• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebanon's "Act of War"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deut 13:1

sindbad5 said:
to make palastinian life more misrable
This betrays your true feelings on the matter. Anything but a full Israeli withdrawal from the MIDDLE EAST will be Israel making the life of the Palastinian's miserable. Withdrawal from Gaza left them with too little land, withdrawal from West Bank will leave them with bantustans, etc etc etc.

Let's look at something:
First rocket fire from Gaza to Israel: February 2002. First fatalities: September 2004 (source). First time Israel has used artillery in response: September 2005 (source).

croak

Trickster
Thought I'd add something:

March 1978: Israel invades to stop Palestinian attacks
1982: Full-scale invasion; Israel occupies Beirut; pro-Israel militias massacre Palestinian refugees
May 1983: Israel pulls back, but keeps "security zone"
February 1992: Israeli air strike kills Hezbollah leader
1996: Israel launches "Grapes of Wrath" raids on Hezbollah; 100 civilians die under Israeli shelling of UN base at Qana
May 2000: Israel withdraws troops from Lebanon
January 2004: Prisoners-bodies swap agreed between Hezbollah and Israel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5178058.stm

Some alternate views: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5176582.stm
Second person, if I'm not mistaken, is my vice principal.:eek:

kai

ragamuffin
RearingArabian said:
Thought I'd add something:

March 1978: Israel invades to stop Palestinian attacks
1982: Full-scale invasion; Israel occupies Beirut; pro-Israel militias massacre Palestinian refugees
May 1983: Israel pulls back, but keeps "security zone"
February 1992: Israeli air strike kills Hezbollah leader
1996: Israel launches "Grapes of Wrath" raids on Hezbollah; 100 civilians die under Israeli shelling of UN base at Qana
May 2000: Israel withdraws troops from Lebanon
January 2004: Prisoners-bodies swap agreed between Hezbollah and Israel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5178058.stm

Some alternate views: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5176582.stm
Second person, if I'm not mistaken, is my vice principal.:eek:

Don't tickle a sleeping tiger, because you will be eaten."

A

angellous_evangellous

Is it possible to balance this sentiment:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5176582.stm
The public is utterly fed up with this. We thought this violence was behind us

With something I read earlier today...

That the Lebanon government had been refusing to control Hezbollah's activities along its border with Israel? The refusal to contol such a violent organization is an invitation to violence. Is Lebanon a democracy?

evearael

I think Hezbollah's action are completely out of line. They are acting independently of the Lebanese government and have no right to incite this violence against Israel.
Initially, I thought Israel's reactions in destroying Hezbollah positions and escape routes were appropriate. But the killing of civilians and the bombing of civilian installations, including the airport, is completely unjustified and excessive.
I expect it to get worse.
Hezbollah's demands are ridiculous and I don't think they will be met. Lebanon will be reduced to rubble before these prisoners are returned.
I tend to agree with this analysis. Hezbollah is dragging Lebanon into war and innocent Lebanese civilians are paying for it. They knew full well there would be no prisoner swap and they did it anyway. The dangerous thing is that neither Hezbollah or Israel is the type to back down. If there is a solution to this that can let both sides save face, I hope they find it soon. I despise the loss of innocents regardless of nationality.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Israel's caught between a rock and crap place....

do nothing, seem weak and open the door for more kidnappings and terrorist actions...
react and **** of the world and still have to deal w/ terrorism...

the only thing israel can do right now is defend herself and her people.

honestly......when i was there this week i had no idea this stuff was going on!:areyoucra

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
ooh...this is my first post for a long time
jewscout said:
Israel's caught between a rock and crap place....

do nothing, seem weak and open the door for more kidnappings and terrorist actions...
react and **** of the world and still have to deal w/ terrorism...

the only thing israel can do right now is defend herself and her people.

honestly......when i was there this week i had no idea this stuff was going on!:areyoucra
hi jewscout....i see u decided to be jewish.....good luck anyway..

about ur post, it makes me really wonder how u people got the idea that Israel is defending its people rather than invading a country!!

It's obviously a war, a clear war declared for no sensible reason...Israel was just waiting for any flame to start the whole fire...

Im not shy to say that im wz Hizbullah, and im not kiddin when i say that almost all the arabado agree wz them...

Hizbullah is now being the only force that is defending the Lebanon land...Imagine if Hizbullah wasnt there, Lebanon would be one of the Israelian lands simply, and after 50 years lebanon people who will be trying to defend their lands will gonna be terrorists!!

i got really nervous when i read than half million israelian people are sleeping out of their homes tonight....and that is supposed to bother me?!!...ofcourse no!
you know why?....it's not cuz im a terrorist, or that i hate jews, no, but because there is a complete nation living in the streets and in tents for more than half a century, and that seemd to be alright, while when it came to israelians, Bush must say his "brave" words that (as usuall), arabs are terrorists!!

we are sick of this....being hit and bombed every day, tens of people dieing, children, women, old people, no matter, we are all terrosrists!!!
this is terrorism, what Israel doin there..

today, i read about a whole family killed under the last strike of Israel in Gaza, a family of 9 people containing children and women, and as usual Israelian government comented that that was selfdefending...25 palastenian citizens were killed today only due to the Israelian attack....and that is everyday's scenario....

Can anybody explain why is that happening?!!
and please try to find another sensible expresion rather than "defending itself"...

i wonder more and more that our right to defend ourselves is forbidden, and we are supposed to shut up and keep watching scilentley while f-16 s are hitting our people!!

anyway....this is a war, that israel can only stop it now....it's uneven to compare old few missiles with high developled air forces that are isolating a whole country right now, for no reason!!

nutshell

A Palestinian state needs to be created, but Hamas and now Lebanon are making that impossible. Israel showed good faith when they dragged their own citizens out of Gaza at gunpoint. That should have been the first step towards a Palestinian State.

