• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalize Marijuana?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nah. The stormy-girl does not require chemical enhancement :D

In all seriousness, I have good reason. I'm near phobic about drugs, actually being intoxicated makes me freak out, BAD. So I stay away from the stuff.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Nah. The stormy-girl does not require chemical enhancement :D

In all seriousness, I have good reason. I'm near phobic about drugs, actually being intoxicated makes me freak out, BAD. So I stay away from the stuff.

I don't do a lot of drugs either. I've only been drunk about 3 times. And I've only smoked pot twice. It was fun though. :D

Dr. Nosophoros

Absolutely not, citizens need Government to protect them from themselves, sure there is still an iron fist underneath the velvet glove but it is what is needed for a stabled society.

kai

ragamuffin
What about Caffeine? Or fast food? Those can be pretty addictive and cause health problems. But you're right, we need a health police to decide what we can and can't put in our own bodies. Freedom be damned. And given that THC and DMT naturally occur in the brain, maybe they could drain our skulls while they're at it.

you dont think alcohol or tobaco is a problem , and you compare them to cofee?

kai

ragamuffin
You don't think the government sticking its nose in peoples private business is a problem?

no i dont not when half our hospitals are full of alcohol and tobacco related illness, and our prisons are full of drugg addicts ,"its not our private business is it"

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
no i dont not when half our hospitals are full of alcohol and tobacco related illness, and our prisons are full of drugg addicts ,"its not our private business is it"
The prisons being full of drug addicts has to do with the pointless criminalizing of marijuana so that is hardly an excuse to keeping banning marijuana.

kai

ragamuffin
The prisons being full of drug addicts has to do with the pointless criminalizing of marijuana so that is hardly an excuse to keeping banning marijuana.

you obviously have little idea of how people pay for drugs, shoplifting and mugging is the normal currency.

now in the UK we are currently and slowly making tobaco illegal it is ilegal to smoke it in a public place , or in the workplace or even in the van on the way to work , there is talk of issuing licences to people to enable them to buy tobacco , it is certainly getting harder for people to sell tobbaco, the reason is it kills people , now along comes someone whos says "hey i have something else that we can make cigarettes from and lets legalise that,"

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Well, there is already regulation for tobacco and alcohol products. I'm sure most consumers are aware of the risks. Also, if the laws for victimless crimes were repealed it'd reduce the prison population. Addicts need help not punishment, and by "addict" I assume you mean REAL drugs like cocaine, heroine, etc. You can't seriously compare something largely benign like cannabis to those.
Fastfood is very unhealthy and possibly addictive, so why shouldn't the government have a burger gestapo to go beat down obese people?
Personal responsibility and freedom are our friends.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
you obviously have little idea of how people pay for drugs, shoplifting and mugging is the normal currency.
A bit condescending kai...
Anyhow, the only reason why the stuff is expensive is because it has to be smuggled over. Legalize and regulate, and you will drop the price
now in the UK we are currently and slowly making tobaco illegal it is ilegal to smoke it in a public place , or in the workplace or even in the van on the way to work , there is talk of issuing licences to people to enable them to buy tobacco , it is certainly getting harder for people to sell tobbaco, the reason is it kills people , now along comes someone whos says "hey i have something else that we can make cigarettes from and lets legalise that,"
Banning tobacco is a solution looking for a problem. I see no reason why you shouldn't legalize it [marijuana] and have the same restrictions. You could try banning tobacco, but the effect would likely be the same as trying to ban alcohol.

kai

ragamuffin
A bit condescending kai...
Anyhow, the only reason why the stuff is expensive is because it has to be smuggled over. Legalize and regulate, and you will drop the price
Banning tobacco is a solution looking for a problem. I see no reason why you shouldn't legalize it [marijuana] and have the same restrictions. You could try banning tobacco, but the effect would likely be the same as trying to ban alcohol.

sorry if i sounded condescending it wasn't my intention, tony Blair promised to halve the population of drug addicts when he was in office , in fact heroin has halved in price during that time, we are trying to wean people off tobacco trying to make it socially unacceptable to smoke and we have a bad alcohol problem here with so called binge drinking, maybe an out right ban is not the way to go but somehow our society must change. the burden on our health service is intolerable. and i just think legalizing another smoking substance is adding fuel to the fire , i stand by my idea that burning something and inhaling the fumes cannot be healthy and tax payers pick up the bills

kai

ragamuffin
Well, there is already regulation for tobacco and alcohol products. I'm sure most consumers are aware of the risks. Also, if the laws for victimless crimes were repealed it'd reduce the prison population. Addicts need help not punishment, and by "addict" I assume you mean REAL drugs like cocaine, heroine, etc. You can't seriously compare something largely benign like cannabis to those.
Fastfood is very unhealthy and possibly addictive, so why shouldn't the government have a burger gestapo to go beat down obese people?
Personal responsibility and freedom are our friends.

what victimless crimes are those , you are not inprisoned here for personal possesion

and i am comparing cannabis to tobacco.

and there is a national campaign for the nation to eat better .

kai

ragamuffin
Will the U.K. government also cut peoples food up into really tiny pieces to ensure no one chokes on it?
i like the joke but we have free health care here that is mostly taken up by self harmers ie "smokers and drinkers " the nation as a whole is slowly coming to terms with that.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
sorry if i sounded condescending it wasn't my intention,
No problem
tony Blair promised to halve the population of drug addicts when he was in office , in fact heroin has halved in price during that time, we are trying to wean people off tobacco trying to make it socially unacceptable to smoke and we have a bad alcohol problem here with so called binge drinking, maybe an out right ban is not the way to go but somehow our society must change. the burden on our health service is intolerable. and i just think legalizing another smoking substance is adding fuel to the fire , i stand by my idea that burning something and inhaling the fumes cannot be healthy and tax payers pick up the bills
True, but it is really the cost that is the factor. Legalizing it with tight restrictions seems a decent compromise right?
People who want to bad enough will smoke it anyways regardless of legality. If they can afford it, odds are the stress they place on the system is lower because they don't need to mug old lady Jenkins as she gets her social security check

kai

ragamuffin
No problem

True, but it is really the cost that is the factor. Legalizing it with tight restrictions seems a decent compromise right?
People who want to bad enough will smoke it anyways regardless of legality. If they can afford it, odds are the stress they place on the system is lower because they don't need to mug old lady Jenkins as she gets her social security check

i dont think anyone mugs people to get canabis , my thoughts are its absurd to phase out and make smoking illegal and legalise anabis at the same time