• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, any differential movement between celestial objects will register doppler redshift, but the redshift of distant objects such as those galaxies viewed by the JWST, the BBers will see as expansion, and the TLTers will see as distance. They are using the exact same data.

You really don't do science do you?

Irony.

The red shifts that show up in distant galaxies cannot be explained by Compton scattering because they are proportional to wavelength and Compton scattering isn't. The difference is easy to detect and isn't something that can be misinterpreted. The universal red shift vs distance relation is NOT due to Compton scattering.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
In spite of all the evidence. TLT does not explain angular distance vs red shift distance. It does not work with how actual scattering works. SSM, even with TLT cannot explain the details of the CMBR.

The BB model handles all of those and matches observations.

At this point, you are rejecting a theory that works because of a philosophical objection. And that is no better than what happened to geocentrism vs heliocentrism.
As I explain to SZ, TLT interprets the redshift as distance, not expansion, and with the JWST viewed galaxies that don't fit BBT, but does a steady state universe, BBT will lose its credibility.

I am not rejecting the BB because of philosophical objections, BB misinterprets the redshift as doppler when it is due to TL.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There was no before because the universe had no beginning.

Yes, I am aware that is your claim. You have not proved your claim. Instead, you have given philosophy based on a lack of understanding of the current best explanations.

Sorry, but that doesn't prove your case.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As I explain to SZ, TLT interprets the redshift as distance, not expansion, and with the JWST viewed galaxies that don't fit BBT, but does a steady state universe, BBT will lose its credibility.
But the observed distance vs red shift relation doesn't fit the TLT. Again, the shift is proportional to wavelength, which is NOT what happens in scattering.
I am not rejecting the BB because of philosophical objections, BB misinterprets the redshift as doppler when it is due to TL.

No, it does not. The TLT does not actually fit the data (sure, you can pull up one galaxy where it works, which would at as a calibration--but then no other galaxy works).

TLT simply does not produce a proportional change in the wavelengths, which is what we observe (and that is indepdendent of any interpretation of that reddening).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
But the galaxies are fully formed, and that is consistent with an eternal infinite steady state universe, so it a minus for BB and a + for SSU,

It is still consistent with the BB model. It is NOT consistent with our models of galaxy formation, which are different than the BB model (although an add-on to it).

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Agreed. Which is why the question is still open. Philosophy is a poor way to eliminate active models.

Yes, philosophy is in practice the ability to spot objective/rational versus subjective/irrational. So you keep doing your objective science as long as you don't claim something subjective.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Irony.

The red shifts that show up in distant galaxies cannot be explained by Compton scattering because they are proportional to wavelength and Compton scattering isn't. The difference is easy to detect and isn't something that can be misinterpreted. The universal red shift vs distance relation is NOT due to Compton scattering.
You are not comprehending what I have been posting. The only reason I brought up Compton scattering redshift is because of the principle, that of energy loss of a photon lengthening wavelength, and that this same principle is at work in a photons travel through universal space over time.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You are not comprehending what I have been posting. The only reason I brought up Compton scattering redshift is because of the principle, that of energy loss of a photon lengthening wavelength, and that this same principle is at work in a photons travel through universal space over time.

And you don't seem to grasp the specific effects observed do not match what happens in scattering. Since TLT is based on scattering, it is ruled out by the observations.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes, I am aware that is your claim. You have not proved your claim. Instead, you have given philosophy based on a lack of understanding of the current best explanations.

Sorry, but that doesn't prove your case.
Look, science is unfolding, even though BB may be seriously flawed, the data collected will still help humanity towards better understanding of their place in the universe.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
But the observed distance vs red shift relation doesn't fit the TLT. Again, the shift is proportional to wavelength, which is NOT what happens in scattering.

No, it does not. The TLT does not actually fit the data (sure, you can pull up one galaxy where it works, which would at as a calibration--but then no other galaxy works).

TLT simply does not produce a proportional change in the wavelengths, which is what we observe (and that is indepdendent of any interpretation of that reddening).
What scattering?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
And you don't seem to grasp the specific effects observed do not match what happens in scattering. Since TLT is based on scattering, it is ruled out by the observations.
TLT is not based on scattering, a photon emitted from a star anywhere in the universe undergoes a continuous process of energy loss on its journey by interacting with material particles before it reaches an observer on Earth. That energy loss of the photon on its journey will be reflected in redshift of wavelength.