• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learn how to diferenciate between MYTH and LEGEND

Orbit

I'm a planet
A myth, you say, is not an "untrue story"? It's a story that's true? The opposite of untrue is true.

If you look in the dictionary, a "myth" has more than one definition, depending on context. In the religious or folklore context, a myth is a symbolic cultural story, not something that is commonly believed but not true, like "Women are more emotional". In the religious and folklore context, the important thing about the story (myth) in question is not the demonstrable fact of its literal truth or untruth, but its symbolic meaning.

Edited to add: Maybe this analogy will make it clearer. Are you familiar with Aesop's fables? One of the dictionary definitions of "fable" is something which is not true. But in the context of folklore, Aesop's fables are stories that present important moral lessons; whether or not the story contains talking rabbits is beside the point.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The entirety of the Humanities. Social Science is next. Soon the university will consist of Business majors and STEM majors.
Yeah, I work with STEM majors. They're awesome and everything, but sciences without soul (aka, humanities - the study of what makes is human) is just... like, gross. Most of the kids get that, but then sometimes I get this kid in my office like I had today who more or less said "I don't get why we are studying this, there's no money to be made from it." :grimacing:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
#notallatheists

Seriously, though, when making a point it helps to not insult entire groups of people in the process. And also animals. Gods forbid the human animal is driven by emotions as neither being an animal nor having emotions is bad. I'll speak from whatever animal emotional organ I darned well please, thanks.

:boar:

Personally, I'm more on board with folks learning more about the different types of knowledge just in general. It isn't taught in schools (or at least it wasn't a couple decades ago) kinda like how philosophy in general is more or less ignored in public education. It's unfortunate, but not a trend I see going away any time soon. Even the University is becoming corrupted these days with very important bodies of knowledge being diluted down and discarded in the name of the all-mighty Dollar. It's a sad time to work in education in the United States.
It's interesting that when children are taught in school, they may (I say may) instinctively know what is fiction and what may NOT be fiction. I remember reading simple books when learning to read about Dick and Jane. I knew they were not real persons. Nobody had to tell me. If a person were to ask, 'well, how do you KNOW they weren't real persons," I'd think the questioner is out of his mind. Unless he proved to me they were real persons. When I read about Thomas Edison I knew he was a real person. One reason is because I was told he was a real person with inventions, dates, and more history, and I believed it.

YoursTrue

If you look in the dictionary, a "myth" has more than one definition, depending on context. In the religious or folklore context, a myth is a symbolic cultural story, not something that is commonly believed but not true, like "Women are more emotional". In the religious and folklore context, the important thing about the story (myth) in question is not the demonstrable fact of its literal truth or untruth, but its symbolic meaning.

Edited to add: Maybe this analogy will make it clearer. Are you familiar with Aesop's fables? One of the dictionary definitions of "fable" is something which is not true. But in the context of folklore, Aesop's fables are stories that present important moral lessons; whether or not the story contains talking rabbits is beside the point.
Just looking at Aesop's fables, one would/should know they are fables. Anyway, they never appealed to me as something I could learn from.

YoursTrue

Different definitions of myth doesn't really matter. It means it's not true.

ppp

MYTH and LEGEND are not the same.

Atheists use the word "myth" to insult religious beliefs. Most of the time they don't use properly that term because they are ignorant of what a myth is.

The main differences between myth and legend are determined by the inclusion of a specific timeframe and verifiable historical information within the story. Legends can be verified as true stories to the extent that knowledge of the historical facts increases over time. For example, some biblical characters and events were considered legends until archaeological documents were discovered that confirmed them as historical.

Before calling "myth" any Biblical story, learn the truth about the information it includes; do not "speak from the liver" (only driven by animal emotions).
I, an atheist, use "myth" to mean the body of stories and beliefs that a culture uses to establish its cultural identity and sense of place in the world. Myths may be true, false, not true, or some combination thereof. Your belief that atheists necessarily use the term as an insult is one of the myths of your culture. A false myth. And a bigoted one.

Moreover, your terminology is screwy. Legends can often not be verified. The historicity behind the legends of King Arthur, Robin Hood and Boudicca are entirely speculative.

Thirdly, establishing the existence of a person or place that was legend does not establish the legend associated with that person or place. Finding Troy dd not establish the goddess Athena wandering the battlefield. Finding the bones of Richard III does not established his legendary villainy.

YoursTrue

In a myth, there can be cultural truths that come out of a donkey's mouth. It is both true (cultural truth) and false (talking donkeys don't exist).
It doesn't matter if it's called a cultural truth. It's like saying a three-leafed clover is culturally true for certain cultures. Or that certain symbols are true, culturally speaking that is. Bye for now, take care.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter if it's called a cultural truth. It's like saying a three-leafed clover is culturally true for certain cultures. Or that certain symbols are true, culturally speaking that is. Bye for now, take care.
I think it's rather interesting to see how your black and white type of reasoning gets exposed here.

There are different kinds of "true" when it comes to story telling.
A story can be literally true.
A story can also be completely made up, but purposed to teach a truth about for example the human condition / psychology / morality, etc.

Such a story was never meant to be "literally true", when its purposes is to convey a moral truth or a psychological truth.
To then debate the "literal truth" of such a story, is simply completely missing the point of it.

Ironically, I can read the myths of the bible and see / understand the "truth" it's trying to convey concerning the human condition / morality / psychology.
I can see the cultural value. Just like I can do the same with the myths of the greek gods.

Literalists however, are so irrationally hung up on the "literal" part of the story that they in fact also completely seem to miss the actual message these stories contain.

Heyo

Veteran Member
MYTH and LEGEND are not the same.

Atheists use the word "myth" to insult religious beliefs. Most of the time they don't use properly that term because they are ignorant of what a myth is.

The main differences between myth and legend are determined by the inclusion of a specific timeframe and verifiable historical information within the story. Legends can be verified as true stories to the extent that knowledge of the historical facts increases over time. For example, some biblical characters and events were considered legends until archaeological documents were discovered that confirmed them as historical.

Before calling "myth" any Biblical story, learn the truth about the information it includes; do not "speak from the liver" (only driven by animal emotions).
Don't you think you should first learn yourself what is what before you try to teach others? And if you did your homework, can you please show it?

Watchmen

Premium Member
My thread is not about saying a story is true or false ... My topic is about calling something a "myth", a term commonly abused by atheists.

PS: The Bible is a compendium of narrations, not just a single "story".
Those “narrations” are myths.

Eli G

So, it looks like some people don't understand (or don't mind) the differences between myth and legend.

Although some atheists do not believe it, there is also a lot of ignorance among them as well as among religious people... I only try to help from time to time with some pertinent information.

Unfortunately, some people don't understand what it means to be informed, even though they are very good at pointless arguments.

Since I did my homework about learning those differences and resuming them for others here in a very simple way, maybe someone else does his homework and share what are the differences he'll learn and help those ignorant lovers of pointless arguments.

Have a nice weekend. :)