• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Shiva

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
images (2).jpeg
Siva at CERN

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I would say all living things have their season.

Hindus believe in reincarnation. A human is born, grows, blossoms, declines, dies, is reborn, start all over again.
So what’s the point of Brahma and shiva if nothing is created or destroyed?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I would say all living things have their season.

Hindus believe in reincarnation. A human is born, grows, blossoms, declines, dies, is reborn, start all over again.
Oh, I just read that a new earth is created every 4.32 billion years in Hinduism so I guess that’s where Brahma and Shiva comes in.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
So what’s the point of Brahma and shiva if nothing is created or destroyed?
Its created, its destroyed. It just never really goes away.

If I smash something up, the pieces don't just vanish. But, its destroyed. I can't use it anymore. But then someone else comes, picks up the pieces, and turns them into something else. Maybe a sculpture. Maybe its recycled into a similar item.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our temple got a new Nandi. The lingam here is small, compared to most places. The original stapathi said the temporary one was fine to use, 24 years ago, when the temple opened. It is only about 3 inches high, and never has a proper stone Nandi in front, although it had a brass one. So with this kumbhabhishekham, and renovations that go with it, the board decided to add a place for a Nandi. As is common, He arrived late, and was only installed about a week ago. But it's nice to have Him. I wanted to ask him, "Don't you ever get bored staring at your Lord all day long?"

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Its created, its destroyed. It just never really goes away.

If I smash something up, the pieces don't just vanish. But, its destroyed. I can't use it anymore. But then someone else comes, picks up the pieces, and turns them into something else. Maybe a sculpture. Maybe its recycled into a similar item.
Well, you’ll have to forgive me. I got sidetracked by @Vinayaka lol

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Our temple got a new Nandi. The lingam here is small, compared to most places. The original stapathi said the temporary one was fine to use, 24 years ago, when the temple opened. It is only about 3 inches high, and never has a proper stone Nandi in front, although it had a brass one. So with this kumbhabhishekham, and renovations that go with it, the board decided to add a place for a Nandi. As is common, He arrived late, and was only installed about a week ago. But it's nice to have Him. I wanted to ask him, "Don't you ever get bored staring at your Lord all day long?"
What do you think they talk about?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What do you think they talk about?
Very little, I would imagine. They just are. The Nandi at Kadavul in Hawaii, is HUGE, the largest one carved this century. He was too heavy for the port at Chennai, so they had to truck Him over to Kerala for shipping.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Very little, I would imagine. They just are. The Nandi at Kadavul in Hawaii, is HUGE, the largest one carved this century. He was too heavy for the port at Chennai, so they had to truck Him over to Kerala for shipping.
Define huge.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
a new earth every 4.32 billion years ties in nicely with science and the history of the formation of our earth 4.5 billion years ago. When was this 4.32 billion year belief first adopted?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh, I just read that a new earth is created every 4.32 billion years in Hinduism so I guess that’s where Brahma and Shiva comes in.
Between emanations, Siva alone exists. It is called Mahapralaya when He withdraws it all. But please understand Hinduism is vast, and not all Hindus will agree on what is being said here by other Hindus. JustGeorge and I will see things slightly differently.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Between emanations, Siva alone exists. It is called Mahapralaya when He withdraws it all. But please understand Hinduism is vast, and not all Hindus will agree on what is being said here by other Hindus. JustGeorge and I will see things slightly differently.
Oh in that case I withdraw my statement earlier when I said you know little. Sorry. I was under the impression most Hindus agreed on the big things.