• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

legalization of Marijuana

what should be done?

• Legalize it! Go NORML!

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Decriminalize it. No more than a speeding ticket.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • only for medicinal uses

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Come on didn't you see Reefer Madness? It's evil! arrest all hippies!

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Driving after using cannabis:

• Means you take longer to respond.
  • Alters your distance and time perception.
  • Lowers your concentration, coordination, alertness and ability to react.
  • Narrows or blurs your field of vision.
Yeah, but if the person is moving slower in the first place, then would this not compensate for slow reaction time?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
EnhancedSpirit said:
Yeah, but if the person is moving slower in the first place, then would this not compensate for slow reaction time?
Possibly. Assuming, of course, that the person's concentration, coordination, distance and time perception are not affected, and their field of vision is clear. If not, then it all adds up to an accident waiting to happen, no matter how slowly they're driving.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
True, but for that matter, a person on a cell phone, completely sober, can cause an accident, so should cell phones be illegal. And how about eating while you are driving? Maybe we should just make cars illegal, cause people are killled in car accidents everyday, sober, and not.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
EnhancedSpirit said:
True, but for that matter, a person on a cell phone, completely sober, can cause an accident, so should cell phones be illegal. And how about eating while you are driving? Maybe we should just make cars illegal, cause people are killled in car accidents everyday, sober, and not.
Actually, talking on a cell phone while driving attracts rather large fines and demerit points in Australia and it isn't legal to eat whilst driving either, though that isn't as hugely enforced as it could be.
Are you people really so behind in your laws that they still let you do this crap?:tsk:

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
We spend a lot of energy fighting the law makers. A lot of us believe it should be up to us to govern ourselves. We have seatbelt laws, and helmet laws. They have talked about passing laws about cell phones.

Truth is no matter how many laws are passed, if you get a 1000 pound vehicle going 50 miles an hour, you have potential for disaster, but that is getting off the subject.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Well, aren't you the lucky one. :areyoucra My ex was "mellow" sometimes too - but that didn't stop him from being an aggressive, violent c*** when he didn't get his own way, either. He woke up with a cone (or three), he smoked pot for most of the day, and then had a few more cones before he could sleep at night. And he claimed he only smoked because it made him "mellow". Bull****.
rolleyes.gif
By the time I'd had enough of him, he was so paranoid it wasn't funny, his short-term memory was non-existant (which, along with the paranoia made him more aggressive, because he couldn't find things when he'd literally just put them down, and blamed it on the nearest person 'stealing' it, i.e. me). He had put his own mother in hospital, beaten his sister's head against a wall, and had been physically violent with me - all while high.

One of his good buddies he used to spend the days smoking with was also paranoid (which was later diagnosed as schitzophrenia), and had bashed his stepfather and put him in intensive care. My ex's brother was also a heavy pot smoker, and ended up being kicked out of the army when he went skitz with a loaded gun...waddaya know, he was schitzophrenic too. A good mate of my ex from the town he used to live in, came to stay with us once, and I was left alone with him - after my ex told me that not only was he schitzophrenic, but he'd pulled a knife on someone and attacked them. He was high. You can imagine how comforted and at ease I felt with him in the house.
Then there was the manager I worked with for years, whose behaviour became increasingly bizarre and paranoid. He used to scare the kids at work with the weird s*** he'd come out with, and he'd often disappear on shift to go score. Having lived with my ex, I could tell when this manager was stoned, and his behaviour became so erratic that he even started to scare me. Given my past experiences, I'm not easily scared by stoners. He was eventually fired, and his parents packed him off to rehab, where it was discovered he was (now this one's gonna shock ya), a paranoid schitzophrenic. :sarcastic You can't tell me there's not a link. I'm not saying smoking pot causes schitzophrenia, but from what I've seen, it seems pretty clear that if a person has a predisposition to it (family history or whatever), that it brings it on.
Uhh... Smoked pot all day? It seems to me you had a heavy addict on your hands. The casual smoker who has probably less than five joints per week is not like that. As with any drug, excessive use will cause problems. It's just a fact. He should have been in rehab. It's exactly the same as the alcoholic who drinks to "calm" himself.

Marijuana is said to cause paranoia, but I'd probably get paranoid too if I was trying to hide stuff all the time, constantly worrying if it was going to be found and then I'd either get in ****, or sent of to jail. Yeah, I have a feeling I would get paranoid. The schizophrenia is probably exxagerated by the same reasons.

Fat Old Sun

EnhancedSpirit said:

It is possible, but it depends on what they were smoking. When I was in college, my friend Scott and I lit up a joint on the way back to school. Since this was the first time we tried the weed that I pinched off of my father's stash, we were not prepared for what followed. About three miles later, after smoking half of it, it took both of us to park the car. :bonk:

I'm all in favor of people being able to smoke, but not if they're going to be driving. Smoking is not like drinking. You can't determine your level of impairment by how much you've smoked. The quality and characteristics of marijuana vary immensely.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Druidus said:
Uhh... Smoked pot all day? It seems to me you had a heavy addict on your hands.
Ahh, but according to so many who are pro-pot, it'snot an addictive drug...

