• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for evidence linking Iraq to Al-Qaeda/911/WMDs.

kai

ragamuffin
In 2001, the Taliban claimed that growing poppy was 'un-Islamic.'

Year ................Cultivation in hectares.........Production (tons)

2002..........................74 000..............................3400
2003..........................80 000..............................3600

In 2007, 93% of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan.[34] This amounts to an export value of about $64 billion, with a quarter being earned by opium farmers and the rest going to district officials, insurgents, warlords and drug traffickers.[35]

60% of American heroin comes from Afghanistan..

I beleive the Taliban changed their minds on opium growing .

Daemon Sophic

In 2001, the Taliban claimed that growing poppy was 'un-Islamic.'
@ Dust1n -- Thank you for doing some digging.

Your posts indicate that there is an increase in recorded poppy seed production while (largely) under U.S. control, or at least while in conflict. The CIA has admitted to not being able (or at least willing) to divert resources to fighting the opiate trade while fighting over Afghan territories.
However; this does not qualify as proof for crazyKiwi's claim that "CIA make big money from drug imports."
Poor farmers in a war-torn land will produce whatever sells well and makes them money to feed their families and/or keep the local warlords from burning them out. If during war, there is a vacuum of law enforcement, then drug crops are a very profitable, and logical plant to grow.
Not many CIA operatives or bigwigs in Washington DC are rollin' in pimped out hummers with gold spinners and low-rider lighting. :sarcastic Nor are they buying vast retirement plantations in South America.
They are simply NOT doing anything to stop the poppy farming. :shrug:

dust1n

Zindīq
I beleive the Taliban changed their minds on opium growing .

Mainly because their economy was destoryed the following year, so alternatives to poppy growing were destroyed, leaving poppy growing as the only viable solution. The heroin trade in Afghanistan now accounts for half the GDP of the country.

dust1n

Zindīq
@ Dust1n -- Thank you for doing some digging.

Your posts indicate that there is an increase in recorded poppy seed production while (largely) under U.S. control, or at least while in conflict. The CIA has admitted to not being able (or at least willing) to divert resources to fighting the opiate trade while fighting over Afghan territories.
However; this does not qualify as proof for crazyKiwi's claim that "CIA make big money from drug imports."
Poor farmers in a war-torn land will produce whatever sells well and makes them money to feed their families and/or keep the local warlords from burning them out. If during war, there is a vacuum of law enforcement, then drug crops are a very profitable, and logical plant to grow.
Not many CIA operatives or bigwigs in Washington DC are rollin' in pimped out hummers with gold spinners and low-rider lighting. :sarcastic Nor are they buying vast retirement plantations in South America.

Very true. I was just adding perspective. Whether the CIA makes money on the drug trade or not, we'll never really be able to verify. We can be sure of other things:

Wiki:
"American CIA agents were helping smuggle opium out of Afghanistan, into the West, in order to raise money for the Afghan resistance.
The CIA supported various Afghan drug lords, for instance Gulbuddin Hekmatyar .[6] In particular, historian Alfred W. McCoy stated that:[7]
"In most cases, the CIA's role involved various forms of complicity, tolerance or studied ignorance about the trade, not any direct culpability in the actual trafficking ... [t]he CIA did not handle heroin, but it did provide its drug-lord allies with transport, arms, and political protection. In sum, the CIA's role in the Southeast Asian heroin trade involved indirect complicity rather than direct culpability."

But if you consider that fact that drugs were smuggled into American to fund Afghan resistance, and the Afghan resistance purchased the majority of their weapons from American's, than drug money was indirectly given to Western arms manufacturers.

Yerda

Veteran Member
There are probably CIA men making money from it. Just like NATO forces, NGOs and Aid agencies. Drugs and prostitution are usually decent business for foriegners in war.

.lava

Veteran Member
won't they need open air to grow plants? USA has many satellites to find them so i would guess Taleban can not do that job without being targetted

dust1n

Zindīq
More intersting information from the NY Times:
"
KABUL, Afghanistan — Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of the Afghan president and a suspected player in the country’s booming illegal opium trade, gets regular payments from the Central Intelligence Agency, and has for much of the past eight years, according to current and former American officials.

