• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowledge, evidence, truth, proof, assumption, axiom, belief, faith and so on

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
For example for what the universe is and if that is known and so on, there are a lot of possible answers that include a lot of words in different combinations.

One example - it is known as true with reasonable certainty that the universe is...
So what is your own worldview for what knowledge and all those other concepts are? And please include other concepts than those I listed if relevant. :)

So here is mine as a skeptic. Since I can't know what objective reality is in itself, I act with faith and belief in that the universe is epistemologically fair, real, orderly and knowable. But I accept that other belief systems are possible.

As for debate. Well, what is truth and are there only one form or many? The same for other concepts and it connects to universal versus relative. :)

AppieB

Since you question reality and everything in it whenever there is a discussion, let me start at the beginning.

I know I have an experience. Whatever that experience might be and whatever what is true about that experience, I know that I experience something. This is wat Descartes meant by "Cogito ergo sum". I hope we don't have to question the fact that we have an experience. Agree?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Since you question reality and everything in it whenever there is a discussion, let me start at the beginning.

I know I have an experience. Whatever that experience might be and whatever what is true about that experience, I know that I experience something. This is wat Descartes meant by "Cogito ergo sum". I hope we don't have to question our own experience. Agree?

Well, yes. It is your experience as yours. But how do you solve the problem of the evil demon by Descartes, which is connected to "Cogito ergo sum"?

AppieB

Well, yes. It is your experience as yours. But how do you solve the problem of the evil demon by Descartes, which is connected to "Cogito ergo sum"?
I don't have a solution for the problem. All I know is that I experience something and "that I am".

AppieB

I see you already go in all kinds of directions. If we do this then we need to take this step by step and do this thorough.

So I guess we agree that I (or you in your case) have an experience (whatever that experince is or whatever is true about that experience) There is no philosophical solution to the problem of the "evil demon" or hard solipsism. So what's the next step?

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I see you already go in all kinds of directions. If we do this then we need to take this step by step and do this thorough.

So I guess we agree that I (or you in your case) have an experience. There is no philosophical solution to the problem of the "evil demon" or hard solipsism. So what's the next step?

I don't know that there is only one next step. You tell me what you do, as I can't tell you what the next step is for you.

E.g. how come you answer me as if I exist as me independent of you? But you seem to use an assumption that there is a common world and we as we are a part of it. Is that correct? If yes, then what is that world as such if not just your experience?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Put a camera on a building, in front of a street.
What the camera records, that is the truth.

What we perceive on that street is just impressions...very subjective impressions.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Put a camera on a building, in front of a street.
What the camera records, that is the truth.

What we perceive on that street is just impressions...very subjective impressions.

Well, that is one version of what could be considered realism. So when we look at the camera recordings, do we perceive very subjective impressions too?