• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Present Some Evidence ...

Commoner

Headache
I'm alive (I think) and the litter box is, of course, in the corner of the box.

Wait, I thought there was no box?! What's this corner doing here?! :eek:

Commoner

Headache
Is that a law? A fact? A theory? Can I quote you to abuse other atheists with? Or is that... dare I say...

faith?

It's faith to say that I don't think anybody would be foolish enough to try that. But it's common sense to say you can't deny anything existing as a concept. You'd have to have a concept of it to deny it in the first place. Catch 22.

So you can say that it's faith, you can quote it, you can use it and abuse it, you can try it, don't deny it. :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But it's common sense to say you can't deny anything existing as a concept. You'd have to have a concept of it to deny it in the first place. Catch 22.
Isn't it also common sense that it is by the concept that we know everything? That there is nothing we do not know via its concept? (Ordinarily I'd use the word "idea" here but it seems acceptable in this thread to transpose the two words.)

ellenjanuary

It's faith to say that I don't think anybody would be foolish enough to try that. But it's common sense to say you can't deny anything existing as a concept. You'd have to have a concept of it to deny it in the first place. Catch 22.

So you can say that it's faith, you can quote it, you can use it and abuse it, you can try it, don't deny it. :D

Ah,but I am the fool, to give back the word to faith; to tear down the walls of religion, to end the nightmare with a dream. :p

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Isn't it also common sense that it is by the concept that we know everything?

Are you a solipsist? Do you believe that anything exists outside of your mental representation of reality? Mental models are constructed on the basis of experiences, and the repetitiveness of experiences is what counts as evidence for those models.

That there is nothing we do not know via its concept? (Ordinarily I'd use the word "idea" here but it seems acceptable in this thread to transpose the two words.)
Much of your argument seems to be verging on a reification fallacy. Ideas about objects in the world are not the same as objects in the world. To claim otherwise is pure sophistry.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Are you a solipsist? Do you believe that anything exists outside of your mental representation of reality? Mental models are constructed on the basis of experiences, and the repetitiveness of experiences is what counts as evidence for those models.
No. Yes. I agree.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think it fair to conclude that your "no doubt" also applies to the statement that you snipped.
I do not, nor have I ever on these forums, argued that only concepts exist, or that the idea of a thing is the thing. Neither are what I believe.

My "no doubt" refers to that reification is what I argue against: being misled by (linguistic) form into thinking that simply because some noun has a use, there must be something to which it refers.

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

s...t...i...l...l... n...o... e...v...i...d...e...n...c...e...

Faith is what remains. ;)

The old ideas about god are just that - old. I got a new one. He's like a youngster playing video games on an old style TV set. Every once in a while, he gets up to whack the set, to remove the squiggly lines, and this act spins up a prophet or two. What we don't want to happen is to have him take the back cover off of the set.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
My "no doubt" refers to that reification is what I argue against: being misled by (linguistic) form into thinking that simply because some noun has a use, there must be something to which it refers.

Since I had mentioned the "reification fallacy" in an earlier post, it wasn't at all clear that your "No doubt" was responding to that criticism. And my your wording is convoluted here. I did not accuse you of arguing against reification but of falling victim to it. And reification is not really a linguistic argument. It is about confusing abstractions with real objects in the physical world.