• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

looking for a belief system.

Ebionite

That is not Jesus' teaching.
They rewarded me evil for good [to] the spoiling of my soul.
But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing [was] sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
I behaved myself as though [he had been] my friend [or] brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth [for his] mother.
But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: [yea], the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew [it] not; they did tear [me], and ceased not:
Psalms 35:12-15

Mr. Ed

Love and compassion? Christian or Muslim. Both nutcases with love and compassion.
no doubt. When i speak of love i mean a willingness to allow life flow through unhindered and welcomed. Compassion is for what i cannot change but can accept even though contrary to my understanding and belief. Let life be my guide and my attitude is the compass I live by. Not perfect but what is as a way of life?
Naturally subject to change, for now suits my purpose.

Mr. Ed

My situation is limited to American Baptist as it involves my wife and my support to her. She is heavily into Christianity and the bible and I do not support either one. In my town faiths and beliefs are limited to Catholic, Christian, JW, and Bahrain, i would like to join a theology group to discuss god, however, given my understanding of Christianity and faith-based religions I turn away because of unsavory induction tactics and hidden agenda.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My situation is limited to American Baptist as it involves my wife and my support to her. She is heavily into Christianity and the bible and I do not support either one. In my town faiths and beliefs are limited to Catholic, Christian, JW, and Bahrain, i would like to join a theology group to discuss god, however, given my understanding of Christianity and faith-based religions I turn away because of unsavory induction tactics and hidden agenda.
It's up to you, but you can participate anyway. In college, I participated in a Christian theology group in spite of being a newly-recognized Pagan at the time. Turns out none of them ever tried to induct me or had some hidden agenda or if they did I didn't care and it was irrelevant for our discussions. I was respectful of their perspectives and they were respectful of mine. Your mileage may vary, granted.

Something else to add is that if there isn't anyone you know in your community walking a particular path, blazing the trail solo is an option. It's not the same experience, but in this information age of easy access to information you can start looking into whatever you'd like regardless of what has a visible presence in your local area. Since the pandemic many organized traditions offer virtual services too, which may open up options that weren't available a few years ago. Never know until you go exploring!

Mr. Ed

The need for religion has sharply decreased in numbers since the 1960's and 1970s. The sexual revolution open our eyes to the beauty of the human body and tested the limits of liberation on multiple points of social boundaries for approval and disapproval within the human arena. It used to be at least in my case, the church was a vital part of the community and almost everyone in the community attended church. The pastor was viewed in high regards and given special treatment by the community because he knew god better than anyone else or so it seemed.

If I brought the way I feel about faith and god to the table for discussion I would be dismissed and accused of heresy because my beliefs are contrary to church dogma. Are there more free thinkers now than 60 years ago? The church is losing revenue and members as more people question the validity of faith and the way they were taught to believe.

L4All

Grew up Christian. I am looking for a belief system that includes god, nature, spirit, love and compassion.

Any suggestions?
Any reason to look for the change? Just curious bcz the traits you mentioned are also supposed to be present in Christianity- Or are you skeptical about the trinity?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Any reason to look for the change? Just curious bcz the traits you mentioned are also supposed to be present in Christianity- Or are you skeptical about the trinity?
Not all Christians are trinitarians.

Mr. Ed

Faith based anything does not make sense to me. Requiring a host of circumstantial beliefs that would not exist without faith is not something I care to fool myself with.
To put it simply I do not believe in supernatural beings nor the power used to captivate the minds of people who choose to believe in these things.

About the afterlife; I doubt heaven and hell exist. There is no judgement that sorts believers from non-believers. Unlike scripture that condemns sinners to everlasting hell because they did not choose to follow (the bible is a record among other things, of Jesus life and ministry. My question how much do you believe the bible as a record of accuracy?

Why have there not been marvelous godly signs today as were recorded in the bible? It's hard for me to accept and believe a book of dreams and imagination in a non-fairy-tale world today.