• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lack of belief"

McBell

Admiral Obvious
On what grounds do you contend that you have a lack/ absence of belief regarding the existence of god?
The fact that I do not have, I.E. lack, a belief either way on the existence of god.

Can you explain to me why you think these studies are wrong?
Simplicity itself.
I lack a belief either way on the existence of god.
I understand quite a few god concepts.

Thus your false dichotomy is just plain flat out wrong.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, do you accept that a rejection is not total ignorance. How do we then know what exactly the so-called weak atheist has rejected?
The weak atheist hasn't rejected anything. That's the strong atheist.

"Empty" can apply to any box, weather it once contained anything or not. Emptied, on the other hand, applies only to boxes that once had contents.
Subset.

atanu

Premium Member
The weak atheist hasn't rejected anything. That's the strong atheist.

"Empty" can apply to any box, weather it once contained anything or not. Emptied, on the other hand, applies only to boxes that once had contents. Subset.

I will not expect a Vedantic to teach me that mind is ever empty. Atheists can say anything.

The fact that I do not have, I.E. lack, a belief either way on the existence of god.

Simplicity itself.
I lack a belief either way on the existence of god.
I understand quite a few god concepts.

Thus your false dichotomy is just plain flat out wrong.

So you believe gods may or may not exist?

Interesting that a scientific paper by an one of the world's leading psychologists is 'plain flat out wrong' simply because you say it is.

Suit yourself.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
They do unconsciously Willamena, and whenever they use language.
Chair is a subset of furniture. Oak is a subset of tree. Oak chair is a subset of chair.

Anytime you use an adjective, you're indicating a Venn subset.
That's classification, not venn.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's classification, not venn.
Venn diagram is just a way to illustrate sets and subsets. Like graphs, it can be applied to lots of things

People normally don't think in ven diagrams.
People think in categories, overlaps and subcategories.
I thought a Venn analogy would be easier to visualize than those sentence diagrams we had to learn in English class. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Still, even with modifiers, I do see a huge difference between the "implied atheist" and someone who made an effort before identifying themselves as an atheist.
There is a difference. How significant it is is (nearly?) entirely a function of one's expectations.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Venn diagram is just a way to illustrate sets and subsets. Like graphs, it can be applied to lots of things

People think in categories, overlaps and subcategories.
I thought a Venn analogy would be easier to visualize than those sentence diagrams we had to learn in English class. ;)
People undoubtedly classify, yes.

If you've been using the word subset when you meant class, now some of the things you've said make more sense. Hard and weak are classifications of atheist.

PackJason

I make up facts.
All it takes to be an atheist is to have no belief in a god or gods. It is no more complicated than that. How this thread has reached 17 pages is beyond me.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
All it takes to be an atheist is to have no belief in a god or gods. It is no more complicated than that. How this thread has reached 17 pages is beyond me.
Pfft. That's nothing.

In common English all it takes to be an atheist is to disbelieve or lack belief in god. The dispute is about interpretation.

PackJason

I make up facts.
Pfft. That's nothing.

In common English all it takes to be an atheist is to disbelieve or lack belief in god. The dispute is about interpretation.

There is only a "dispute" if you can't get past semantics. The reason I say I have a lack of belief is because I don't want to come across as being assertive that there is no god. I simply lack belief; I don't actively disbelieve ... that would be ridiculous.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My argument is about the impossibility of lacking belief in the existence of god if you understand the statement "god exists"

The peer reviewed scientific journal I quoted suggests you are 'plain flat out wrong'. Perhaps you have an "argument" about why you consider that article to be flawed?

This is from a paper written by Sam Harris (not an eminent scholar admittedly, but someone that many atheists tend to put stock in): "Several psychological studies9 –11 appear to support Spinoza’s conjecture12 that the mere comprehension of a statement entails the tacit acceptance of its being true, whereas disbelief requires a subsequent process of rejection... Our behavioral data support this hypothesis, in so far as subjects judged statements to be “true” more quickly than they judged them to be “false” or “undecidable”"

On what grounds do you contend that you have a lack/ absence of belief regarding the existence of god?
I notice that the question in question morphed a bit over the course of your post. Do you understand that "lacking belief in the existence of god" and "lacking belief regarding the existence of god" are not the same thing?

BTW: do you understand the statement "god exists"? In particular, do you understand the term "god"? If so, maybe you can explain what "god" means.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There is only a "dispute" if you can't get past semantics. The reason I say I have a lack of belief is because I don't want to come across as being assertive that there is no god. I simply lack belief; I don't actively disbelieve ... that would be ridiculous.
It's a semantic discussion, there is no "getting past" that.