• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So? doesn't change the fact that you're still in a homosexual relationship.
So what.
Doesn't change the fact that you have not presented anything about homosexuality that shows it to be inferior to heterosexuality.
Nor have you presented anything against homosexuality that does not also apply to heterosexuality.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I am opposed to the LDS Church because it promotes and sanctions immorality. In particular, it specializes in brain-washing little children to believe lies like this.
If this is true then please explain my existence. I grew up in the Church.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So, as I have now asked twice, for the Mormons in this thread, do any of you know any gay families at all? That includes you, idea, Mr. Evade and Dissemble. Do you know any kids with gay parents?

Yes, I know gay families. And, I'm not opposed to gay marriage and will not be voting for the new definition this November in California.

Now how about you? Are you ready to stop stereotyping Mormons?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
you know what this sounds like to me?

"I know you are! but what am I?"

3rd grade antics dont work in the real world babe.
It's an attempt, usually vain, to try to get you to see how illogical your position is by applying it to you so you can see it from the other side.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If this is true then please explain my existence. I grew up in the Church.
Exactly. Since you were a small child, you've been brainwashed to believe things that have no basis in evidence. IMO this is immoral. Yet, unlike you, I defend and promote Mormons right to do this, because I don't believe in imposing my morality on you.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes, I know gay families. And, I'm not opposed to gay marriage and will not be voting for the new definition this November in California.
Excellent. btw, these two facts may be related.

Hmmm, I'll think about it. May depend on how many of them submit posts arguing that my family is immoral and should be illegal. So far we're at one.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I'm sure she'd be ready as soon as all of the other Mormons on this thread and others are ready to stop stereotyping homosexuals.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes, DisneyMan, why aren't you taking issue with all your fellow Mormons who have called me immoral, degenerate, and so forth?

UnTheist

Exactly. Since you were a small child, you've been brainwashed to believe things that have no basis in evidence. IMO this is immoral. Yet, unlike you, I defend and promote Mormons right to do this, because I don't believe in imposing my morality on you.
If nobody was imposing their morality on anyone, wouldn't that be Anarchy?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Not at all. IMO there needs to be society, government and law. All of that should be based on what we share and need to share to function, which is not to be violent toward each other, not to steal from each other, and stuff like that. It doesn't need to intrude into people's private religious--or sexual--lives. e.g. Some people think eating pork is a huge sin. O.K., cool. Don't eat pork. You don't have to make it illegal. There is a huge distinction between that and a prohibition against bopping other people over the head.

In the same way, if you think but sex is a huge sin or disgusting or whatever, don't have it. You don't have to make it illegal. If you think same-sex marriage is wrong, don't marry someone of the same sex. You don't have to make me conform to your morality.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that one of the things that should be illegal is an attempt to force other people to conform to your morality in areas that should be private, such as faith, political views, opinions, and sexuality.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

As Autodidact got into, the only morality that should be imposed on society should be the question of harm. Does this or that action harm anyone detectably and unnecessarily? If it does, then it's wrong. If it doesn't, it isn't wrong. So, what people do in their private lives, as long as it doesn't harm anyone, should be off-limits for public morality imposition.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Well there are basic common sense ethics, such as do not kill, do not steal, etc. (i.e. actions that actually impact others) that are necessary to keep a society in tact and protect our to rights. They're based on actual real world cause and effect/action and reaction, and not worthless superstitions and voodoo.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
3rd grade antics dont work in the real world babe.
Funny, if anyone has been resorting to such tactics, it would be you and your lot. On top of that you all have been acting like a wind-up automatons. Brainwashing can do that to a kid. Which is why Mormonism is immoral.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

Autodidact said:
Hmmm, I'll think about it. May depend on how many of them submit posts arguing that my family is immoral and should be illegal. So far we're at one.
Anyone want to help her take her foot out of her mouth before I have to do it?