• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
then geology is another science that you are clueless about.

so you don’t understand biology, you don’t understand chemistry, you don’t understand physics, you don’t understand astronomy, and now you reveal you are illiterate in geology too.
lol, no problem. like you do Isuppose. but that's all ok. Have a good one.

Brian2

Veteran Member
really?

are you forgetting King David committing adultery with already married woman, got Bathsheba pregnant, had her husband killed. Instead of killing David & Bathsheba, god had their baby son killed from slow agonising illness.

The only innocents were Uriah and David's son in this story, and yet god had a baby killed. If that’s not evil, then aren’t your morality is just as warped and as bad as the bible?

What did the son die from? How do you know it was slow and agonising?

gnostic

The Lost One
What did the son die from? How do you know it was slow and agonising?

Seriously? Did you just ask me stupid question?

2 Samuel 12:13-18

13 David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan said to David, “Now the Lord has put away your sin; you shall not die. 14 Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the Lord,[a] the child born to you shall die.” 15 Then Nathan went to his house. The Lord struck the child whom Uriah’s wife bore to David, and it became very ill. 16 David therefore pleaded with God for the child; David fasted and went in and lay all night on the ground. 17 The elders of his house stood beside him urging him to rise from the ground, but he would not, nor did he eat food with them. 18 On the seventh day the child died.

It took 7 days for the child to die from illness that God had inflicted.

gnostic

The Lost One
lol, no problem. like you do Isuppose. but that's all ok. Have a good one.

lava or molten rock or magma, are not sediments.

sediments are grains of mineral or powdery minerals that have been weathered from any rocks.

I have previously asked you, do you know what WEATHERING is, but you had never replied to me with an answer.

as I don’t care to explain what weathering to again, all I will say that wind, water and debris can break minerals from igneous rocks, and these minerals are the “sediments“.

so whenever you hear of sediments, they means the deposits of minerals, eg usually minerals like feldspar, quartz or mica.

When animals are buried in the ground of topsoil, about 45% are made of these sediments of minerals, about 5% are composed of organic matters (eg any wastes from animals and from plants, and bacteria, etc), and the rest of the rest of topsoil are just pores of the soil, often filled with either water or gases. But over time new layer of soil (becoming the new “topsoil”), while the original layer (the one where animals are buried), becomes layer of subsoil. As more layers buried the original soil, the less porous this soil become and the more dense it become, water, gases and any organic matters will drain away, even leaving only the sediments of minerals and skeletal remains of the animals or the hard shells of invertebrates.

over more than 10,000 years, but more like 10s or 100s of thousands of years, the sediments will become dense enough to turn into sedimentary rocks.

if the shell or skeletal remains of animals are not destroyed by the buildup of pressures in the sediments or not destroyed by acidity in the soil or by the enzyme from fungi or from bacteria, then it could lead to remains becoming fossilize.

Although I was never taught anything about fossils, I did learn about geology during my civil engineering course, learning some basics about different types of rocks that might be encountered during excavation and construction. Plus, in soil science, I do have some understanding the difference between topsoil, different layers of subsoil types and bedrock.

I may not be a geologist, nor soil scientist, but I still remember what I was taught in civil engineering. Which is lot more than what you would know. If you really want an expert, like a geologist, then you should ask any question to @shunyadragon as he would know lot more about igneous and sedimentary rocks.

Lava are not sediments, YoursTrue.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

lava or molten rock or magma, are not sediments.

sediments are grains of mineral or powdery minerals that have been weathered from any rocks.

I have previously asked you, do you know what WEATHERING is, but you had never replied to me with an answer.

as I don’t care to explain what weathering to again, all I will say that wind, water and debris can break minerals from igneous rocks, and these minerals are the “sediments“.

so whenever you hear of sediments, they means the deposits of minerals, eg usually minerals like feldspar, quartz or mica.

When animals are buried in the ground of topsoil, about 45% are made of these sediments of minerals, about 5% are composed of organic matters (eg any wastes from animals and from plants, and bacteria, etc), and the rest of the rest of topsoil are just pores of the soil, often filled with either water or gases. But over time new layer of soil (becoming the new “topsoil”), while the original layer (the one where animals are buried), becomes layer of subsoil. As more layers buried the original soil, the less porous this soil become and the more dense it become, water, gases and any organic matters will drain away, even leaving only the sediments of minerals and skeletal remains of the animals or the hard shells of invertebrates.

over more than 10,000 years, but more like 10s or 100s of thousands of years, the sediments will become dense enough to turn into sedimentary rocks.

if the shell or skeletal remains of animals are not destroyed by the buildup of pressures in the sediments or not destroyed by acidity in the soil or by the enzyme from fungi or from bacteria, then it could lead to remains becoming fossilize.