Druidus said:
The casual smoker who has probably less than five joints per week is not like that. As with any drug, excessive use will cause problems. It's just a fact. He should have been in rehab. It's exactly the same as the alcoholic who drinks to "calm" himself.
As with any addict, it's impossible to get someone into rehab when they won't admit they have a problem. As for casual smokers, I've known many of those in my time as well, and some of them were complete arseholes when they were high (but rather passable people when not). Some people cannot drink alcohol because they get very aggressive with only a couple of drinks - it's something hardwired into them. I believe it's the same with pot; some people should just steer clear of it altogether.

Druidus said:
Marijuana is said to cause paranoia, but I'd probably get paranoid too if I was trying to hide stuff all the time, constantly worrying if it was going to be found and then I'd either get in ****, or sent of to jail. Yeah, I have a feeling I would get paranoid. The schizophrenia is probably exxagerated by the same reasons.
Oh, of course - cause inhaling all those chemicals couldn't possibly be bad for you, or interact with other chemicals in your brain to set off a mental illness. :sarcastic It's all in their head, so to speak. [/sarcasm]

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Ahh, but according to so many who are pro-pot, it'snot an addictive drug...
I'm not going to bull**** myself and say it isn't. It is.

As with any addict, it's impossible to get someone into rehab when they won't admit they have a problem.
I agree.

As for casual smokers, I've known many of those in my time as well, and some of them were complete arseholes when they were high (but rather passable people when not).
I've never met someone like that, but I'll admit the possibility of their existence. Many of the ones I know are complete ******** all the time. ;)

Some people cannot drink alcohol because they get very aggressive with only a couple of drinks - it's something hardwired into them. I believe it's the same with pot; some people should just steer clear of it altogether.
I will agree here as well.

Oh, of course - cause inhaling all those chemicals couldn't possibly be bad for you, or interact with other chemicals in your brain to set off a mental illness. :sarcastic It's all in their head, so to speak. [/sarcasm]
"Chemicals" is a funny word. It can be used to make a substance seem bad. However, when you eat, you are ingesting chemicals. Every substance you find is made of chemicals. Rocks, paper, trees, yourself, everything. Because you inhale these chemicals doesn't necessarily mean you will get schizophrenia. In fact, I have seen no hard evidence to suggest that marijuana usage causes schizophrenia and/or paranoia.

Edit: Darn you and your purple letters! :mad: :p

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Fat Old Sun said:
It is possible, but it depends on what they were smoking. When I was in college, my friend Scott and I lit up a joint on the way back to school. Since this was the first time we tried the weed that I pinched off of my father's stash, we were not prepared for what followed. About three miles later, after smoking half of it, it took both of us to park the car. :bonk:

I'm all in favor of people being able to smoke, but not if they're going to be driving. Smoking is not like drinking. You can't determine your level of impairment by how much you've smoked. The quality and characteristics of marijuana vary immensely.
Thank you for making that point! I was coming back to do it today, but you beat me to it lol. One of the main reasons there seems to be so little around on marijuana's role in road accidents, is because of this very thing. Nobody can agree on how much has to be in one's system before it affects driving ability, because there is so much variance in product and person. Hence the 'zero tolerance' in a lot of places.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
That's it for TV, movies, video games, music, non-educational books, etc. All of those things are for recreation, same as marijuana. Nothing good comes from them, besides entertainment.

anami

i think Old Fat Son was referring to the fact that most of music people enjoy was created with the involvement of marijuana.

Druidus said:
That's it for TV, movies, video games, music, non-educational books, etc. All of those things are for recreation, same as marijuana. Nothing good comes from them, besides entertainment.
Art is greated to express states of mind that don't have words. Many people find art to be very useful to personal growth.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
So then there would be no good music without marijuana? Or it would all suck? Or you have evidence that all good music, television, etc. was created because those who came up with it were on drugs at the time? If you do please, show me.:sarcastic

Fat Old Sun

EEWRED said:
So then there would be no good music without marijuana? Or it would all suck? Or you have evidence that all good music, television, etc. was created because those who came up with it were on drugs at the time? If you do please, show me.:sarcastic
The Beatles - How else do you get from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to "We All Live In a Yellow Submarine"?
Aerosmith - Went to rehab, and have sucked balls ever since.

I'm not saying all of it, but to deny the influence of marijuana and other drugs on music, whether it is jazz from the 30's and 40's, rock, folk, and R&B from the 60's and 70's, or Hip Hop today, is rediculous.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So then there would be no good music without marijuana?
ALOT of rock artist are high off of some sort of drug when they write music. Alot of the groups will even work the drugs into the song, such as Godsmack's "Voodoo". Aerosmith write several of thier albums will being very high on coke. Disturbed's and Korn's members smoke weed alot.
So thier would be some good music, but not nearly as much.

anami

EEWRED said:

It is very rude to misread and assume, to alter an argument into sounding silly.

Of course good music can be made sober. What i said was that MOST commonly accepted good music was created with the aid of herb.

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
www.thegooddrugsguide.com said:
Robert Louis Stevenson Wrote Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde in six days and nights on a cocaine binge. "That an invalid in my husband's condition of health should have been able to perform the manual labour alone of putting 60,000 words on paper in six days, seems almost incredible," said his astonished wife, Fanny.
Drugs are good for the creative process...