Israel was provoked and they are responding. Don't blame them for protecting their own.

As for why Israel took out the aiports even though Lebanon uses helicopters...pretty simple, really. It prevents Syria and Iran from sending assistance to Lebanon. Smart move on Israel's part, IMO.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
EiNsTeiN said:
about It's obviously a war, a clear war declared for no sensible reason...
... and I sincerely hope that the irresponsible, antisemitic lunatics who instigated it suffer a crushing and humiliating defeat.

Fluffy

A fool
As for why Israel took out the aiports even though Lebanon uses helicopters...pretty simple, really. It prevents Syria and Iran from sending assistance to Lebanon. Smart move on Israel's part, IMO.

Now I would like to see Israel all ready to send in aid to those who are suffering to show that they really are simply trying to defend themselves and any suffering they do cause is an unfortunate but necessary step in that defence. Especially since they have prevented this from coming in by plane.

Ody

Aren't the effects of propaganda great?

Of course, hezbollah is totally the defenders of Lebanon, thats why they continously goad Israel into war! All defenders target civilians to defend thier homeland!

Sorry, I'm in a bitter mood today.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Fluffy said:
Now I would like to see Israel all ready to send in aid to those who are suffering to show that they really are simply trying to defend themselves and any suffering they do cause is an unfortunate but necessary step in that defence. Especially since they have prevented this from coming in by plane.

There is such a thing as enemies though. :)

Fluffy

A fool
There is such a thing as enemies though. :)

And they are not a justifiable thing to have. I will not support Israel if they demonstrate any sort of need for revenge or punishment in their actions.

Besides, it is not in Israel's best interest to keep enemies. Actually its not in anyone's best interests to keep enemies. So Israel needs to do what it needs to and make every possible effort to limit suffering and pay reperations for suffering they do cause. They even need to help out the neighbouring countries even when Israel is not the cause of the suffering. Random acts of kindness whilst firmly and decisively dealing with terroism (even if it means invasion) seems like the best course forward now.

nutshell

Fluffy said:
And they are a justifiable thing to have. I will not support Israel if they demonstrate any sort of need for revenge or punishment in their actions.

Besides, it is not in Israel's best interest to keep enemies. Actually its not in anyone's best interests to keep enemies. So Israel needs to do what it needs to and make every possible effort to limit suffering and pay reperations for suffering they do cause. They even need to help out the neighbouring countries even when Israel is not the cause of the suffering. Random acts of kindness whilst firmly and decisively dealing with terroism (even if it means invasion) seems like the best course forward now.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like a bunch of idealistic B.S. No offence intended, but why dish out random acts of kindness to neighbors that want to wipe you from the face of the earth (and some of Israel's neighbors have publicaly stated this)? Israel has proven time and again that it can withstand an assault from all the Muslim nations combined. Perhaps Israel's neighbors should take this into account and back off. Only then will Israel be comfortable with the creation of a Palestinian state (and I'm not saying Israel's comfort is required for such a state, but it would make the whole process a lot easier).

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Fluffy said:
And they are not a justifiable thing to have. I will not support Israel if they demonstrate any sort of need for revenge or punishment in their actions.

Well, historically speaking, nations that refuse to defeat their enemies are typically defeated by them.

Fluffy

A fool
I'm sorry, but that sounds like a bunch of idealistic B.S. No offence intended, but why dish out random acts of kindness to neighbors that want to wipe you from the face of the earth (and some of Israel's neighbors have publicaly stated this)?

None taken because... well I am idealistic lol :). However, the idea is that by helping out these other states irregardless of the fact that terrorists from these countries are threatening Israel (afterall its not the fault of the general populace), Israel might gain some support from your average Joe and therefore seriously threaten the powerbase of the terrorists.

The alternative appears to be genocide because I think if Israel continues to defend itself by simply wiping out the current terrorists, they will simply create more terrorists. Israel needs to wipe out the current terrorists whilst simultaneously attempting to stem the inflow of new terrorists.

Well, historically speaking, nations that refuse to defeat their enemies are typically defeated by them.

You can win a conflict without defeating your enemy as long as you wish nothing more than you already have other than the conflict's end because you can diffuse the conflict instead.

nutshell

Fluffy said:
None taken because... well I am idealistic lol :). However, the idea is that by helping out these other states irregardless of the fact that terrorists from these countries are threatening Israel (afterall its not the fault of the general populace), Israel might gain some support from your average Joe and therefore seriously threaten the powerbase of the terrorists.

The alternative appears to be genocide because I think if Israel continues to defend itself by simply wiping out the current terrorists, they will simply create more terrorists. Israel needs to wipe out the current terrorists whilst simultaneously attempting to stem the inflow of new terrorists.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think the countries these terrorists are coming from need to do more to wipe out their own terrorists. This won't seem to happen, however, because terrorism allows nations opposed to Israel to attack Jews in secret while publically stating a position of support.

Fluffy

A fool
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think the countries these terrorists are coming from need to do more to wipe out their own terrorists. This won't seem to happen, however, because terrorism allows nations opposed to Israel to attack Jews in secret while publically stating a position of support.

Well I definitely agree with you there. But hoping for that is a bit too idealistic for me ;). Seriously, I can't see these states doing that... I have more faith in Israel, however.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Fluffy said:
Well I definitely agree with you there. But hoping for that is a bit too idealistic for me ;). Seriously, I can't see these states doing that... I have more faith in Israel, however.

But isn't that the problem? Why are we expecting more out of Israel than we do Syria, Lebanon, Iran, and the Palestinians?

Status
Not open for further replies.