Ahmed Wali Karzai, right, the brother of President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, at a campaign event in Kandahar in August.
articleInline.jpg

The agency pays Mr. Karzai for a variety of services, including helping to recruit an Afghan paramilitary force that operates at the C.I.A.’s direction in and around the southern city of Kandahar, Mr. Karzai’s home.

The financial ties and close working relationship between the intelligence agency and Mr. Karzai raise significant questions about America’s war strategy, which is currently under review at the White House.

The ties to Mr. Karzai have created deep divisions within the Obama administration. The critics say the ties complicate America’s increasingly tense relationship with President Hamid Karzai, who has struggled to build sustained popularity among Afghans and has long been portrayed by the Taliban as an American puppet. The C.I.A.’s practices also suggest that the United States is not doing everything in its power to stamp out the lucrative Afghan drug trade, a major source of revenue for the Taliban.

More broadly, some American officials argue that the reliance on Ahmed Wali Karzai, the most powerful figure in a large area of southern Afghanistan where the Taliban insurgency is strongest, undermines the American push to develop an effective central government that can maintain law and order and eventually allow the United States to withdraw.

“If we are going to conduct a population-centric strategy in Afghanistan, and we are perceived as backing thugs, then we are just undermining ourselves,” said Maj. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, the senior American military intelligence official in Afghanistan.

Ahmed Wali Karzai said in an interview that he cooperated with American civilian and military officials, but did not engage in the drug trade and did not receive payments from the C.I.A.
The relationship between Mr. Karzai and the C.I.A. is wide ranging, several American officials said. He helps the C.I.A. operate a paramilitary group, the Kandahar Strike Force, that is used for raids against suspected insurgents and terrorists. On at least one occasion, the strike force has been accused of mounting an unauthorized operation against an official of the Afghan government, the officials said.

Mr. Karzai is also paid for allowing the C.I.A. and American Special Operations troops to rent a large compound outside the city — the former home of Mullah Mohammed Omar, the Taliban’s founder. The same compound is also the base of the Kandahar Strike Force. “He’s our landlord,” a senior American official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Mr. Karzai also helps the C.I.A. communicate with and sometimes meet with Afghans loyal to the Taliban. Mr. Karzai’s role as a go-between between the Americans and the Taliban is now regarded as valuable by those who support working with Mr. Karzai, as the Obama administration is placing a greater focus on encouraging Taliban leaders to change sides"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/world/asia/28intel.html?_r=2

kai

ragamuffin
2 September 2009 - Opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan is down 22 per cent, opium production is down 10 per cent, while prices are at a 10-year low. The number of opium poppy-free provinces has increased from 18 to 20 out of a total number of 34, and more drugs are being seized as a result of more robust counter-narcotics operations by Afghan and NATO forces.
These are the findings contained in the summary findings of the Afghan Opium Survey 2009, released in Kabul today by UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa. This annual survey covers the planting cycle from May 2008 to June 2009.

Afghan opium production in significant decline

dust1n

Zindīq
2 September 2009 - Opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan is down 22 per cent, opium production is down 10 per cent, while prices are at a 10-year low. The number of opium poppy-free provinces has increased from 18 to 20 out of a total number of 34, and more drugs are being seized as a result of more robust counter-narcotics operations by Afghan and NATO forces.
These are the findings contained in the summary findings of the Afghan Opium Survey 2009, released in Kabul today by UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa. This annual survey covers the planting cycle from May 2008 to June 2009.

Oh finally. Change!

Aquitaine

More intersting information from the NY Times:
"
KABUL, Afghanistan — Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of the Afghan president and a suspected player in the country’s booming illegal opium trade, gets regular payments from the Central Intelligence Agency, and has for much of the past eight years, according to current and former American officials.

Ahmed Wali Karzai, right, the brother of President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan, at a campaign event in Kandahar in August.
articleInline.jpg

The agency pays Mr. Karzai for a variety of services, including helping to recruit an Afghan paramilitary force that operates at the C.I.A.’s direction in and around the southern city of Kandahar, Mr. Karzai’s home.

