• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learn how to diferenciate between MYTH and LEGEND

Eli G

I'm not competing with you; thinking that is the worst mistake that atheists make when they try to dialogue with believers. Some, less aggressive, will realize that believers are reasonable people.

Thanks for your contributions to the topic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And you haven't realized that I ignore you because I'm not interested in maintaining any dialogue with you?

PS: Have an excellent rest of the weekend.
That was it.
That is only because you know that you are wrong. I know that you do not like it but by the standards you set up yourself Adam and Eve, Moses and Noah are all mythical. It appears that you have no grounds for complaint.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
MYTH and LEGEND are not the same.

Atheists use the word "myth" to insult religious beliefs. Most of the time they don't use properly that term because they are ignorant of what a myth is.

The main differences between myth and legend are determined by the inclusion of a specific timeframe and verifiable historical information within the story. Legends can be verified as true stories to the extent that knowledge of the historical facts increases over time. For example, some biblical characters and events were considered legends until archaeological documents were discovered that confirmed them as historical.

Before calling "myth" any Biblical story, learn the truth about the information it includes; do not "speak from the liver" (only driven by animal emotions).
We know that there was a Troy. We know that it was destroyed. Does that confirm that Achilles was nearly immortal? Does that confirm that members of the Greek pantheon are true?

Are they myth or legend? I'm just curious as to where you stand on this.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists use the word "myth" to insult religious beliefs.
In all my years, I've never seen a belief feel insulted.

Most of the time they don't use properly that term because they are ignorant of what a myth is.
I doubt it.

Before calling "myth" any Biblical story, learn the truth about the information it includes; do not "speak from the liver" (only driven by animal emotions).
Before shoving the Biblical story in the face of an atheist, learn that a consequence may be having that story called a myth.

Eli G

Did you know that all post-Adam biblical stories are well placed in time following a natural chronology that can be reconstructed from the information contained in the books of the Bible and most of them (if not each one and all) contains elements that can be verified somehow by secular knowledge obtained by totally different means?

Dao Hao Now

Did you know that all post-Adam biblical stories are well placed in time following a natural chronology that can be reconstructed from the information contained in the books of the Bible and most of them (if not each one and all) contains elements that can be verified somehow by secular knowledge obtained by totally different means?
Did you know you’re pulling that straight out of the ol’ wazoo?
Once again, cite your source.

Let me show you how it’s done.

The Genesis creation narrative is the creation myth of both Judaism and Christianity. The narrative is made up of two stories, roughly equivalent to the first two chapters of the Book of Genesis.

The authors of the Hebrew creation narrative borrowed themes from Mesopotamian mythology, but adapted them to their unique belief in one God. The first major comprehensive draft of the Pentateuch (the series of five books which begins with Genesis and ends with Deuteronomy) is thought to have been composed in the late 7th or the 6th century BCE (the Jahwist source) and was later expanded by other authors (the Priestly source) into a work very like Genesis as known today.

Eli G

What I said is easily demonstrable, and does not even need further explanation... You deniers and lovers of empty discussions want to discuss everything and are incapable of understanding or accepting anything. I don't like to waste time in boring arguments with people who talk to hear themselves talking... It's a principle I learned from the Word of God:

Titus 3:9 But have nothing to do with foolish arguments and genealogies and disputes and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.

Wise, isn't it? It frees me of a lot of toxic people who do nothing more that argue about everything.

1 Tim. 1:3 (...) command certain ones not to teach different doctrine, 4 nor to pay attention to false stories and to genealogies. Such things end up in nothing useful but merely give rise to speculations rather than providing anything from God in connection with faith. 5 Really, the objective of this instruction is love out of a clean heart and out of a good conscience and out of faith without hypocrisy. 6 By deviating from these things, some have been turned aside to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of law, but they do not understand either the things they are saying or the things they insist on so strongly.

Astrophile

Atheists use the word "myth" to insult religious beliefs. Most of the time they don't use properly that term because they are ignorant of what a myth is.

The main differences between myth and legend are determined by the inclusion of a specific timeframe and verifiable historical information within the story. Legends can be verified as true stories to the extent that knowledge of the historical facts increases over time. For example, some biblical characters and events were considered legends until archaeological documents were discovered that confirmed them as historical.

You haven't given your definition of a myth. Until you do that, we can't say whether any part of the Bible is a myth or not.