Although I was never taught anything about fossils, I did learn about geology during my civil engineering course, learning some basics about different types of rocks that might be encountered during excavation and construction. Plus, in soil science, I do have some understanding the difference between topsoil, different layers of subsoil types and bedrock.

I may not be a geologist, nor soil scientist, but I still remember what I was taught in civil engineering. Which is lot more than what you would know. If you really want an expert, like a geologist, then you should ask any question to @shunyadragon as he would know lot more about igneous and sedimentary rocks.

Lava are not sediments, YoursTrue.
I will say this, and ty for your answer. The big brooha about this arouse when I quoted a definition of lave from National Geographic and a poster said it was not credible. That definition said lava, among other things, was sediment. I'm not going to get into this much anymore for several reasons. The acrimonious replies from some is not helpful.

gnostic

The Lost One
I will say this, and ty for your answer. The big brooha about this arouse when I quoted a definition of lave from National Geographic and a poster said it was not credible. That definition said lava, among other things, was sediment. I'm not going to get into this much anymore for several reasons. The acrimonious replies from some is not helpful.

lava are molten rocks or even partially molten.

the problem is that you are misinformed

sediments are the result of “weathering”, not “melting”. They are two completely different processes, and yet you are confusing lava for sediments.

magma only formed into igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks are formed through crystallising of mineral sediments, and you don’t understand either.

like I said, I am not an expert or qualified geologist. If you want to understand more, then ask @shunyadragon , who is our resident geologist.

gnostic

The Lost One
Btw, @YoursTrue

while national geographic used to be scholarly journal publisher, they are now considered as popular magazine publisher, writing articles, not writing real scientific journals. Their agendas and missions have changed, so they are not peer-reviewed sources.

YoursTrue

sediments are the result of “weathering”, not “melting”. They are two completely different processes, and yet you are confusing lava for sediments.

magma only formed into igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks are formed through crystallising of mineral sediments, and you don’t understand either.

like I said, I am not an expert or qualified geologist. If you want to understand more, then ask @shunyadragon , who is our resident geologist.
All right, I'm obviously not a scholar in these fields. But when I saw the word sediment, it appears to me that technically speaking, not necessarily according to most if not all geologists, when lava stops flowing it is like sediment and has carried with it rocks from within the cavity of the volcano. Thank you for your response. Since I am not a scholar and do not wish to be like Dr. Semmelweis even if I am wrong or right, I'm going to stop with this now until I possibly can get an explanation from a professor in a local college or something like that where I can better understand it.

YoursTrue

Btw, @YoursTrue

while national geographic used to be scholarly journal publisher, they are now considered as popular magazine publisher, writing articles, not writing real scientific journals. Their agendas and missions have changed, so they are not peer-reviewed sources.
I would not dispute whether they are peer-reviewed, however as much as I respect a well-educated and intelligent person, I can't say I am too fond of peer-reviewed journals, from what I have read about them. Nevertheless, for a person like myself who would not understand a technical article written in terms I may not understand or question because it's an article, I do enjoy looking at some articles in National Geographic.

YoursTrue

When something rests after it flows, such as dirt in a stream, I consider it partially as sediment. But then, I could be wrong. Maybe?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
All right, I'm obviously not a scholar in these fields. But when I saw the word sediment, it appears to me that technically speaking, not necessarily according to most if not all geologists, when lava stops flowing it is like sediment and has carried with it rocks from within the cavity of the volcano. Thank you for your response. Since I am not a scholar and do not wish to be like Dr. Semmelweis even if I am wrong or right, I'm going to stop with this now until I possibly can get an explanation from a professor in a local college or something like that where I can better understand it.
When Basalt stops flowing it hardens to a very hard black to brown rock called basalt. Over hundreds of thousands of years it weathers to soil. Volcanic ash is ejected from volcanoes and resembles coarse sediment and gravel, but it too takes a long time to weather to weathered sediments lke sand silt and clay. There are beaches that are black from this coarse ash, bt they are often sharp angular particles like glassy obsidian (Volcanic glass. They will also weather over many years to form Sediment like is found in soils. Montmorillonite clay is one of the common sediment weathering products of Basalt and ash/

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Seriously? Did you just ask me stupid question?

2 Samuel 12:13-18

It took 7 days for the child to die from illness that God had inflicted.

So you said that God had the son die from a slow agonising illness because it lasted 7 days. OK, fair enough, so now I know you don't know it was a slow agonising death.