The financial ties and close working relationship between the intelligence agency and Mr. Karzai raise significant questions about America’s war strategy, which is currently under review at the White House.

The ties to Mr. Karzai have created deep divisions within the Obama administration. The critics say the ties complicate America’s increasingly tense relationship with President Hamid Karzai, who has struggled to build sustained popularity among Afghans and has long been portrayed by the Taliban as an American puppet. The C.I.A.’s practices also suggest that the United States is not doing everything in its power to stamp out the lucrative Afghan drug trade, a major source of revenue for the Taliban.

More broadly, some American officials argue that the reliance on Ahmed Wali Karzai, the most powerful figure in a large area of southern Afghanistan where the Taliban insurgency is strongest, undermines the American push to develop an effective central government that can maintain law and order and eventually allow the United States to withdraw.

“If we are going to conduct a population-centric strategy in Afghanistan, and we are perceived as backing thugs, then we are just undermining ourselves,” said Maj. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, the senior American military intelligence official in Afghanistan.

Ahmed Wali Karzai said in an interview that he cooperated with American civilian and military officials, but did not engage in the drug trade and did not receive payments from the C.I.A.
The relationship between Mr. Karzai and the C.I.A. is wide ranging, several American officials said. He helps the C.I.A. operate a paramilitary group, the Kandahar Strike Force, that is used for raids against suspected insurgents and terrorists. On at least one occasion, the strike force has been accused of mounting an unauthorized operation against an official of the Afghan government, the officials said.

Mr. Karzai is also paid for allowing the C.I.A. and American Special Operations troops to rent a large compound outside the city — the former home of Mullah Mohammed Omar, the Taliban’s founder. The same compound is also the base of the Kandahar Strike Force. “He’s our landlord,” a senior American official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Mr. Karzai also helps the C.I.A. communicate with and sometimes meet with Afghans loyal to the Taliban. Mr. Karzai’s role as a go-between between the Americans and the Taliban is now regarded as valuable by those who support working with Mr. Karzai, as the Obama administration is placing a greater focus on encouraging Taliban leaders to change sides"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/world/asia/28intel.html?_r=2

Interesting. Didn't Hamid Karzai formerly work at UNOCAL before? I haven't been able to verify that just yet though.

Smoke

Done here.
The CIA has admitted to not being able (or at least willing) to divert resources to fighting the opiate trade while fighting over Afghan territories.
The CIA has a long history of involvement with drug trafficking; it was particularly active in this field under Reagan and G.H.W. Bush, including opium/heroin production in Afghanistan.

I don't know what the agency is doing in Afghanistan now, but news that it was involved in the drug trade wouldn't exactly be a big surprise.

kai

ragamuffin
Declaring it un-Islamic and burning down poppy fields? Yes.

It appears much more efficient than the American government's method.

well it appears it no longer considers it un-Islamic and its ISAF and the Afghans that are eradicating it. I agree the Taliban methods were more efficient but I prefer our methods.

dust1n

Zindīq
well it appears it no longer considers it un-Islamic and its ISAF and the Afghans that are eradicating it. I agree the Taliban methods were more efficient but I prefer our methods.

Ours isn't efficient. Anytime we have been involved with the general area, the production rates go up. Just because it went down 10% in a year doesn't mean we didn't help create and facilitate 90% of it in the first place.

kai

ragamuffin
Ours isn't efficient. Anytime we have been involved with the general area, the production rates go up. Just because it went down 10% in a year doesn't mean we didn't help create and facilitate 90% of it in the first place.

you cant do it overnight --well you can if you are ruthless enough.

The number of opium poppy-free provinces has increased from 18 to 20 out of a total number of 34

Aquitaine

That's a 'significant' decline?

Not only that, but was/is all the lives, money, gear and effort we're putting into this conflict simply worth it?

:no:

People may find my anti-war stance as un-patriotic, but quite frankly I put it this way: I don't want British soldiers being killed over pointless/unwinnable wars that arn't going to positiviely affect them in any way, shape, or form.

If it was a war for survival then so be it, but that simply isn't the case here, same with Iraq.