briefing attended by senators and congressmen of both parties, the report updates a 2005 science education report that led to moves to double federal research funding.

Nevertheless, the "Rising Above the Gathering Storm" review finds little improvement in U.S. elementary and secondary technical education since then.

•U.S. mathematics and science K-12 education ranks 48th worldwide.

•China has replaced the United States as the world's top high-technology exporter."
source

A pretty damn sorry state of affairs if you ask me. I even have concerns that some here had to stop and think about it.

The Earth orbits a baycenter

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Nope. I'm not going to help you. You're going to have to figure it out for yourself, go to Wikipedia, or find your 4th grade teacher and ask her.

You see?
You couldn't answer, hence all that pointing in various directions.
Ask that question of mostly anybody and they're going to need to know how exact they are supposed to be, 'cos the exactly correct answer sure ain't 365 days. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Earth orbits a baycenter
You mean the solar system's barycenter? If so, yes it does. And it also orbits the Sun.

or·bit
ˈôrbət/
noun
noun: orbit; plural noun: orbits
1. the curved path of a celestial object or spacecraft around a star, planet, or moon, especially a periodic elliptical revolution.
From NASA's DICTIONARY OF TECHNICAL TERMS FOR AEROSPACE USE

orbit
1. The path of a body or particle under the influence of a gravitational or other force. For instance, the orbit of a celestial body is its path relative to another body around which it revolves.
Orbit is commonly used to designate a closed path and trajectory to denote a path which is not closed. Thus, the trajectory of a sounding rocket, the orbit of a satellite.
2. To go around the earth or other body in an orbit, sense 1.
source
And from the nasa.gov: web site: NASA Dictionary

Orbit
An orbit is a regular, repeating path that one object in space takes around another one. An object in an orbit is called a satellite. A satellite can be natural, like Earth or the moon. Many planets have moons that orbit them. A satellite can also be man-made, like the International Space Station.

Planets, comets, asteroids and other objects in the solar system orbit the sun. Most of the objects orbiting the sun move along or close to an imaginary flat surface. This imaginary surface is called the ecliptic plane.
source