• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Shiva

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking over the religious threads, a fair amount of them are about Jesus or Christianity.

It seems unbalanced.

Let's talk about Shiva for awhile instead.

What do you know about him that feels relevant? What would you like to know about him? What's a favorite story about him? (Or other related questions or comments.)

images (1).jpeg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You caught me. I thought I was a goner, but the cat came back.

As you know, I'm a non-intellectual practical Saivite. Hopefully I can contribute to this in some way. I've been playing with starting a 'Path to Siva' introductory class here in my city. That is the outreach my sampradaya does these days, although we're not big on outreach. I don't know how to find students.

So ... a personal testimony from the other night. It was the last night of the kumbabhishekham, which was 7 days back in July, followed by 45 days of homas. At the end of Saivite festivals. A 'thank you' puja is done for Bhairava, a more 'fierce' form of Siva, known as the gatekeeper, and in Agamic temples, stands right beside the main entrance, doing His duty. Now, I have spent some 40 years saying 'Thank you' for 1) allowing me into this particular temple, and 2) allowing me into the religion, for this lifetime. This happens during the aartis to Him, as I exit, etc. But my prayers get more concentrated especially when the puja is entirely focused on Him, which is what was happening 2 nights back.

So there I am, bawling my eyes out in gratitude, the bliss of the tears of bhakti overflowing, having to wipe my eyes. And then I hear it ... "You got this wrong. That is only the half of it. Not only do I control who gets in, but I'm also in control of who gets out, and now that you've proved yourself, I'm not letting you out."

So ... the metaphysical insights come rushing. Things like "All doors (metaphorically) have two directions." and much much more.

Aum Na Ma Si Va Ya ... May Siva's grace descend to all those open to it.

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

As you know, I'm a non-intellectual practical Saivite. Hopefully I can contribute to this in some way. I've been playing with starting a 'Path to Siva' introductory class here in my city. That is the outreach my sampradaya does these days, although we're not big on outreach. I don't know how to find students.

So ... a personal testimony from the other night. It was the last night of the kumbabhishekham, which was 7 days back in July, followed by 45 days of homas. At the end of Saivite festivals. A 'thank you' puja is done for Bhairava, a more 'fierce' form of Siva, known as the gatekeeper, and in Agamic temples, stands right beside the main entrance, doing His duty. Now, I have spent some 40 years saying 'Thank you' for 1) allowing me into this particular temple, and 2) allowing me into the religion, for this lifetime. This happens during the aartis to Him, as I exit, etc. But my prayers get more concentrated especially when the puja is entirely focused on Him, which is what was happening 2 nights back.

So there I am, bawling my eyes out in gratitude, the bliss of the tears of bhakti overflowing, having to wipe my eyes. And then I hear it ... "You got this wrong. That is only the half of it. Not only do I control who gets in, but I'm also in control of who gets out, and now that you've proved yourself, I'm not letting you out."

So ... the metaphysical insights come rushing. Things like "All doors (metaphorically) have two directions." and much much more.

I hope I can learn enough to truly appreciate this sharing. Enough is relatable for me to feel your epiphany, if that is an appropriate term fir your experience.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
The only thing in common between the Christian trinity and the Hindu trimurti is the number 3, represented by the prefix tri, also present in trilogy, tricycle, and more.
Both religions have a beginning and an ending

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To my understanding the Trimurti symbolize the fundamental truth of existence. Brahma: the universe is born, babies are born, trees are born, planets are born. Vishnu represents the maintenance of life: everything grows and develops: planets, nations, people, plants; everything.

History tells us that not only do people and plants die, but also civilizations and planets. This is the realm of Shiva. The old must die for something new to be born. "This too shall pass" honors the role of Shiva.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Not according to the proponents of Sanatana Dharma, as the word 'Sanatana' literally means 'eternal'. But people are free to differ ... rather obviously.
Is this eternal view the majority of Hindus?
Not according to the proponents of Sanatana Dharma, as the word 'Sanatana' literally means 'eternal'. But people are free to differ ... rather obviously.
then what the point of a creator and destroyer if things are eternal?
or is like Christianity that has a beginning and an ending, but also has the concept of eternal life in heaven?

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member

That's an excellent idea. I'm not sure how to get students, either... bulletin boards at universities, or other relevant places, perhaps?
Can you tell me some about Bhairava? I don't know much about him.

That's beautiful beyond what I can say.
:blueheart: