• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sorry, but for all your intelligence, you do not understand that there is more to reality than the stuff you study. The source of you is the universe, you do not understand that when the concept of realization is used in the context of enlightenment, it implies the union of personal self with the source. Of the two, personal self and universal Self, only one is enduring, guess which?

You make claims, but provide no evidence to back them up. So why should I believe them?

I *understand* what you say. I just don't believe it. I am very familiar with the concept of a 'universal self' and such. I just find those ideas to be wrong.

So, like all religions, you claim that some aspect of self is enduring, but fail to actually demonstrate that aspect actually exists. you make grand claims, but deliver only trinkets.

As I have said, I once went through a mystical phase similar to what you seem to believe. I eventually realized I was simply talking to myself and that looking *outward* leads to more wisdom than looking *inward*.

But, if you are happy at your stage, go for it.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Show on thing that does not supervene on the physical.

It seems to me that ego is more of an issue when someone holds to a belief that is contradicted by evidence, in spite of a description that fits the evidence better, and doesn't seem to want to learn any new ideas.
It seems you are unable to conceive of a mind that does not do belief, you judge according to your own limited reality.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems you are unable to conceive of a mind that does not do belief, you judge according to your own limited reality.

No, I can *conceive* of such. I just don't *believe* in such. I find the concept easy to conceive. But I also find it to be silly.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
And I would say that the 'realization' you had of this is simply self-delusion. You *think* you are without thoughts or concepts, but in reality you are simply seeing yourself within your own skull. it is, in a sense, the ultimate ego trip.

As for there being more than the 'personal self', I am not sure exactly what you mean. It *sounds* like it means something, but when I poke at it a bit, it evaporates into nothingness.
That is what you think, that is your jailer, your limited ego self.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That is what you think, that is your jailer, your limited ego self.

So you claim. But, like most of your claims, it is unsupported and lacking in any real evidence.

You can make claims all you want, but to be believed, you have to give evidence and test your ideas.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
It seems you are unable to conceive of a mind that does not do belief...

Everybody does belief. The point is that some beliefs are based on what is rational and supported by evidence and some not.

...you judge according to your own limited reality.

You keep on asserting that people are being limited by not 'seeing' or 'realising' what you do, but you've provided exactly zero reasons for anybody to take your claims seriously.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a vast gap between understanding an idea and believing that idea. I *understand* the TLT and SSU. I find that they have been contradicted by the evidence.

I *understand* about the concepts of universal self and how we are all part of a greater consciousness. I just find those ideas to be wrong. I have even believed them in the past (at least, I told myself that I did).

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You make claims, but provide no evidence to back them up. So why should I believe them?

I *understand* what you say. I just don't believe it. I am very familiar with the concept of a 'universal self' and such. I just find those ideas to be wrong.

So, like all religions, you claim that some aspect of self is enduring, but fail to actually demonstrate that aspect actually exists. you make grand claims, but deliver only trinkets.

As I have said, I once went through a mystical phase similar to what you seem to believe. I eventually realized I was simply talking to myself and that looking *outward* leads to more wisdom than looking *inward*.

But, if you are happy at your stage, go for it.
The materialist deals in matter, objective evidence is for those who are fearful to explore and find out directly what the concept of spirit actually is.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The materialist deals in matter, objective evidence is for those who are fearful to explore and find out directly what the concept of spirit actually is.

I have explored and found a useless wasteland of self-delusion. All fun and 'gee whiz', but little substance.

Objective evidence is precisely what should be required for any belief. To do otherwise is to fall off the path of wisdom.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
...objective evidence is for those who are fearful to explore and find out directly what the concept of spirit actually is.

Objective evidence is for those who are interested in the truth and want to avoid self-delusion. You may think you've experienced some sort of 'spiritual' reality, but you can't possibly know that you aren't fooling yourself without something objective to confirm it.

The world is full of people who claim to know spiritual truths. At least most of them are wrong because they contradict each other.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So you claim. But, like most of your claims, it is unsupported and lacking in any real evidence.

You can make claims all you want, but to be believed, you have to give evidence and test your ideas.
You are saying I am making claims, but I am only responding to your claims.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Everybody does belief. The point is that some beliefs are based on what is rational and supported by evidence and some not.

You keep on asserting that people are being limited by not 'seeing' or 'realising' what you do, but you've provided exactly zero reasons for anybody to take your claims seriously.
No, you are judging based on your own limited reality.