• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Why should I ask people that are most likely deluded such a question?
hmm is that so. yeah, well anyway...take care. :) meantime, go ask the people who go to church, align themselves with a religion and claim to be believers in evolution what they think about -- whatever. Perhaps you can write to the Pope also and ask him for delineation. :) And those teachers professing to believe in evolution and God, please, ask them. And then let them tell you that the Bible is a book of myths. Then ask why or if they believe in God and if they think they will live beyond death. :) How about it?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
hmm is that so. yeah, well anyway...take care. :) meantime, go ask the people who go to church, align themselves with a religion and claim to be believers in evolution what they think about -- whatever. Perhaps you can write to the Pope also and ask him for delineation. :) And those teachers professing to believe in evolution and God, please, ask them. And then let them tell you that the Bible is a book of myths. Then ask why or if they believe in God and if they think they will live beyond death. :) How about it?
Most Christians do not believe the myths of Genesis. Educated Christians know that life is the product of evolution. Why do you have to try to insult others? That does not sound very Christian to me.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Most Christians do not believe the myths of Genesis. Educated Christians know that life is the product of evolution. Why do you have to try to insult others? That does not sound very Christian to me.
lol, who's insulting? Some claim to be churchgoers and teachers yet believe in the theory of evolution, so really ask them not me about life and death and the future. :) Meanwhile, have a good one.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
lol, who's insulting? Some claim to be churchgoers and teachers yet believe in the theory of evolution, so really ask them not me about life and death and the future. :) Meanwhile, have a good one.
You are. You can continue to insult your own intelligence but it is definitely not Christian when you accuse other fellow Christians of lacking intelligence.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We should be grateful for those few that are willing to run against the herd ... even when they're wrong. We need them to remind us that we ARE A HERD.
Yes, of course, and the religious mostly do this every day - acting like a herd - when others are more open to new knowledge. :D

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
It's true that physics doesn't tell us why the laws of physics are the way they are, but there's no reason, in principle, science can never answer this question. There might be a good physical reason why the laws of physics are what the are and it might be possible to find out, though it isn't something I would bet on at the minute.
The reason science will never be able to answer those questions is because they are not physical questions. They are philosophical questions. Existence is being created and determined by what is possible, and what is not possible. Physicality is just an expression of those possibilities and limitations. And it's not even the only expression of those as existence now includes a metaphysical realm that transcends the physical and creates a whole new array of possibilities. Also, science is an amoral intellectual mechanism that cannot investigate questions involving value, that must be addressed if we are going to investigate the possibility of purpose. It's why the 'scientism' crowd around here want to dismiss the whole conceptual possibility of existential purpose.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, of course, and the religious mostly do this every day - acting like a herd - when others are more open to new knowledge. :D
One herd runs one way, another herd runs another. Yet we always think it's the other herd that's behaving like a herd of dumb animals. While we assume that we are pursuing truth.

Humans are egocentric idiots. All of us,

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
One herd runs one way, another herd runs another. Yet we always think it's the other herd that's behaving like a herd of dumb animals. While we assume that we are pursuing truth.

Humans are egocentric idiots. All of us,
Most of the religious aren't pursuing truth, since they think they have found it. A big difference from what some of us believe.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Science does not assume naturalism in it's epistemology, it assumes it in it's methodology. It is open to the supernatural and does not say that there is no God and no angels etc.

As we know, science has not the tools to find the supernatural and any discovery of mechanisms to explain the natural world does not eliminate God or the supernatural from. It is just that the God of the gaps idea was wrong to begin with and God was not sitting in heaven and throwing lightning bolts etc.
God is the answer to the who question and science finds a "how" answer. And imo science goes too far in with the how answers and steps over into the sphere of theology,,,,,,,,, not on purpose however, it is just that it is wanting to find a naturalistic explanation for things that God has done and ends up defining things in a naturalistic way. eg science can see what chemicals do and what a brain does and ends up defining life and consciousness in terms of chemicals. All science can do is describe how a body might have evolved chemically and what a brain does when it works. It cannot say what life or consciousness it.
In this way science starts trying to fill gaps with naturalistic answers when there really aren't naturalistic answers.
If you think science has got it all wrong, then go ahead and demonstrate that. Actually demonstrate it, not just claim it.
Show us how you are supposedly detecting the undetectable, rather than just telling us you do. Show us that god is required for our explanations of the universe to make sense.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You cannot remove death. It is not evil, you say, because it is normal, natural and inevitable, therefore not imposed by a higher intelligent power. Greater than you or I. although the Bible refers to death as the last enemy. Perhaps you have no feeling about impending death and the natural circumstances of death. It just is what it is. I could go into more but I don't think I will now in reference to your viewpoint because you want to actually impose your views on others about God. Your opinion doesn't make sense to me anyway, because you say death isn't evil, evolution isn't evil, but then say God is evil because He allows you and me to live and face death.
So, you believe in god because you're afraid of death and you think god is your "get out free" card? Is that it?
I mean, you're really, really going on about this death thing ...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What's Christian?
All it takes to be a Christian is to claim that one is one. You may not agree with all Christians. They certainly do not agree with you. For example many Christians would probably say that those Christians that call their own God a liar are not "true Christians".

PureX

Veteran Member
Most of the religious aren't pursuing truth, since they think they have found it. A big difference from what some of us believe.
Most theists don't believe they've found any truth any more than most scientists believe they've found any truth. They are each living by their faith in the process. It's the "true believers" that think they've found the real truth, ... in their Bibles, in their mythical scientism, in the pursiut of power, money, fame, conquest, and whatever other forms of abject selfishness they can think of. Fortunately, they are a small percentage of the whole of us. Unfortunately they still manage to do a great deal of damage.

There are lots of human herds believing in and chasing after lots of different ideals. But none of them possess any actual knowledge of the truth. It's all driven by fear and ego.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Most theists don't believe they've found any truth any more than most scientists believe they've found any truth. They all just think they've found the means of living with it. It's the "true believers" that think they've found the real truth, ... in their Bibles, in their mythical science, in the pursiut of power, money, fame, and whatever other forms of abject selfishness they can think of.

There are lots of human herds believing in and chasing after lots of different ideals. And none of them have any actual knowledge of the truth. It's all fear and ego-driven.
Wouldn't you have to believe that you have the truth in order to determine that others don't?