• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

Dodie, Dodie, Dodie... .

Some people just want attention. No way is that bill going to get signed by the governor.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Some people just want attention. No way is that bill going to get signed by the governor.

From the New York Times

A law signed by Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday makes the state the only one with such a mandate. Critics have vowed to mount a constitutional challenge.

June 19, 2024 -- Updated 5:22 p.m. ET
Gov. Jeff Landry signed legislation on Wednesday requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in every public classroom in Louisiana, making the state the only one with such a mandate and reigniting the debate over how porous the boundary between church and state should be.​

Did somebody say "no way"?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Dodie, Dodie, Dodie... .

Wow, did you read the OP? Did you read the first paragraph of the OP?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Dodie, Dodie, Dodie... .

I think, you know, that you might at least consider the INTENTIONS of those who passed this bill. Not every harm that villains intend happens, but because it doesn't happen doesn't necessarily kill the intent. You really do seem to have very little grasp of human nature, and the fact that malevolence, just because it is foiled, doesn't turn to benevolence. It regroups and tries harder.

Regiomontanus

Orthodox

Good for LA

Twilight Hue

From the New York Times

A law signed by Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday makes the state the only one with such a mandate. Critics have vowed to mount a constitutional challenge.

June 19, 2024 -- Updated 5:22 p.m. ET
Gov. Jeff Landry signed legislation on Wednesday requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in every public classroom in Louisiana, making the state the only one with such a mandate and reigniting the debate over how porous the boundary between church and state should be.​

Did somebody say "no way"?
There's a can of worms. Of course it will be challenged via the Constitution.

In the meantime look on the bright side. it doesn't have to include a picture of Billy Graham alongside the Commandments.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There's a can of worms. Of course it will be challenged via the Constitution.
Of course. And with the Supreme Court skewed so far to the Christian right, I've little doubt that Thomas or Alito could find some bizarre reason to dismiss such challenge.
In the meantime look on the bright side. it doesn't have to include a picture of Billy Graham alongside the Commandments.
Oh, good. Supercilious, holier-than-thou portraits just leave me cold.

Twilight Hue

As long as I am free to post my own religious ethics up, I don't care.

If I'm not given equal representation, then this is unconstitutional.

I looked again at the official website and the status is still pending to be signed by the governor.

Give it a day or two to see if updates, if not then it's fake news that the governor signed it

Twilight Hue

Of course. And with the Supreme Court skewed so far to the Christian right, I've little doubt that Thomas or Alito could find some bizarre reason to dismiss such challenge.

Oh, good. Supercilious, holier-than-thou portraits just leave me cold.
Louisiana website hasn't reflected it as being signed it's still pending so I'm going to wait a day or two. If it is isnt updated in a couple of days then it's fake news as far as I'm concerned.