• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Present Some Evidence ...

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Sure thing. Here is the recipe for an anti-bacterial soap listed in Numbers 19. Apologetics Press - God’s Soap Recipe. This recipe was has been in the Bible for thousands of years and only recently has science been able to catch up.

1) You don't need to know about germ theory to see the value of soap.

2) History of Soapmaking

It looks like God bestowed other recipes for soap independent of Christians and Jews. Hmmmm.....I'm sure they didn't consult Numbers 19, either. So where did they get this knowledge, if not from God? How did Native Americans get their soap recipe? They're a little far from Jerusalem, don't you think?

3) I've already made the point that it's the medicine that cures people, not some mystical waving of the hands or prayer. A lot of our modern medication is based off of herbs and plants Native Americans used to cure their ailments. Should we subscribe to Native American religions now? It seems their gods have bestowed upon us a lot more useful information than the Judeo-Christian God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
1) You don't need to know about germ theory to see the value of soap.

2) History of Soapmaking

It looks like God bestowed other recipes for soap independent of Christians and Jews. Hmmmm.....I'm sure they didn't consult Numbers 19, either. So where did they get this knowledge, if not from God? How did Native Americans get their soap recipe? They're a little far from Jerusalem, don't you think?

3) I've already made the point that it's the medicine that cures people, not some mystical waving of the hands or prayer. A lot of our modern medication is based off of herbs and plants Native Americans used to cure their ailments. Should we subscribe to Native American religions now? It seems their gods have bestowed upon us a lot more useful information than the Judeo-Christian God.

I think people tend to forget about trial and error and the discovery of what works and what dosent.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
And isn't the Bible supposed to be divinely inspired? If that is the case, why the Hell would God inspire desert Jews to make soap?

Even if the claim wasn't unsubstantiated bull, I still fail to see how an ancient soap recipe - A RECIPE WE NO LONGER USE - makes up the basis of modern medicine (as was PureX's claim). Maybe that's just me. Last time I had a migraine, I popped a pill. I didn't consult Numbers 19.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
And isn't the Bible supposed to be divinely inspired? If that is the case, why the Hell would God inspire desert Jews to make soap?

Even if the claim wasn't unsubstantiated bull, I still fail to see how an ancient soap recipe - A RECIPE WE NO LONGER USE - makes up the basis of modern medicine (as was PureX's claim). Maybe that's just me. Last time I had a migraine, I popped a pill. I didn't consult Numbers 19.

To clean wounds. Even desert people got lacerations and infections you know....... You asked for a recipe from our faith, and I gave it to you. Also in case you did not know....this recipe and variations of, is still taught by armed forces all over the world for use in survival situations when modern medicine is not available. So you might wanna remember it, could come in handy one day.

themadhair

To clean wounds. Even desert people got lacerations and infections you know....... You asked for a recipe from our faith, and I gave it to you. Also in case you did not know....this recipe and variations of, is still taught by armed forces all over the world for use in survival situations when modern medicine is not available. So you might wanna remember it, could come in handy one day.
I think CM has already taken you to task when he noted (correctly) that the Native Americans had this knowledge independently of a divine source. That sort of refutes any claim that it came from 'faith'.

nonbeliever_92

Honestly this has gone so far from what it was intended for in the first place, if someone geninely has evidence of a god, speak up now.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I think CM has already taken you to task when he noted (correctly) that the Native Americans had this knowledge independently of a divine source. That sort of refutes any claim that it came from 'faith'.

Exactly. So either this demonstrates that the recipe for soap was developed in a similar way as Native Americans developed it (without the help of a divine being), or God distributed soap recipes all over the globe to different cultures (for whatever reason). Which seems more plausible?

Beaudreaux

In the context of this discussion, I think that Victor Stenger's God: The Failed Hypothesis is very relevant. Stenger argues that one can take the question of God's existence as a scientific hypothesis that can and has been tested. Normally, people assume that one cannot prove or disprove God's existence from a scientific perspective--that science has nothing to say about the matter. Stenger demurs in an interesting way. He argues that the empirical evidence weighs against the existence of God.

So he in essence is arguing that no evidence is evidence of no God. Most scientists, AND philosophers will disagree with that.

Let's try the same problem with other variables. Let's say I come to my doctor and complain of severe sore throat and cold-like symptoms. I tell him I believe I have Strep Throat. My doctor swabs my throat and sends the sample to a lab where test show NO EVIDENCE of streptococus bacteria. He tells me (foolishly of course) that I do not have strep throat. Because of what I have learned through dialolgue with PureX, I can tell him with confidence that he is wrong. Just because he has found no evidence of Strep throat does not mean I don't have it. I tell him that most medical doctors will disagree with him. Am I right to say this? Is the doctor correct in telling me that I don't have Strep?

Beaudreaux

Honestly this has gone so far from what it was intended for in the first place, if someone geninely has evidence of a god, speak up now.

Why, you won't see it.

PureX, evidence, by its nature is evident. It is an observable phenomenon that is intuitively connected to the proposition it supports. Objects falling to the ground constitute evidence for gravity. Johnny's fingerprints on a gun constitute evidence that he held it once. It should not take any special understanding to recognize evidence.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
PureX, evidence, by its nature is evident. It is an observable phenomenon that is intuitively connected to the proposition it supports. Objects falling to the ground constitute evidence for gravity. Johnny's fingerprints on a gun constitute evidence that he held it once. It should not take any special understanding to recognize evidence.

