• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lack of belief"

ArtieE

Who are these we?

You earlier agreed, that if a person says "I lack belief in love" we can presume that the person knows what love is. So, how this set is different from the set of people who clearly say "There is no deity'?
Please rephrase this post as it is now it makes no sense and is unanswerable.

atanu

Premium Member
Because in this context we define the bigger set as atheists (not theists) and the smaller set as not theists who believe gods don't exist. Stop mixing different separate ways of explaining the same thing!

You are definining the so called weak atheists as atheists, and strong atheists as 'atheists plus'? Am I getting it correctly?

atanu

Premium Member
That is how they are defined in one explanation yes.

Earlier, we agreed that a person saying "I lack belief in love", presumable knows about love. So, do all these atheists who say "I lack belief in God", presumably know God that they have no belief in?

ArtieE

Earlier, we agreed that a person saying "I lack belief in love", presumable knows about love. So, do all these atheists who say "I lack belief in God", presumably know God that they have no belief in?
All atheists who say they lack belief in the existence of gods have a conception of what gods are.

ArtieE

Out of interest:

Is your 'lack of belief' the same 'lack of belief' experienced by babies, rocks and people unaware of the concept 'god', or is it a different kind of 'lack of belief'?
Could you rephrase? I have a lack of belief or an absence of belief in all gods I've never heard about but this absence of belief isn't something I "experience".

Could you rephrase? I have a lack of belief or an absence of belief in all gods I've never heard about but this absence of belief isn't something I "experience".

Babies, rocks and people who are totally unaware of any concept of god 'lack belief'

You claim to 'lack belief', but are aware of a concept of god.

Is your 'lack of belief' the same as the 'lack of belief' of a rock, baby, etc?

ArtieE

Babies, rocks and people who are totally unaware of any concept of god 'lack belief'

You claim to 'lack belief', but are aware of a concept of god.

Is your 'lack of belief' the same as the 'lack of belief' of a rock, baby, etc?
You can have an absence of belief in gods whether or not you are aware of the concept of gods. To ask whether it's "the same" doesn't make any sense. Try to rephrase.

You can have an absence of belief in gods whether or not you are aware of the concept of gods. To ask whether it's "the same" doesn't make any sense. Try to rephrase.

It makes perfect sense.

Do you believe that ignorance of the concept of god (lack of belief) is identical to refusing to make a call on whether god does or does not exist (what you also term 'lack of belief')?

Or are you saying there are different kinds of 'lack of belief'?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Out of interest:

Is your 'lack of belief' the same 'lack of belief' experienced by babies, rocks and people unaware of the concept 'god', or is it a different kind of 'lack of belief'?
"If you say you don't have to be a New Yorker to be an American, is the 'being American' experienced by a New Yorker the same kind of 'being American' experienced by a non-New-Yorker?"

ArtieE

It makes perfect sense.

Do you believe that ignorance of the concept of god (lack of belief) is identical to refusing to make a call on whether god does or does not exist (what you also term 'lack of belief')?

Or are you saying there are different kinds of 'lack of belief'?
I simply don't understand the question. There are obviously all "kinds" of reasons why some are theists and some are not theists. Am I supposed to make a list of reasons why some are not theists?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is actually not necessary or even particularly advisable, because "God" is such a fluid and personal concept. People are entitled to simply decide that they have no use for any form of it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Out of interest:

By which criteria of comparison?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"If you say you don't have to be a New Yorker to be an American, is the 'being American' experienced by a New Yorker the same kind of 'being American' experienced by a non-New-Yorker?"
So, having a lack of belief is like having a concept of god to believe in: vauge and relative to each person who uses the phrase.

We're really gutting the English language.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So, having a lack of belief is like having a concept of god to believe in: vauge and relative to each person who uses the phrase.
I like how you say "so" at the beginning of your post as if you're going to relate back to my post, but then go on with stuff that has nothing at all to do with what I wrote. It keeps us on our toes.

We're really gutting the English language.
Well, you're certainly giving it the ol' college try.

ArtieE

Scientifically.

Belief can ultimately be reduced to some kind of 'brain activity' after all. Agree?
If you scanned the brains of everybody on earth who for some reason are not theists what "brain activity" do you think they have in common?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I like how you say "so" at the beginning of your post as if you're going to relate back to my post, but then go on with stuff that has nothing at all to do with what I wrote. It keeps us on our toes.

Well, you're certainly giving it the ol' college try.
The "so" is for my satisfaction, referring to my comment, and is entirely superfluous.

Pudding

To the people who keeps saying that atheist cannot lack belief in the existence of gods:
Lack belief in the existence of gods simply means don't believe gods exist.

Don't believe gods exist can be because of a person haven't been convince that any gods exists. That is weak atheist who also doesn't actively assert/believe/claiming gods doesn't exists.

Don't believe gods exist can also be because a person have been convince that no gods exists. That is strong atheist who also believe or claim to know gods doesn't exists.