• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LEFTISTS fear opposing views, a prime example is provided

LeftyLen

I note those on the LEFT are absolutely terrified of this short video. Mr. Maher is not a conservative but a moderate liberal, so his position is more credible. He is attacked by both the left and right. As on the far right I have actually seen fundamentalists run out of museums with fossils- in the same way LEFTISTS run from differing views. If they cannot cancel others' views, they, like fundamentalists run. This short video a prime example of leftist fear. bill mahar woke - Search Videos

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I note those on the LEFT are absolutely terrified of this short video. Mr. Maher is not a conservative but a moderate liberal, so his position is more credible. He is attacked by both the left and right. As on the far right I have actually seen fundamentalists run out of museums with fossils- in the same way LEFTISTS run from differing views. If they cannot cancel others' views, they, like fundamentalists run. This short video a prime example of leftist fear. bill mahar woke - Search Videos

I agree with Bill on some issues. But he is very ignorant and intolerant on others. Not impressed with him overall and BTW he is one of the unfunniest comedians I have ever seen (and he has a team of writers that help with his monologue).

Last edited:

LeftyLen

I agree with Bill on some issues. But is very ignorant and intoleramt on others. Not impressed with him overall and BTW he is one of the unfunniest comedians I have ever seen (and he has a team of writers that help with his monologue).
Really a non-sequitur. As to the commentary on the video, the leftists are terrified.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In many ways, Maher is correct. I've been speaking about human nature in these forums for years, and although I consider myself a classic sort of liberal, I do not try to pretend that we can make humans give up their biases. I do not pretend that we don't, each in our way way, try to satisfy our own needs to the best of our ability -- and that we sometimes do so at the expense of others. We are not programmed like social insects -- or the Borg -- so that our own self-interest doesn't exist -- it does, and informs much that we do.

I'm not far left, although I am definitely on the left side of the line (maybe 3 out of 10 lefty), and I'm certainly not an idealogue. I hate "cancel culture," and have strongly objected to removing statues and renaming schools and the like simply because we can't accept that our ancestors lived in their own culture, and can't be expected to reflect the attitudes of ours, which they couldn't even have contemplated.

I also know that we can't change other people. I'm gay, and I'm always going to be gay. You can make it illegal, or you can shun me for it, but it's not going to change who I am. We have to admit that although we'd like to give everybody the chance to attain a PhD, not everybody has the ability to get there, or even to a lower-level college or university degree. And yet, that's no reason not to help them, if we can, reach for the best they're able to achieve.

Maher was, of course, perfectly correct about the biggest problem with communism -- you simply can't get people to stop wanting not only what their neighbour has, but even (God Forbid!) to outshine their neighbour -- don't keep up with the Joneses, go them one better!

But this is a problem on both sides, not just left. The right really does think that you can create a society in which everybody marries the girl next door and has 2 1/2 kids and a couple of pets, go to church every Sunday and never, ever cheat on their spouse. Well, too bad, you can't, and for trying to do so by force, they deserve the dunce cap. And the left really does think you can make everyone "equal" by fiat -- that a person born physically male who "identifies" as female is certainly going to have developed characteristics, due to nothing more nefarious than the hormones their genes decided they produce more of, that make it unfair for them to compete against a person born with physically female who produces different hormones.

To that last point, which is a matter in much contention these days, I think we have to acknowledge that, with the best will in the world, we simply cannot fix everything, and that while we can make some allowances, it must surely be wrong to make allowances that permit others to be unfairly out-advantaged.

Yes, that's something we all need -- both left and right: to humility to know that we can't make everything right, and that we have no right to make demands of other people that they cannot fulfill.

Last edited:

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there

I note that those on the RIGHT often live in an alternate reality.

I'm a daily visitor to a large, busy, long-time progressive forum where Bill Maher clips are posted regularly. In fact, I did a search just on Bill Maher thread titles for the past year and there are 100 threads. Out of 365 days, that's a pretty impressive showing!

Some members love him for various reasons, he annoys others greatly for various reasons, and some don't care one way or the other, again for various reasons. I know this because I read what they have to say.

It may be hard for you to envision the thriving ecosystem outside the conservative bubble, but I encourage you to try.

I did - and it was a revelation, a life-changing revelation. Give it a try, and good luck to you!