• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lack of belief"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To clarify something here. I have no issue with atheism at all. I was an atheist, strong atheist for 10-15 years, and I still consider myself a form of atheist (mystical atheist perhaps is a term), but one thing that I never was, was ignorant of why. I was very educated and understood very well why I was an atheist and identified myself as one. Ignorant atheists need to educate themselves. I compare them to Christians who never read the Bible. They don't know what they believe in. Ignorant atheist don't know what they lack belief in. To call yourself an atheist, you need to pick up some knowledge first and not just slap a label on your sleeve without any considerations.
Definitions, Ouroboros.
An atheist entirely ignorant of the concept of God is as much an atheist as who disputes the notion of God.
The one definitive feature is lack of belief. That includes both rejection, complete ignorance and total lack of exposure.
You're making things way too complicated. This is a simple semantic dispute. The working definition is lack of belief/ignorance.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I think the word "people" is a useless word to assign to people. All it tells us is that the entities in question are members of the human race nothing else. It tells us even less about people than if we call them atheists.
No, it doesn't, but it diminishes the term atheism.

As an atheist, I considered something to be prideful of. I had arrived at a conclusion of atheism because of my journey and what I had learned. To label everyone atheist takes away the power of it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, to you, weak atheism is the same as ignorance? Someone who is ignorant of gods is therefore a weak atheist? Well. Ok. That's how you use it, but that's not how I see it.
Ok. That's your view. I think it's useless word to assign to people. Agurkist, ablurbist, aglogist, asmurphist, in other words, to do it in a form of regular expressions, something like: a{.+}ist. Something we all are to some degree or less.
That's how essentially all atheists are using it these days.
I understand there are many historical definitions, but the sine qua non is absence/ignorance.

A million times, until you realize what the other people are trying to say.
I understand what they're saying. They're imposing a subset of atheism as definitive. They're constructing a straw man.

Sorry, but wrong. :)
Gurka is the Swedish word for cucumber. :D
Interesting...

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Definitions, Ouroboros.
An atheist entirely ignorant of the concept of God is as much an atheist as who disputes the notion of God.
That's what the modern atheist thinks. Yes. And me, as a classical, old style atheist, don't like it. It has taken away the power of the word and vision. It's not an opinion, ideology, philosophy, or consideration anymore. Flew flew away, and left was nothing. We can't have philosophical discussions about atheism anymore, because it's just a battle of definitions which include how much or little a person is ignorant about things.

The one definitive feature is lack of belief. That includes both rejection, complete ignorance and total lack of exposure.
You're making things way too complicated. This is a simple semantic dispute. The working definition is lack of belief/ignorance.
If it is a simple semantic dispute, and the working definition is lack of belief/ignorance, then why can I argue and reason about these things? Is it just a simple semantic dispute between those who agree to the working definition? Or is this a discussion about the definition and what's right and wrong about it?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's what the modern atheist thinks. Yes. And me, as a classical, old style atheist, don't like it. It has taken away the power of the word and vision. It's not an opinion, ideology, philosophy, or consideration anymore. Flew flew away, and left was nothing. We can't have philosophical discussions about atheism anymore, because it's just a battle of definitions which include how much or little a person is ignorant about things.
That's why God invented modifiers.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Still, even with modifiers, I do see a huge difference between the "implied atheist" and someone who made an effort before identifying themselves as an atheist.
Many atheists don't identify themselves as atheist. Many aren't aware they're atheists.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Many atheists don't identify themselves as atheist. Many aren't aware they're atheists.
That's the heart of the disagreement.

Personally, because of my own atheism, I prefer atheism to be something people know about. Something they decided about. A conclusion the arrive at, and not just something they've been tagged as.

When I was an atheist, it was a price I had paid. But now, because it's so generalized to include ignorance, the power of using it as an identifier in discussion has been removed. It's better to just respond "I don't believe in your god because such and such" than to say "I'm an atheist because I don't know".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They do unconsciously Willamena, and whenever they use language.
Chair is a subset of furniture. Oak is a subset of tree. Oak chair is a subset of chair.

Anytime you use an adjective, you're indicating a Venn subset.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Of course there's a difference between total ignorance of the concept and rejection of the concept, but so what? ...

So, do you accept that a rejection is not total ignorance. How do we then know what exactly the so-called weak atheist has rejected?

allfoak

Alchemist
That's the heart of the disagreement.

Personally, because of my own atheism, I prefer atheism to be something people know about. Something they decided about. A conclusion the arrive at, and not just something they've been tagged as.

When I was an atheist, it was a price I had paid. But now, because it's so generalized to include ignorance, the power of using it as an identifier in discussion has been removed. It's better to just respond "I don't believe in your god because such and such" than to say "I'm an atheist because I don't know".

The only label i am willing to adopt is Alchemist.
The only reason i even accept that label is because it describes a process rather than a religion.
I have beliefs that run the entire gamut.
From Atheist to fundamentalist Christian.
As soon as i adopt a label someone calls me on it.