Eli G

I already talked, and others also, about the differences between myth and legend.

That is more than enough as far as my purpose on this topic is concerned: one should not be confused with the other. :)

Dao Hao Now

What I said is easily demonstrable, and does not even need further explanation... You deniers and lovers of empty discussions want to discuss everything and are incapable of understanding or accepting anything. I don't like to waste time in boring arguments with people who talk to hear themselves talking... It's a principle I learned from the Word of God:

Titus 3:9 But have nothing to do with foolish arguments and genealogies and disputes and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile.

Wise, isn't it? It frees me of a lot of toxic people who do nothing more that argue about everything.

1 Tim. 1:3 (...) command certain ones not to teach different doctrine, 4 nor to pay attention to false stories and to genealogies. Such things end up in nothing useful but merely give rise to speculations rather than providing anything from God in connection with faith. 5 Really, the objective of this instruction is love out of a clean heart and out of a good conscience and out of faith without hypocrisy. 6 By deviating from these things, some have been turned aside to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of law, but they do not understand either the things they are saying or the things they insist on so strongly.
That’s good advice……
Perhaps you should heed it?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Can you be specific? That a book follows a "natural chronology" doesn't help you at all. So does the Harry Potter series. And what about the clearly mythical stories, and that does include the Adam and Eve strories.

Heyo

Veteran Member

And yet, here you are, on an open debate forum called "Science and Religion". Who did you expect to meet here?

When you want to preach to the quire, there are DIRs for that. It would be wise to take your sermon there. No critically thinking scientists will follow you there.

gnostic

The Lost One

I am agnostic, not an atheist, but I have to question your motive of blaming atheists.

For one, atheists didn't create or compose myths, theists did.

Not just the Bible, but in other ancient religions, traditional narratives developed were often based on their respective beliefs & cultures, so myths are also cultural narratives that have specific ties to location of ancient cultures or civilisations.

How is that any different from Abrahamic religions?

Then there are different genre of myths, whether they be creation narratives, deity narratives, hero (or demi-god) narratives, or foundation narratives. What each of these genre in myths have in common, are supernatural elements, whether it be
  • supernatural beings (eg gods, angels, demons, demi-god, giants, etc),
  • or supernatural creatures (eg talking serpent, talking donkey, flying horse, Gorgon Medusa, Minotaur, dragon, the Revelation Two Beasts, etc),
  • or supernatural objects,
  • or supernatural places (eg heaven, hell, Olympus, Tartarus, Valhalla, etc),
  • or supernatural events (eg creation, magic, miracles, etc).

Legends involved possibly historical persons, whose stories that get distorted over time, often they have been greatly embellished.

There may be elements of historicity of that person, but sometimes it hard to distinguish history from legend.

The lines between myths and legends can also be blurry.

Jesus would fall under the category of legend, there are hardly anything historical in the gospels, plus there are also some mythological elements in the gospel, such as his supposedly miraculous birth, as being "the son of God", which is no different from demigods, like Perseus, Heracles (Hercules), Achilles, Helen of Sparta, Gilgamesh, etc.

In the Epic of Gilgamesh, he is often referred to as being 2-part god, 1-part human. It may or may not be true, that there is a real Sumerian king of Uruk, by the name of Bilgames, whose reign flourishing during the 27th century, so you might call the epic "legend", however there are too many mythological elements, so the epic is usually classified as myth.

As to the Bible, from Adam to Solomon, they are all mythological characters, as there are no contemporary & independent sources that can verify any of the events that narrated these characters.

Plus, much of their biblical stories were composed during the Babylonian Exile in the 6th century BCE, so definitely not eyewitness accounts to any of these narratives.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

You're in the wrong place then. It seems you just want to preach without anyone questioning anything you say.

Watchmen

Premium Member
So, it looks like some people don't understand (or don't mind) the differences between myth and legend.

Although some atheists do not believe it, there is also a lot of ignorance among them as well as among religious people... I only try to help from time to time with some pertinent information.

Unfortunately, some people don't understand what it means to be informed, even though they are very good at pointless arguments.

Since I did my homework about learning those differences and resuming them for others here in a very simple way, maybe someone else does his homework and share what are the differences he'll learn and help those ignorant lovers of pointless arguments.

Have a nice weekend. :)
Oh we know the difference. The problem is you refuse to apply the common definitions of these words and twist them to suit your own beliefs.