YoursTrue

When Basalt stops flowing it hardens to a very hard black to brown rock called basalt. Over hundreds of thousands of years it weathers to soil. Volcanic ash is ejected from volcanoes and resembles coarse sediment and gravel, but it too takes a long time to weather to weathered sediments lke sand silt and clay.
ok there's a lot there and I'd almost have to go over every word to really understand it. I can only guess from your nice explanation that is why some soils are better than others for planting. Now the problem is about volcanic ash. I understood it was molten (liquid) rock from the inside of the volcano that comes out in the form of molten rock and lays (settles) on the ground.

YoursTrue

So you said that God had the son die from a slow agonising illness because it lasted 7 days. OK, fair enough, so now I know you don't know it was a slow agonising death.
I was thinking something similar. It doesn't say the child had an agonizing death. And meantime, when a child dies, even if not agonizing, it's the parent that suffers emotionally a lot.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would not dispute whether they are peer-reviewed, however as much as I respect a well-educated and intelligent person, I can't say I am too fond of peer-reviewed journals, from what I have read about them. Nevertheless, for a person like myself who would not understand a technical article written in terms I may not understand or question because it's an article, I do enjoy looking at some articles in National Geographic.
Yes, you are still confused. Sediment is the particles of rocks and minerals that the stream carries. Think of sand or clay. That is sediment. Or coral or shells broken up into small pieces, that is sediment too. In other words sediment started as rock, was weathered and broken up, and then eroded and redeposited. For basalt magma comes to the surface. If it is often called lava then, but technically it is still magma too. It is mostly liquid. When the liquid solidifies that is totally different from sediments settling out of a stream. The magma was molten and it becomes solid. Does the water in a stream solidify? Please answer that question.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
ok there's a lot there and I'd almost have to go over every word to really understand it. I can only guess from your nice explanation that is why some soils are better than others for planting. Now the problem is about volcanic ash. I understood it was molten (liquid) rock from the inside of the volcano that comes out in the form of molten rock and lays (settles) on the ground.
I described Volcanic Ash and will add more how it weathers to red iron rich sediment particles of different minerals, and clays that form the soil sediments around volcanoes. Very fertile soils, but the original Volcanic Ash. Raw fresh Volcanic Ash like Basalt cannot grow anything. As weathering begins a few scraggly species exist in the cracks.

I am not sure where this line o reasoning is going, because you keep making nonsense statements about science,

What is the issue about sediments since you are clueless about the topic? I actually describe this before and you ignored it.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I described Volcanic Ash and will add more how it weathers to red iron rich sediment particles of different minerals, and clays that form the soil sediments around volcanoes. Very fertile soils, but the original Volcanic Ash/

I am not sure where this line o reasoning is going, because you keep making nonsense statements about science,

What is the issue about sediments since you are clueless about the topic? I actually describe this before and you ignored it.
Here is my guess as to why she is doing this. She had learned that sedimentary rocks are almost never dated absolutely. As you now one usually uses relative dating for sedimentary deposits. She also knows that one can date specific layers absolutely when there is a volcanic deposit of some sort. She will probably try to claim that since those are "sedimentary layers' that they cannot be dated absolutely.

The thing is of course is that if they were "sedimentary" but deposited in a way so that we could date them, then those would be an exception when it comes to sedimentary strata. I know, it is a pitiful argument. I would even concede that volcanic ash could almost be called "sedimentary" since it is deposited as different bits and pieces. That does not matter of course because the time from it leaving the volcano and its deposition is instantaneous on a geologic times scale it is of course still datable.

YoursTrue

@shunyadragon but here's the question. Well, one question. Maybe you answered it and I didn't quite understand it. So what does the lava (molten rock that comes out of the volcano) consist of? I mean there's liquid there, somehow, isn't there, in the material that comes out of the volcano (lava)? It's liquid rock, but what's the liquid and what's in the liquid? Maybe you answered it, if so, I apologize, but can you clarify?

YoursTrue

Here is my guess as to why she is doing this. She had learned that sedimentary rocks are almost never dated absolutely. As you now one usually uses relative dating for sedimentary deposits. She also knows that one can date specific layers absolutely when there is a volcanic deposit of some sort. She will probably try to claim that since those are "sedimentary layers' that they cannot be dated absolutely.

The thing is of course is that if they were "sedimentary" but deposited in a way so that we could date them, then those would be an exception when it comes to sedimentary strata. I know, it is a pitiful argument. I would even concede that volcanic ash could almost be called "sedimentary" since it is deposited as different bits and pieces. That does not matter of course because the time from it leaving the volcano and its deposition is instantaneous on a geologic times scale it is of course still datable.
I am not going to respond much right now to you. And am basically not following your posts. Sorry. But insofar as your statement that I learned that sedimentary rocks are almost never dated absolutely, I don't believe I ever said that, I don't know that, don't remember it, and am still on what is in lava. Thank you.