• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

legalization of Marijuana

what should be done?

• Legalize it! Go NORML!

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Decriminalize it. No more than a speeding ticket.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • only for medicinal uses

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Come on didn't you see Reefer Madness? It's evil! arrest all hippies!

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Yerda

Veteran Member
EnhancedSpirit said:
Everything has a downside. Right now the biggest downside of marijuana is that it is illegal for no good reason.
Think of the poor drug dealers, they would be out of business.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I Don't Feel Sorry For The Mobsters Who Found Benefit With Illegal Alcohol. But I'm Not Against Those Who Did Not Harm Others But Provided Alcohol. And the 'good bootleggers', just opened bars once it became legal.

anami

lady_lazarus said:

This is a news program. Not actual information. Don't tell me Austrailia is imune to sensationalist news.

Regardless, let's pretend it had come from a good source.
It's a crazy guy and his similarities of experience to the expriences of the same crazy guy on pot. Hardly more than 1/1,000,000,000,000 worth of valid to human experience.

What the people involved in this current affairs program have experienced - particularly the mental health professionals - backs up said study.

Don't believe everything you see on tabloid t.v.

understand the logic in the idea that alchohol and cigarettes are legal and therefore so should marijuana be.
What pisses me off is the idea that because you can all sit here and say, 'well, I smoke, and no-one I've ever known and no-one they've ever known have ever had a bad experience,' it's a pack of crap put about by people with an agenda that there can even be negative effects.

No one is saying that but you need to find actual studies and interpret them. Not get all your info from a current affairs television show. Which by the way, note that news now comes with the disclaimer that it is for entertainment purposes only.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
anami said:
Don't believe everything you see on tabloid t.v.
Because you come from another country, I'll forgive your ignorance at lumping 4 Corners under the heading of 'tabloid tv'.
If your news needs to issue a disclaimer that it's for entertainment purposes only, then that's a really sad indictment of your place of residence, not the lack of journalistic integrity or legitimate information where I come from.
Obviously you didn't actually read the whole thing, and if you did it just didn't sink in. There were several examples, there were studies cited, there were health care and psychiatric professionals,not some 'crazy guy and the similarities of his experiences to the same crazy guy on pot'.
As for being valid to human experience, several people who have known people who fit under the heading of 'some crazy guy on pot', have posted their personal experiences in this thread and according to you that doesn't fit under the category of human experience either.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Anami, you have a right to your opinion - as everyone else has; that doesn't mean you can 'trash' any evidence against what you believe in.:)

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
OK anami, you don't think news is a reliable source. Let's look at the scientific data:
State Health Department Studies 1988 click to see more details of this study
In addition to the published research there have been a series of six studies conducted by state health departments under research protocols approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.The focus of these studies, conducted by six state health agencies was the use of marijuana as an anti-emetic for cancer patients. The studies, conducted in California, Georgia, New Mexico, New York, Michigan and Tennessee, compared marijuana to antiemetics available by prescription, including the synthetic THC pill, Marinol. Marijuana was found to be an effective and safe antiemetic in each of the studies and more effective than other drugs for many patients.
Peer Reviewed Results of New York State-sponsored Cancer/Marijuana Studies
A prospective pilot study of the use, of Inhalation marijuana as an antiemetic for cancer chemotherapy was conducted. Fifty-six patients who had no Improvement with standard antiemetic agents were treated and 78% demonstrated a positive response to marijuana. Younger age and prior marijuana exposure were factors that predicted response to treatment. Toxicity was mild and consisted primarily of sedation and xerostomia. This preliminary trial suggests the usefulness of Inhalation marijuana as an antiemetic agent.
21 States Have Authorized Medical Marijuana Studies, But Only Six Implemented Programs

Since then, the federal government has denied there is any legitimate use for marijuana. The agency formally classifies it as a Schedule I ``controlled substance,'' the same as heroin and LSD. That means it has no recognized medicinal purpose and may not be prescribed.

Sympathy for sick people who could benefit from marijuana led to the passage of Proposition 215. It allowed seriously ill patients and their primary caregivers, with the oral or written recommendation of a doctor, to possess and cultivate marijuana for patients' personal use.

The government's response to Proposition 215 was swift and dramatic. It warned that physicians who recommended medicinal marijuana would be punished under federal law, including criminal prosecution.