• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Shiva

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No. That is Vaishnavas to say so. And we don't dispute it. It is their right to say so. Shiva may be some one's principal deity. Some one else may have Vishnu as the principal deity. That is why Shaivas, Vaishnavas and Shaktas (for whom Mother Goddess is the principal deity). Brahma is the left out. He is not among the Hindu principal deities.
When I was in India in 2012, we visited what I was told is the only Brahma temple in India in Pushkar but it seems there are a very few others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Another view will be the three kinds of problems (Vyadhis). Adhibhautika (physical), Adhyatmika (Adhi+aatmic, mental) and Adhidaivika (because of deities, happenings, chance for an atheist Hindu like me). Trident (Trishula) removes all three kind of Vyadhis (problems) with its three probes.
The trident is also worshipped standing alone, the same as Murugan's vel. In my home shrine, the trident represents Bhairava, and he is located at the doorway. Such a deep and rich multifaceted faith we share.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
True. Aryans rejected Brahma/Prajapati around 2,500 BCE. He had five heads, but one was cut by Rudra.

Interestingly, Brahmā is still embraced by Indonesian Hindus. Balinese Hindus see him as a manifestation of their supreme and incomprehensible deity: Sang Hyang Tunggal, the Divine Oneness. In Javanese Śaivism, Brahmā is an aspect of Sadāśiva. Hindus on those islands give Brahmā their worship just as they give Wisnu, Siwa, and others their worship.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think you mean 1500BCE :D
No. I definitely mean 2,500 BCE when the Aryans had not yet arrived in India. It is a changeover from Orion (Mrigashiras) to Pleiades (Krittikas) in the Aryan calendar. This happened because of precession of equinox. In the sky they saw Orion is not the leading constellation on their New Year day, that is vernal equinox, but Aldebaran (Rohini). They thought Prajapati has erred. He was accused of incestuous intent and the story goes that Rudra has cut his head. Some time later, even the orthodox accepted that the year begins with Pleiades. It took time for the orthodox to change their views. The change is finally recorded in Taittiriya Samhita sometime around 2,250 BCE. A later change in this millennium, through the efforts of Bhaskara 1 (600 CE), changed the beginning of the year constellation to Aries (Ashwinis). It is easy to check the leading constellation in different eras with the use of astronomical apps like Stellarium.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Interestingly, Brahmā is still embraced by Indonesian Hindus. Balinese Hindus see him as a manifestation of their supreme and incomprehensible deity: Sang Hyang Tunggal, the Divine Oneness. In Javanese Śaivism, Brahmā is an aspect of Sadāśiva. Hindus on those islands give Brahmā their worship just as they give Wisnu, Siwa, and others their worship.
Yeah, they do and that is no problem. Worshiping any God or Goddess is a Hindu's choice. Only that he/she should be from Hindu pantheon.

GoodAttention

No. I definitely mean 2,500 BCE when the Aryans had not yet arrived in India. It is a changeover from Orion (Mrigashiras) to Pleiades (Krittikas) in the Aryan calendar. This happened because of precession of equinox. In the sky they saw Orion is not the leading constellation on their New Year day, that is vernal equinox, but Aldebaran (Rohini). They thought Prajapati has erred. He was accused of incestuous intent and the story goes that Rudra has cut his head. Some time later, even the orthodox accepted that the year begins with Pleiades. It took time for the orthodox to change their views. The change is finally recorded in Taittiriya Samhita sometime around 2,250 BCE. A later change in this millennium, through the efforts of Bhaskara 1 (600 CE), changed the beginning of the year constellation to Aries (Ashwinis). It is easy to check the leading constellation in different eras with the use of astronomical apps like Stellarium.

Wikipedia says Aldebaran was closest to vernal equinox 5000 years ago?

In any case, the incestuous story of Brahma lusting after his own daughter has stood the test of time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wikipedia says Aldebaran was closest to vernal equinox 5000 years ago?

In any case, the incestuous story of Brahma lusting after his own daughter has stood the test of time.
Yeah, that is the time I am talking about, give and take 500 years.
Yes, stories many a times do not die. See, Avesta talks about a deluge by snow (ice-age).

"O fair Yima, son of Vivaŋhat! Upon the material world the evil winters are about to fall, that shall bring the fierce, deadly frost; upon the material world the evil winters are about to fall, that shall make snow-flakes fall thick, even an arədvi deep on the highest tops of mountains."