• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Academically, I agree that the ideal situation would be a fair compromise as long as it did not have even the slightest, most remote chance of affecting our worship. But it will not happen. Not with the current polarization e see in American politics. the last 2 years have been the most partisan governmental years I have ever seen in a while.
It has already happened in 5 states.

Philosophically, I believe the acceptance of it as a "normal behavior" will see dire consequences in our society as a whole.
Really? like what?

btw, I believe the acceptance of LDS membership as a "normal behavior" will see dire consequences in our society as a whole.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Academically, I agree that the ideal situation would be a fair compromise as long as it did not have even the slightest, most remote chance of affecting our worship. But it will not happen. Not with the current polarization e see in American politics. the last 2 years have been the most partisan governmental years I have ever seen in a while.

Philosophically, I believe the acceptance of it as a "normal behavior" will see dire consequences in our society as a whole.

Ether 2 9-12

It is just one step closer to the fullness of iniquity in my book.

That is a different issue than gay marriage.

It's rather similar, actually.

I actually think the ideal situation can happen. It all depends on the leaders. We need people to stop taking extremes on both sides of the issue and come together in the middle.
I think if you look at the gay marriage laws that have been proposed, passed, or voted down, you will see that one side has consistently been extreme, and the other side has consistently been moderate and reasonable.

You would do well to remember the paranoid ramblings that LDS leaders offered as arguments against civil rights and desegregation, such as a speech delivered by Mark E. Peterson at Brigham Young University in 1954 (admittedly the documents are shown on an anti-mormon site, but the existence and contents of the speech are not disputed AFAIK):
"It is a good thing to understand exactly what the negro has in mind on this subject ... I would like to talk first of all about the negro and his civil rights.
I think I have read enough to give you an idea of what the Negro is after. He is not just seeking the opportunity of sitting down in a cafe where white people sit. He isn't just trying to ride on the same streetcar or the same Pullman car with white people. From this and other interviews I have read, it appears that the Negro seeks absorption with the white race. He will not be satisfied until he achieves it by intermarriage. That is his objective and we must face it. We must not allow our feelings to carry us away, nor must we feel so sorry for Negroes that we will open our arms and embrace them with everything we have.
"
So back then, as today, the civil rights movement was portrayed by the religious right as sinister and extreme, trying to impose its will on our way of life. You see, what "the Negro" really wants is to force his blackness into our pure, delightsome white race.

That despicable lie was useful for opposing equal rights for blacks. The same despicable lie is being used today: "the gay" doesn't really want equality, he really wants to force his gayness into our churches. Therefore, we must oppose moderate, reasonable proposals for LGBT equality.

madhatter said:
Academically, I agree that the ideal situation would be a fair compromise as long as it did not have even the slightest, most remote chance of affecting our worship.
Essentially the same arguments were used, successfully, to rally LDS opposition to desegregation and the civil rights movement. See above.

Shame on you!

dallas1125

Covert Operative
It is not a possibility. Same-sex marriage is legal in 5 states, and there have been no lawsuits. It would violate the Constitution. That recognition has been in the bills that have been proposed.
Its not gonna happen instantly. After it becomes legal in all 50 states I would be surprised if no lawsuits happened against churches over this.

Its not gonna happen instantly. After it becomes legal in all 50 states I would be surprised if no lawsuits happened against churches over this.

I doubt there are going to be lawsuits. In some of those states, gay marriage has been legalized for a couple of year (at least), that would give people plenty of time to file lawsuits, yet it hasn't happened yet. I wonder why......:rolleyes:

dallas1125

Covert Operative
I doubt there are going to be lawsuits. In some of those states, gay marriage has been legalized for a couple of year (at least), that would give people plenty of time to file lawsuits, yet it hasn't happened yet. I wonder why.....
Because they know if they push those lawsuits, it will hurt the chances of legalizing it in the rest of the states.

Because they know if they push those lawsuits, it will hurt the chances of legalizing it in the rest of the states.

Really? You really think that? Not sure how your logic follows, but people who are gay usually don't belong to church's who won't marry them or they don't ask their church's too.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
I think if you look at the gay marriage laws that have been proposed, passed, or voted down, you will see that one side has consistently been extreme, and the other side has consistently been moderate and reasonable.
Agreed, but am I coming off as extreme?

You would do well to remember the paranoid ramblings that LDS leaders offered as arguments against civil rights and desegregation, such as a speech delivered by Mark E. Peterson at Brigham Young University in 1954 (admittedly the documents are shown on an anti-mormon site, but the existence and contents of the speech are not disputed AFAIK)
Most speeches given are not official doctrines of the church and rather the personal convictions of those who gave it.

So back then, as today, the civil rights movement was portrayed by the religious right as sinister and extreme, trying to impose its will on our way of life. You see, what "the Negro" really wants is to force his blackness into our pure, delightsome white race.
Yes, I am critical of my churches stance on this issue. I dont think that the majority of people will start lawsuits but to say none is just as crazy as saying the majority will.

That despicable lie was useful for opposing equal rights for blacks. The same despicable lie is being used today: "the gay" doesn't really want equality, he really wants to force his gayness into our churches. Therefore, we must oppose moderate, reasonable proposals for LGBT equality.
Yes, but are you denying the probability that a minority will start lawsuits over it?

Most speeches given are not official doctrines of the church and rather the personal convictions of those who gave it.

What a cop-out.

You can say that to anything anybody in the LDS Church says whether you agree with it or not. So did the prophets just mess up with black and the priesthood? It was never really official doctrine, was it? This answer is used whenever a Mormon doesn't want to get into it and actually admit that things that the leaders say are practiced whether they are doctrine or not.

dallas1125

Covert Operative
What a cop-out.

You can say that to anything anybody in the LDS Church says whether you agree with it or not. So did the prophets just mess up with black and the priesthood? It was never really official doctrine, was it? This answer is used whenever a Mormon doesn't want to get into it and actually admit that things that the leaders say are practiced whether they are doctrine or not.
Back then there were reasons for it. Your also forgetting the fact that some blacks had the priesthood too.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
You can say that to anything anybody in the LDS Church says whether you agree with it or not.
Sure you can, but it doesn't make it true. Official doctrine is comprised solely of what is contained in the Standard Works and in statements issued by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve collectively (e.g. the Proclamation on the Family). You may not like it, but that's how it is.

So did the prophets just mess up with black and the priesthood? It was never really official doctrine, was it?
This is so far off topic that it doesn't even deserve an answer.

This answer is used whenever a Mormon doesn't want to get into it and actually admit that things that the leaders say are practiced whether they are doctrine or not.
Actually, there is doctrine and there are policies and procedures. There is a difference between them. Doctrines never change. Policies and procedures can and do -- fortunately. You evidently don't make a distinction. That's unfortunate but not surprising. The Church leadership has made a lot of mistakes over the past 181 years, as is the case in every other organized religion in the world.

My personal feelings (and it sounds like Dallas is with me on this) is that the LDS leadership was wrong in asking the members of the Church to do whatever they could to support Proposition 8. I have stated on multiple occasions that while I do not personally believe that God approves of homosexual intimacy, I am against any laws that would deny any segment of society their civil rights. I'm totally willing to leave matters of morality in God's hands. That puts me at odds with an LDS Church policy (denying same-sex marriages) but it does not put me at odds with LDS Church doctrine (believing that homosexual intimacy is sinful).

madhatter85

Transhumanist