Pfft - your problem is that you want words to be used according to what they mean. How do ever expect to engage in any meaningful conversation when you're not willing to accept that words mean whatever somebody says they mean?

OmarKhayyam

Besides evidence for god produced today would have no relevance tomorrow. God changes daily. Hence evidence for his existence does also.

Check again tomorrow. PureX may then be in a evidentiary mode.

Always remember: There's a wondrous touch in every PureX product.

themadhair

It is an observable phenomenon that is intuitively connected to the proposition it supports.
Not necessarily. For example there are instances where observation adhering to predictive power of an hypothesis can constitute evidence without such an intuitive connection. I’m nit picking here though.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yes, but that has nothing whatever to do with the example I gave. It is not "occult". It is not a "cold reading". It is not a "trick" of any kind. It's a simple process that when followed honestly and earnestly, will result in a person's ability to change who they are from within, for the better. Something that is otherwise very difficult to do.

Cold reading is directly relevant to your example, because it stands as solid evidence that people tend to ignore counterevidence when it contradicts what they want to believe--just as you are ignoring the relevance cold reading itself in this discussion. Just because an experience transforms your life, that does not mean that you have correctly understood the experience. Sometimes false analyses lead to good outcomes. That does not validate the false analyses.

But you've picked an extreme case, and now wish to use it to inform the norm. That's not a legitimate argument. Also, because it is such an extreme case, I would argue that this isn't even an example of religion in action, anymore, but of cult fanaticism. It would surprise no one that such fanatics could not let go of their bizarre beliefs or behaviors even in the face of such a letdown. They have developed a kind of addiction to them.
Miller's failed prediction was not as extreme as you would like to make it out to be. It had a major impact on the lives of thousands of people. It led to several major religious movements in the US (e.g. Seventh Day Adventists) and even the Bahai faith. You can stigmatize these movements as cults and fanaticism all you want, but they remain as evidence that large numbers of people are simply impervious to counterevidence when it comes to religious beliefs and superstitions. Michael Shermer, the noted skeptic, said it best when he pointed out that smart people believe weird things because they are very good at defending opinions that they arrived at for stupid reasons. In his analysis of holocaust deniers and UFO fanatics, he found that many such people were very informed about counterevidence for their claims and very skilled at coming up with excuses to pooh-pooh it.

No, I'm talking about a process that you or anyone can use to change themselves. It does not rely on any revelatory experience.
It does if it has anything to do with a god.

No, it is not a placebo effect. It works exactly the same way modern psychology works.
You misunderstand my point in bringing up the "placebo effect". It is not just that every good thing caused by misunderstanding is the result of a placebo effect. It is primarily to make my point that good outcomes--the "ends"--do not justify the means of achieving those outcome. You keep talking about life-altering experiences as if those alterations somehow validate subjective interpretations. In "cold reading" technique, the perpetrator gets the subject to believe something false by relying on our natural tendency to discount counterevidence against wishful thinking. When people buy lottery tickets, it is seldom the case that they have experienced winning lotteries. Indeed, what they are doing is little different from throwing the money down the toilet. Yet they hear stories about winners all the time, and that tends to erase the evidence that they are figuratively flushing dollars down the toilet.

Most of the things that most people believe to be true they have not tested scientifically. They believe them because they have shown themselves to be true experientially.
Sweeping generalization. Sometimes that is true. Sometimes it is false.

I gave this example:
Carol claims she loves Bill, and wants to marry Bill and live with Bill as his wife. But BIll is skeptical, so he proposes that they live together unmarried for a time, to see how it goes. But as they live together, Bill discovers that Carol does not behave as a woman who loves her husband, but as a woman who wants to possess him, and control him, and punish him when he does not oblige her needs. She says she loves him, and wants to be his wife, but she doesn't act as if she loves him, nor does she treat him like a husband.

Please explain to me why Bill's experience of this idea should not be taken as evidence for or against the truthfulness of the idea? And if it can be, then why can't we take the experience of a successful religious prescription (example above) as evidence of it's authenticity, as well?
Because you merely assumed that Bill correctly analyzed his relationship with Carol. You gave it from his perspective. Well, it is your hypothetical situation, so you are free to assume anything you want. But it is sometimes the case that the Bills of the world misjudge the Carols of the world. After I finished reading your little scenario, I came away with the thought that it might well have been Carol who dodged the bullet here, not Bill. Perhaps his unrealistic subjective expectations for Carol led him to ignore her reasonable behavior and just focus on the behavior that his suspicious nature told him must be there.

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Not necessarily, your cherry picked definition of evidence is not the only definition scientist use for evidence. Theoretical Evidence is used in all fields of science. Anyone that denies this does not truly believe in the scientific method. And that is what PureX's evidence is.

Exactly. So either this demonstrates that the recipe for soap was developed in a similar way as Native Americans developed it (without the help of a divine being), or God distributed soap recipes all over the globe to different cultures (for whatever reason). Which seems more plausible?

Who is to say native americans was not inspired by God as well. It is something none of us can prove one way or the other.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well . . . that's apparent.