• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Shiva

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Looking over the religious threads, a fair amount of them are about Jesus or Christianity.

It seems unbalanced.

Let's talk about Shiva for awhile instead.

What do you know about him that feels relevant? What would you like to know about him? What's a favorite story about him? (Or other related questions or comments.)

View attachment 96461
I like the story where he lops off Ganeshas head.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the story where he lops off Ganeshas head.
Me too!

For those who don't know how Ganesh got his head:

One day, Maa Parvati(Shiva's wife) was lonely. Shiva had been gone for some time, and she wanted companionship. So, she made for herself a son from the dust of her body. He was a beautiful boy. After the work, she decided she wanted to bathe. She sent young Ganesh to guard the path while she did so.

Father and son had never met. So, when Shiva returned and saw this boy standing in the way of his wife, he commanded him to move along. The boy would do no such thing, so Shiva lopped off his head. Maa Parvati come running, horrified. Shiva saw his wife was distraught and furious. He realized he needed to move NOW! A search was made for a new head. The first creature came upon was a young elephant. His head was removed and placed on Ganesh's body.

All better! :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Me too!

For those who don't know how Ganesh got his head:

One day, Maa Parvati(Shiva's wife) was lonely. Shiva had been gone for some time, and she wanted companionship. So, she made for herself a son from the dust of her body. He was a beautiful boy. After the work, she decided she wanted to bathe. She sent young Ganesh to guard the path while she did so.

Father and son had never met. So, when Shiva returned and saw this boy standing in the way of his wife, he commanded him to move along. The boy would do no such thing, so Shiva lopped off his head. Maa Parvati come running, horrified. Shiva saw his wife was distraught and furious. He realized he needed to move NOW! A search was made for a new head. The first creature came upon was a young elephant. His head was removed and placed on Ganesh's body.

All better! :D
For a god he's such a guy, lol.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Are there any mantras (chants), bhajans (devotional songs) to Shiva that are of note? What puranas and vedas (scriptures) that mention Shiva that I might look at?

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
Are there any mantras (chants), bhajans (devotional songs) to Shiva that are of note? What puranas and vedas (scriptures) that mention Shiva that I might look at?
The extremely simple "Om Namah Shivaya" is my favorite. It's something I can keep in mind when life is hectic.

And this one is my favorite bhajan:

There is the Shiva Purana, and, if my understanding is right, Saivas focus on the Agamas as well. @Vinayaka may be able to tell you more about the Agamas.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The extremely simple "Om Namah Shivaya" is my favorite. It's something I can keep in mind when life is hectic.

And this one is my favorite bhajan:

There is the Shiva Purana, and, if my understanding is right, Saivas focus on the Agamas as well. @Vinayaka may be able to tell you more about the Agamas.
The Agamas are a vast group of scriptures that complement the Vedas. While the Vedas are general, the Agamas are specific. There are Siva agamas, Vaishnava agamas, and Shakta agamas. When you see detailed stuff, like when to use specific mudras in a puja, or how to best make the layout of a house, chances are it's from the agamas. They permeate the culture, yet few would know that that is where it came from. Many have never been translated, but they (and the Vedas) were the source of many traditions that were passed down generation to generation.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Sounds like you don’t know much about Hinduism. Thanks anyway

Adding you to my ignore list now. Your **** about Judaism is repulsive and what you just said to Vinayaka was extremely ignorant and arrogant. I won’t miss a damn thing you post on RF in the future.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The mantra combined with my curiousity led me to Wikipedia and interesting to me discussion. It of course illustrates the differences in various HIndu groups Part of that page is:

Translations among different traditions​

Namah Shivaya means "Adoration to Lord Shiva"; this is preceded by the devotional syllable "Om".

In Siddha Shaivism and Shaiva Siddhanta Shaivism traditions, Namah Shivaya is considered as Pancha Bodha Tatva of Lord Shiva and his universal oneness of five elements:[5]
Its total meaning is that "universal consciousness is one".[5]

The five-syllable (Panch Akshara) form, omitting the Om In Shaiva Siddhanta, the five letters also represent:[5]
  • Na is the Lord's concealing grace[5]
  • Ma is the world[5]
  • Śi stands for Shiva[5]
  • is His revealing grace[5]
  • Ya is the Ātman or soul[5]
The Tirumantiram (a scripture in Shaiva Siddhanta) announces that "His feet are the letter Na. His navel is the letter Ma. His shoulders are the letter Śi. His mouth, the letter Vā. His radiant cranial center aloft is Ya. Thus is the five-lettered form of Shiva.": Tirumantiram 941. TM[6][7]

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I love Shiva. He's relatable.

I always found it ironic that he embodies the Sannyasi life, yet is such a family man.

Jaya Śiva!

My Śiva, my Maheśvara is the one in whom opposites are fulfilled. He is known for doing tapas or religious austerity for a vast span of time, and he is known for marrying Pārvatī and fathering Gaṇapati and Kārtikeya. My Śiva bestows both bhukti (physical enjoyment) and mukti (liberation from the cycle of life, death, and rebirth). There is nothing to me greater than Śiva. I want to know him deeper and deeper. I want to merge into him. I want to see what he sees, hear what he hears, know what he knows. He is Sadāśiva.